NEW IR: Echoplex TAPE

jsantiago

Well, here's an IR I did the same day I was working with my favorite old Echoplex. To clarify, the Echoplex PREAMP IR was done with the tape cartridge removed so nothing but the preamp would come through the output of the unit. I also did another with the tape back in, but the mix control fully wet to the tape. So now what you have is the sound of the preamp plus the frequency response of the NOS Echoplex tape!

Now this is the part that took a while. That specific tape has a very aggressive splice that not only makes the tape slip (creating a deep "wow" in pitch), but also a split second drop out in the audio. (The tape used to splice is non-magnetic. So that makes sense that the head cannot record for that moment.) What ends up happening is a rhythmic, almost random, tremolo effect on the repeats. I love that sound for making pads.

What I've done is used the Sequencer to bump a few things in the delay simulating what my unit does. But, instead of waiting a couple minutes for the splice magic, you'll get it every few seconds. I've never been able to re-create this phenomenon until recently. Combined with the tape IR, this preset gives me a lot of the quirky little things my Echoplex does. I'm beyond happy now to share this with you. Hopefully I haven't bored you all to death by now...

Here's a clip of what it sounds like:
Spliced Clouds by J_Santiago on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

JS

Links and Info:

Echoplex TAPE:
Axe-Change - Download Other - Echoplex TAPE - by jsantiago

Spliced Clouds Preset (with programmed wow and dropout)
Axe-Change - Download Preset - Santiago Spliced Clouds - by jsantiago

IR's Used
Echoplex TAPE
Altec Cone Paper U357 Ava

Use SEND block's "Send Level" to set the amount of delay repeats/feedback
For mix level, use MIXER block and adjust "Gain 3" to taste

Last edited:
James, another big thanks here for sharing not only stellar IRs, but a really fantastic patch that puts them to use. Can't wait for this week of insanity to be over so I can play with them!

James, thanks for being one of us. We deeply appreciate your contributions, as you have talents and gifts that a lot of us just don't have. We appreciate the toils of your labor.

Really cool. This can be dropped right into the loop on the preset "Time,FB,Mod,Jitter ABCD"

Would love to see you and Cliff work together to measure the nonlinearities in that pre+tape system for re-creation as a drive block type (in comparison to the more pristine tape dist.

Back
Top Bottom