New Hot Rod Amp Comparison: Brit Super (AFD100) vs. FastRod (Splawn Quickrod)

ptgold

Inspired
It would be great If anyone has tried these in real life and can reaffirm what Im hearing.

AFD100: Bright, Thick, Fuzzy...... similar to the HBE in feel and sound although this one is just a bit warmer. Can get a bit fizzy with too much gain so I usually back it off

QuickRod: Tight with lots of body and its also surprisingly warm. I feel its in the same tonal region of the BE but still different.

Extremely fun to play both of these models. i dont really have a favorite yet but I might be swinging towards the QuickRod more depending on my mood.

The Brit Super is on fire! You can actually hear it sizzling like some tubes are about to explode!

Great for classic VH stuff. Love it!!

I've played the AFD once. I liked the Plexi channel better than the 800. I remember how great was the feel and the vibe on this amp. The same special satisfaction happened when I first try the Superbrit model. It's very close to the real thing in sound and feel. It can indeed be fuzzy with the master volume set too low and the drive too high. The sweet spot seems to be around 4.50-5.00 on the master volume. In fact, just like Cliff mentionned, sweet spot on the master volume is now wider on 7.0 amps models. I set the gain at about 4.0 and adjust master volume from there. Just like with real amps, less is better than too much. I rarely set the drive pass 5.0 and I'm a big gain and sustain lover. Things gets muddy and you loose clarity pass this point. For more gain, I engage the boost function, or the saturation mods. Or I put a boost pedal in front of the amp. I've never played a Splawn amp but I've done several research on the net about it over the years. The model in 7.0 sounds good. You need to set the master volume a bit lower than other models just ike the HBE, around 3.80 seems to be the sweet spot. Higher than this, things gets flubby real quick in my opinion. And don't under estimate the important or the cab you choose to pair with your amp model. For hotrods Marshalls, I've done several tests using different combination. I came up with a perfect set up consisting of a H75 and the Cali cab with no mic and about 20% air. I can really dial hair metal shredding tones with that combination, with every Marshalls models in the box.

Back
Top Bottom