New info about AXE 2 front panel jacks...

BrianJ

Inspired
I know there was some discussion awhile back on the Ultra about moving the back panel connections to the front, people were trying to source 7-pin MIDI connectors that fit in a standard Neutrik D-pattern cutout...well, I've talked with the guys from Redco, and they've found a source for them!!! They had one sample so they sent it to me to make my panel...you can fit most of the connections from the back into one 16 space RP-116 panel...I left out the AES output as I won't be using it...and I'll use one of the TRS patchbay connections for the expression pedal...everything else is on the RP-116 panel. Redco said they should have the 7-pin connectors in stock shortly, so, if you're wanting to move all your connections to the front, cleanly, here's what it'll look like...

Left side...

IMG_1509.jpg

Right side...

IMG_1512.jpg

Full view...

IMG_1507.jpg

This allows easy access for patching whatever I need in/out of the Vs2480 recorder and G8 Synth as well. It looks professional and clean...give the guys at Redco Audio a call, they'll hook it up for you! Redco Audio - Custom Audio Cables - Recording Studio Supplies - Custom A/V Panels - Redco Audio Home Page

wow 15 equalizers arent enough???

15 eq's??? I don't have 15, lol! I have 7 channels of TC1128's and the digitech meq dual-14. I use one tc1128 in front of the Axe 2, then the output of the Axe2 will go into the MEQ-Dual14 stereo...the rest of the TC1128's will be used for spectrum analyzing and EQ'ing the 24 track recorder for the studio...but any EQ as well as the AXE 2 can be used for processing any track if need be...that's the plan anyway!

IMG_1514.jpg

I did a panel that's a bit more spartan. At this point, all I really need on the front panel is MFC and Out 1 XLR. I added jacks for USB and 1/4" because I use those a fair bit as well.

AxePanelFront.jpg

One of the things I liked about the parts I selected was the no-solder nature of the project. I'm okay at soldering but definitely don't enjoy it so I was more than happy to spend a couple extra bucks to avoid it. I can use regular USB, Cat 5, XLR, and 1/4" cables to hook things up.

AxePanelBack.jpg

In the "If I were doing it over again" category:

• Get extra blanks. I thought the panel only had 12 openings so I only got 6 blank covers. That's why there are four "cooling vents" on the sides.
  • Get the labels printed at the bottom instead of the top. That would make them more readable with the latches at the top.
  • Don't forget the extra ethercon jack for the other end. :-( Now I have to find another one for my the breakout box on my pedalboard.
  • Total cost of the panel, jacks, labels, and screws was ~$85 shipped. I'd be happy to share the bill of materials for those who are looking to do something similar.

I have a panel as well. Again not complete yet - i have to add a USB pass through (have the d type but not a short enough cable yet), and only use mono really (except the XLR out to desk or PC) so only have those ip's. I also haven't fitted an output 2 as I use that to feed my power amp (output 1 is stage/recording EQd in global, OP2 is EQd for low volume home use which feed the two amp channels). I did include input 2 (labelled aux) so i can run dual chains for the odd occasion I want a patch for acoustic guitar and electric at the same time. I found a UK source of "blanks" that fit into a D-Type hole, allowing a standard Midi socket (5 or 7 pin) to be screwed in. it will take either the ones shown in the OPs photos, or the standard type with the oval(ish) flange as seen in my pic.

I have fitted my panel to the rear of my rack - to allow me to plug in without having to venture into the dark recesses of the rack:) i also have access to my Power amp outputs as well for attachment to a speaker cab (the Speakon outs). I have also converted the J45 to an Ethercon socket - and the same on my board meaning I have a more rugged link there.

I need some blanks and another vented blank - but Im good to go really. The velcro is used to tie up my power cable (one cord), guitar lead, midi lead (for now and Ethercon when I get my AFX2) and speaker cable into the back of the rack for transit.

P1020566.jpg

Board:

P1020563.jpg

Last edited:
I did a panel that's a bit more spartan.

<snip>

• Get extra blanks. I thought the panel only had 12 openings so I only got 6 blank covers. That's why there are four "cooling vents" on the sides.
  • Get the labels printed at the bottom instead of the top. That would make them more readable with the latches at the top.
  • Don't forget the extra ethercon jack for the other end. :-( Now I have to find another one for my the breakout box on my pedalboard.
  • Total cost of the panel, jacks, labels, and screws was ~$85 shipped. I'd be happy to share the bill of materials for those who are looking to do something similar.

Great stuff.

I'd love to see the bill of materials...

This awesome!!! I will surely do this soon.

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

Great stuff.

I'd love to see the bill of materials...
Ask and thou shalt receive...
  • 1 x RP116 XLR Rack Panel
    This is probably overkill. The 12 hole RP112 is probably easier to deal with unless you decide you need 16 holes. There's also an 8-hole panel that I might pick up instead.
  • 1 x Neutrik NE8FDP
    For my MFC. I need to get a second one for the breakout box on my pedalboard. That way I can use an ethercon-ethercon connection and save wear and tear on the RJ45 jack on the MFC.
  • 1 x Neutrik NAUSB-W
    USB feedthru. Since I move my Axe2 between a "gig rack" and "home rack", most of the time I don't need USB in the rack where this panel lives but it might come in handy...
  • 2 x Redco Panel Mount XF/XM Feedthru
    XLR feedthru
  • 2 x Redco Panel Mount TRS Feedthru
    They don't have TR feedthru jacks so I got these TRS ones.
  • 6 x Neutrik DBA Hole Cover Plate
    Should've gotten 10 to fill up my 16 hole panel.
  • 1 x 100pc 4-40 Countersink Screws-SILVER
    Don't forget the screws! This item includes nuts w/star washers.
  • 6 x DP PLATE Custom Connector Labels
    Custom labels. All the ones I got were XLR-style. Type I won't be blocked by cables but Type II won't be blocked by levers. I'll probably just flip my jacks so the levers are on the bottom.

The panel with all the connectors and label plates was just under $120...then you'll have some in wiring, depending on how you choose to do that and how long you want to make the run...

The cabling and connectors will likely cost you more than the panel itself when it's all said and done if you're using decent stuff like Mogami/Neutrik etc. I have learned that studio gear ALWAYS costs more than the advertised price because you still have to buy those damn cables. :)

The cabling and connectors will likely cost you more than the panel itself when it's all said and done if you're using decent stuff like Mogami/Neutrik etc. I have learned that studio gear ALWAYS costs more than the advertised price because you still have to buy those damn cables. :)
Another reason why I went with a minimal set of connections in my patch panel. I have plenty of appropriate-length cables ('cept maybe Cat 5) so that wasn't an issue.

If you don't have the cables, it might be a good time to invest in a soldering iron, heat gun (for shrink tubing), etc. If you're building a bunch of cables, they'll pay for themselves quickly.

Mine came in at around £90 including cables (for those in the UK). I had some spare cables alreasy (instrument, XLR and MIDI) that I cut to length, but had to get the Ethercon cable, and some speakon cable.

Back
Top Bottom