New HiRes FX8-Edit Screenshots

philipacamaniac

Fractal Fanatic
The web wizards at FAS posted some new eye candy for us to stare at while we wait for the release. EDIT: See post #5 below. No additional effect blocks are being added. The original list is still correct.

The main screenshot for FX8-Edit shows some tabs that have swapped positions since the previous screenshots (MIDI PCs and Gate/Out). Also slightly redesigned interface for controlling the relays (two pulldowns versus four toggles).

01.png

Another shot with the FX8-specific Config tab that shows the series/parallel routing and bypass options.

01b.png

Another shot shows the modifier popup, which looks identical to the one in Axe-Edit.

02.png

Now... where's that PDF manual? :D

Last edited:
The web wizards at FAS posted some new eye candy for us to stare at while we wait for the release. ALSO: According to the new FX8 page, the Multiband Compressor, Crossover, and Resonator blocks are now included (a reversal from previous info). Obviously since it hasn't been released, I'm assuming everything is still subject to change.

The list of effects included with the FX8 has not changed. With the launch of the new website, our web developer inadvertently included some effects on the FX8 that are not actually included. We will be adjusting the site.

the routing appears to be very restricted/basic. If another effect is added in parallel mode. How would that be configured in such a simple config screen? another block in parallel? a parallel series of effects (better)?

I really think a grid in the AxeFX way would be better in all aspects AND more intuitive.

the routing appears to be very restricted/basic. If another effect is added in parallel mode. How would that be configured in such a simple config screen? another block in parallel? a parallel series of effects (better)?
You can put them all in parallel if you want to.

It's a safe bet that the Synth block is still included. The FX8 One-Sheet PDF seems to be the final word on the matter.

I really think a grid in the AxeFX way would be better in all aspects AND more intuitive.

While I agree with you that I would much prefer a grid layout (even a simplified grid like a 8x2 or 8x4), I disagree that the grid is more intuitive. Much more flexible, sure. But the simple option of "do I want this effect in series with the effect before it, or in parallel?" is more intuitive than the grid, especially to non-Axe users (the intended demographic of the FX8).

That said - not being able to run two effects in series with each other, both in parallel with the rest of the signal (very common with shimmer setups), is definitely a major limitation, but probably more than we could ask for with the slower DSPs and the price point.

I really , really like it ,Would be cool if the AX8 when available did something similar and then had a grid view under "config"

This looks super easy and intuitive to me

...not being able to run two effects in series with each other, both in parallel with the rest of the signal (very common with shimmer setups), is definitely a major limitation...
Remember the market. The typical user will use the FX8 to replace their pedalboard. When was the last time you saw pedals hooked up in parallel, let alone series-parallel? ;)

Remember the market. The typical user will use the FX8 to replace their pedalboard. When was the last time you saw pedals hooked up in parallel, let alone series-parallel? ;)

Just today, with my Boss LS-2. :lol

Seriously though, I agree, the typical board is just straight series, so even having the options of parallel and a moveable loop are great.

Just today, with my Boss LS-2. :lol

Seriously though, I agree, the typical board is just straight series, so even having the options of parallel and a moveable loop are great.
Okay, you win. I should have seen that coming. :lol

Rack switchers can do it, too, but they're usually used as an either/or kind of thing, same as the LS-2. I think the vast majority of FX8 owners won't miss it at all.

I agree. Most people that wish to buy the FX8 are probably doing so to replace units such as the Line 6 multi-effects products. I have the Line 6 M13 multi-effects board which is a good unit but is prone to volume fluctuations when switching between scenes and guitars, and sticky foot pressel switches. If the FX8 truly has "unity gain", then that will be a huge plus. My goal is to have a unit that does it all, is totally reliable and maintains the same o/p gain constantly, unless a volume pedal (like the FAS EV-1) is used. I'm personally not overly concerned with the pre/post debate, but at the end of the day it's all about personal choices.

If the FX8 truly has "unity gain", then that will be a huge plus. My goal is to have a unit that does it all, is totally reliable and maintains the same o/p gain constantly, unless a volume pedal (like the FAS EV-1) is used. I'm personally not overly concerned with the pre/post debate, but at the end of the day it's all about personal choices.
The FX8 will give you unity gain, above-unity gain (if you're using a Drive block, you might want it running hotter than unity), below-unity gain (maybe for a laid-back passage in a song)...whatever you like. You get to set your own levels for each preset, each scene, each block.

Back
Top Bottom