New Hybrid Rig: AFXII + Xitone + Smallbox + Mojotone

Rig_zpseqjz3lpc.jpg

Just finishing up the latest version of my hybrid rig. It includes my AFXII and a stereo pair of Xitone open back cabs. I decided to mix it up (again) and bought a Friedman Smallbox combined with a custom Mojotone 2x12 (diagonal) cab loaded with a pair of Celestion Heritage G12Ms.

I've been updating patches to incorporate 4CM routing and this has given me all the flexibility in the world. I can put AFX effects towards the front of the signal, then route signal to both to my Smallbox+Mojotone as well as route additional AFX stereo effects (delays, verbs, whatever) through the Xitone cabs.

I'm using the RJM Mastermind GT-22 as my controller, and I've started using two external expression pedals to mix in volume separately for dry and wet signals.

The Fryette Power Station functions as a load box and attenuator for the Smallbox.

Also have a Torpedo C.A.B. coming out of the Power Station so that I can mix Smallbox + Speaker IRs back into the Xitones (without using the AFX).

External mixing/routing is done with a Rane SM82 line mixer. This allows me to mix AFX signal, Smallbox signal (+IR), iPad, and Macbook audio through the Xitones. I can also "send" any of those back into my Macbook for recording.

I've also incorporated an iConnectivity MIO-10 for super flexible MIDI routing. All MIDI devices connect in and of there.

Just wanted to add that I'm still a big fan of the AFX + stereo Xitones on their own. I still have a lot of patches that don't incorporate the Smallbox at all. It's an amazing modeler/effects processor and the stereo Xitones were revolutionary for me.

This rig has been evolving for quite some time with a lot of gear in and out - pedals, rack effects, etc. I'm impressed with every bit of gear that's found it's way into my current setup. Incredible sounds and a lot of fun! Super easy to change things now and get the sounds that I'm looking for. First time in a while that I find myself playing more than tinkering.

How do you like the open backed XiTone's?
I really really like them. I had a closed back Xitone cab that I had been using for a while, and enjoyed that as my first serious FRFR experience. So - I recently made the jump to a stereo pair and went with his open back cab model. I think moving from mono to stereo (for me) was as much fun as the initial move to FRFR. And the open back cabs really seem to fill up the room nicely.

Quite often I don't even use the Smallbox and it's cab - the AFXII and Xitones are an amazing combination.

Back
Top Bottom