New Keith Urban Amp

Interesting, everyone keeps talking about the 5F8 amp but I only have the 5F1 in my list of amps. Running f/w 19pb3 and have indeed refreshed Axe Edit after updating the f/w (some time back now in fact). Is this a typo or am I indeed missing something?

Darned if that wasn't the case. Don't know how I missed that latest update. Senior moments are happening far too frequently these days. Thanks.

This may be a stupid question, but how did you know to set the bass to 0? I"ve played with this new model and i was excited about it, but I just didn't think it sounded that good. But when i listen to your recording it sounds great. It has a nice vintage and "real" vibe to it that I dig, but I just couldn't pull that sound out of it. I wasn't using your chose IR"s though. But I would never put the bass to 0 regardless. Is that something that is fairly common in Fender based amps, to take a lot of the bass out? I guess I'm trying to learn more about how to dial in a certain amp than replicating a preset etc.....

Thanks man

Not a stupid question. Non-master amps, especially early circuits are built to be played clean. Only by accident did guitar players start liking overdrive and distortion. Once you start turning up the volume knob on a non master amp, the preamp signal into the power amp becomes very important. Too much bass frequencies and you loose all detail and punch. You overload the poweramp.

So, as a basic rule of thumb for me, any non-master volume amp, as the volume control goes up the bass control goes down. This usually results in a setting of 0 if I max out the volume.

...typically, I don't run amps on 10.. .too much gain, but this tweed twin doesn't distort too much so 10 works.

This is why I need an axe. Volume knob only is needed for tonal variety, and to let the fingers do the talking.

the same IR captures I basically use for everything

Cab Pack 8
•R121 C1 Ace
•SM57 C1 Ace

Still loving Cab Pack 8 Tyler? :) I'm glad to hear that. So it's the go-to Pack for all sorts of blues and.. thrash metal. :lol

I need to hook you up with some more IRs. I'll email you. ;)

the same IR captures I basically use for everything

Cab Pack 8
•R121 C1 Ace
•SM57 C1 Ace

I was using some of the Bulb pack alloys with this amp at much lower gain settings and it sounded great, but holy shitballs does this combo ever sound good cranked up with this amp. Now the question is what 2 IR's do I replace in my humble MKII's memory banks?

I was using some of the Bulb pack alloys with this amp at much lower gain settings and it sounded great, but holy shitballs does this combo ever sound good cranked up with this amp. Now the question is what 2 IR's do I replace in my humble MKII's memory banks?

yeah, good luck with that :)

This may be a stupid question, but how did you know to set the bass to 0? I"ve played with this new model and i was excited about it, but I just didn't think it sounded that good. But when i listen to your recording it sounds great. It has a nice vintage and "real" vibe to it that I dig, but I just couldn't pull that sound out of it. I wasn't using your chose IR"s though. But I would never put the bass to 0 regardless. Is that something that is fairly common in Fender based amps, to take a lot of the bass out? I guess I'm trying to learn more about how to dial in a certain amp than replicating a preset etc.....

Thanks man

I will reply from my experience, so others may disagree with me :) - my experience is that I have too much bass on pretty much everything. At first I thought it was the emulations not being quite good, but then I actually played through a expensive tube amp and I found that I still have too much bass even when dialed all the way down, and I wasn´t even using my guitar ..., so my explanation for me is, that somehow I make the amp have too much bass. Now with the AXE I can tame it and with firmware 19 I don´t have to do much.

to sum it up - generally I find I need to turn the bass down a lot to get a good tone for me, especially in a band setting. so my advice would be - don´t be afraid of extreme settings - try them and hear if you like them :)

cheers

Interesting, everyone keeps talking about the 5F8 amp but I only have the 5F1 in my list of amps. Running f/w 19pb3 and have indeed refreshed Axe Edit after updating the f/w (some time back now in fact). Is this a typo or am I indeed missing something?

You need to reset all blocks iif you haven't yet , happened to me too

Edit: NM I somehow missed that you were only on b3

Yeah, not sure how I missed the final 19 update, but got it running now. That 5F8 Urban amp is nice. I set up a quick preset based loosely on Tyler's description with two of the factory cabs (I don't have Cab Pack 8 yet but I think it's on the short list for must haves). Sounds different than Tyler's of course, but still great with my Strat. After 4 plus decades of playing, this black box never ceases to amaze me and is hands down one of the best gear buys I've ever made.

I'm running the Tweed Twin with Drive at 2.25 and bass at 0.
It sounds awesome with my Strat and my Les Paul, without adjustment.
That's for clean tones only, no breakup.

- my experience is that I have too much bass on pretty much everything.
This is a golden rule for playing with a band... if it sounds a little too trebly and lacking in bass when playing alone, then it's probably right. Round bassy tones just disappear in a band setting, especially if you have a keyboard in the mix. The settings Dojo is suggesting are actually more common in good band settings than not.

I haven't tried this amp yet, but whenever I'm working w/ Fenders in the Axe ....

I stick w/ the old "Magic Six" theory of dialing in those types of Amps. Seems to work on the real amps, seems to work on the models too ... !

I'm digging it. I dialled in a similar setting to Gamedojo and rolled the volume off a bit. Love how touch sensitive this amp is.

file:///Users/DionRushe/Desktop/Axe%20FX%20Keith%20Urban%20Amp%20Sound%20Bite.mp3

I swapped my favorite cleanish preset with the Keith Urban amp to see if i would also fall in love with it. To be quite honest with you i didn't find that amp to be anything special. Now i am NOT saying that this amp inst a gem. i just tweaked for a few minutes but no magic. Can someone post some presets, clips or even just some solid settings so that i can get into the ball park? i am using a Fender American Deluxe with Vintage pickups. i am looking for a clean to edge of break up sound. Thanks!!

edit: I am using TAF_WAT_MIX IR - perhaps there is a more appropriate IR for this Amp.

Did you try the Keith Urban cab IR? It's now #20 in the cab block.

Back
Top Bottom