New John 5 album is quite the ride...

I've always known he was a great guitarist, but I hadn't really listened to much by him. I caught him as the guest guitarist on That Metal Show last season and that opened my eyes a bit. His new album came out in May and it reinforces what a consummate musician and guitarist John 5 is. It's hard to recommend a tune, the whole album is impressive. There's a mixture of hard rock, metal, folk, classical, flamenco, and other styles sometimes within the same tune. None of the chicken picken he's known for, but the album's overall tone is fairly heavy so that was probably a deliberate choice.

John 5 - Beat It (Michael Jackson cover) - YouTube - he honors Eddie but doesn't copy him note for note. This song really works as an instrumental. Here's a tune that would probably go over in most settings since the tune is so well known and it would allow you to shred and get away with it.

John 5 - The Castle - YouTube - this is a killer acoustic tune in which he channels Jimmy Page, flamenco, classical, and I don't know what else.

I like every tune on the album. Great songwriting, over the top ridiculous chops, great tone, there's a lot to like on this album for guitarists.

Haven't got his latest. Loved his first one, the 2nd one was pretty good overall and had some great moments, and then after that it started to sound to me more like backing tracks with noodling over the top. Not really into that kind of instrumental guitar thing. Might have to check out some of the newest stuff, see if I can get into it. :)

I'm a huge john 5 fan, though I haven't heard the new album. I need to own that.

I thought it was really cool for his first album he had an option online to get the cd signed and personalized. I'm glad he's finally getting some recognition.

DNW - that's my problem with most instrumental guitar albums, the whole "noodle over the backing track" feel that most of them have. I think this one is better thought out compositionally. While there definitely is some wailing on a few of the tracks, they still stand up as songs and not just simple chord changes to solo over.

Sidivan - I think he still does the personalization, although I didn't opt for it. You can also get his instructional dvds that way I think. The new album came with a doc dvd that I've watched about half of, and it shows him playing (I think) actual takes in the studio of the album. At least he seems to be recording, even if it wasn't the take used on the record. He's one of those guys that makes you want to practice or put away the guitar forever.

I LOVE John 5's rhythms and songwriting. But his solos are usually underwhelming to me and just seems like his right hand goes into super pick mode and his hands just got up and down, without any real accuracy. It sounds like noodling to me. But then those rhythm tracks come in and they are awesome.

I've seen Zombie with him twice (and just bought tickets for a 3rd time), and I've been quite impressed. I've been meaning to check his solo stuff out.

Back
Top Bottom