New IA Backtracking Feature

GM Arts

Fractal Fanatic
I don't know if other controllers can do this, but I've just added an IA backtracking feature to my homemade controller that I think is pretty cool. :cool:

Normal PC backtracking is available on several controllers; for example, press P1 to choose a patch, then press P7 to choose another, then press P7 again to go back to P1. In this example you can keep pressing P7 to toggle between the two patches.

So what's IA backtracking?

Let's say when you start with P1, the Chorus is on by defualt and you turn it off, then you turn on an overdrive stomp, a reverb boost as well, and start using the wah pedal. You then change to P7 for a different sound, but now when you press P7 again to backtrack, it goes back to P1 with all your IA changes! Chorus is off, overdrive on, reverb boosted and wah pedal on.

I've also integrated this with another powerful feature I call "Intelligent CC resets" but I won't go into that here. If you're interested, you can read about it here: > http://www.gmarts.org/html/mfc.htm
Click on the "Backtracking" link in the index. In my document I've called this feature by its real name "CC Backtracking" (there's no such thing as an IA MIDI message).

Cool :)
My old Digitech sort of does that, but not quite -- each IA may do a number of things, and clicking it a second time (depending on it's settings) can revert to the prior IA selection -- a bit like a single-step undo.

Your solution definitely seems even more flexible!

Cool!

Xavier at Gordius will add a similar feature in the next generation firmware.

GM Arts said:
Smilzo said:
Cool!

Xavier at Gordius will add a similar feature in the next generation firmware.
:eek:
Maybe I should keep my ideas to myself in future?

the little giant already has a preset backtrack feature.
And months ago Xavier wrote this will be further improved.
No copycat here. :)

ok - fair enough thx!

Now no one will believe I didn't copy. I guess we all improve based on our collective ideas.

GM Arts said:
Maybe I should keep my ideas to myself in future?

Naah!! Let's share! :)

I made a req to Xavier about a way to retain CC status per preset.
After lot of thinking and ideas, Xavier come out with a flexible and clever way. Very different from your algo, but similar in results! :)

Kudos to your controller! :mrgreen:

That's a neat idea. I wonder if you could take it even further and make it more flexible by implementing some sort of IA state buffering.

On a standard controller, the IA state gets reset when a preset button is pressed. Your implementation,as I understand it, stores the "edited" IA state of a preset so that when the user jumps back to that preset, the edited state is called up rather than the default. If the user presses that same preset button again, you could clear the edited state and go back to the default. So when moving from oen preset to another, a single tap on the second preset's button would call up the edited state, or a double tap would call up the default.

With my GCP, I make use the IA-reset function of presets to sequentially activate and then instantly deactivate some effects. But I can also see potential uses for presets remembering IA state. Double tapping a preset to reset it seems like a decent compromise that could work with a lot of rigs.

Or, obviously, you could make the state memory optional on a per-preset basis.

tnolanjr said:
That's a neat idea. I wonder if you could take it even further and make it more flexible by implementing some sort of IA state buffering.

On a standard controller, the IA state gets reset when a preset button is pressed. Your implementation,as I understand it, stores the "edited" IA state of a preset so that when the user jumps back to that preset, the edited state is called up rather than the default. If the user presses that same preset button again, you could clear the edited state and go back to the default. So when moving from oen preset to another, a single tap on the second preset's button would call up the edited state, or a double tap would call up the default.

With my GCP, I make use the IA-reset function of presets to sequentially activate and then instantly deactivate some effects. But I can also see potential uses for presets remembering IA state. Double tapping a preset to reset it seems like a decent compromise that could work with a lot of rigs.

Or, obviously, you could make the state memory optional on a per-preset basis.

That's exactly how my controller works now! I didn't elaborate on the "Intelligent CC Reset" option that I use, but briefly, the first press on any current patch resets CCs to the patch defaults if any CCs have been changed since patch selection. A second press on the same P footswitch reverts to normal backtracking.

The other neat thing I've implemented is that the controller "knows" if there are no CC changes when you turn some effects on then off again (or vice versa) so it doesn't try to reset CCs if there are none to reset.

I'm not really a fan of multiple presses for live work, so if I was doing this again, I think I'd have a dedicated BACK footswitch for toggling between the last 2 patches and keep the P footswitches for patch selection/reset only. Much simpler in the "heat of the battle" IMHO.

Here is an idea (don't know if it is even possible)

but how about creating hack chip (or whatever) that can be installed (replace an internal component) in a GCP to give it advanced capabilities like those of a LF or Gordius (i.e. Axe sync, IA states, Mac/PC programming etc). Basically I am talking about a "mod" to make a dumb box smart.

folks would buy those by the boatload.

so nice to dream ...

jhuggins said:
http://www.gordius.be/midi-footcontroller-lgm.php kinda like this ;) ;) im pretty sure you just described what he's done with the fcb

Yep that is definitely in line with the vision ---- except the cost makes it a no go for me. $600 is a little too steep. At that price point it makes more sense to buy a smart controller.

If somebody can do "mods" to something like a GCP and turn them into smart boxes for under $200 and turn them around in a week-- this person would become the Robert Keeley or "Analogman" of midi controllers.

I wish my FCB1010 had this feature. It is so useful and makes switching back and forth quickly so much easier than having to tap dance all over the place just to switch between two presets.

it exists: the Uno-chip for the Behringer FCB.
Fron Xavier ( Gordius).

LVC said:

but how about creating hack chip (or whatever) that can be installed (replace an internal component) in a GCP to give it advanced capabilities like those of a LF or Gordius (i.e. Axe sync, IA states, Mac/PC programming etc). Basically I am talking about a "mod" to make a dumb box smart.

so nice to dream ...

I looked at that -- from what I read it does not appear to turn the FCB into a smart box (maybe I missed something).

I don't think it can do the following

1) Grab preset names
2) Grab effect states
3) auto-sync with Axe
4) Pass-through tuner

Those are the basics I would look for in a "smart box".

Smart boxes are great for dumb midi challenged users like me.

yek said:
it exists: the Uno-chip for the Behringer FCB.
Fron Xavier ( Gordius).

LVC said:

so nice to dream ...

I'm still looking for a car mechanic to hack into my car computer to turn my car into a Ferrari. If someone could do this for about $200 they'd make a fortune too :lol:

well it's what under the hood that counts ... at least that is what I keep telling myself :lol:

GM Arts said:
well I'll be &%#$!

but still, it won't LOOK like a Ferrari :D

Back
Top Bottom