New here, I want an Axe FX!

The MK I & II units are selling like mad right now being that it was stated recently that there boot rom is almost at capacity.

It thought this was resolved by limiting how far back the MKI and II could roll back the modelling version (to FW15)?
Or is this still considered to be a temporary fix that may just grace the MKI and II with another few updates?

Regarding the OP, if you can grab a MKI or II and a really good price, I still think it is worth a look. I own one and at its current state it is phenomenal. I jumped in at FW17 and even then it was enough to convince me to sell my tube amps; things have only gotten better since then.

The AX8 is worth a look too if you are on a budget as you get an all-in-one unit that you can gig with - the rack units will require an additional purchase of a foot controller.

I have both the AX8 and MKII and so far there is nothing I'm missing on the AX8 (yet). It does come down to how complex your signal chains are and whether you use dual amps - personally I have not found dual amps to work that well live, so I rarely use them - but I know many people that get a great sound live with dual amps.

and from what I've read the AX8 doesn't include mic modeling, and I love messing around with stuff like that.

Honestly, you don't need the mic modeling - I have never used it on my AFX MKII.
I much prefer to use IRs that have the mic baked in.

It is much more satisfying messing around with IRs in Cab Lab.

Dual amps is not something you might necessarily need

I don't use two amps simultaneously currently (although I did, and most probably will do for stereo setups), but I do use presets with two amp blocks to avoid the gap when switching X/Y.

It thought this was resolved by limiting how far back the MKI and II could roll back the modelling version (to FW15)?
Or is this still considered to be a temporary fix that may just grace the MKI and II with another few updates?

Who knows. But the bell rang, and the warning came.

This. It makes me want to play more than ever which is making me a better player. Just an absolute dream to play.
Also, the AxeFX is very revealing. Its amp models are every bit as dynamic and responsive as the physical amps, so it rewards good technique. The AxeFX has actually changed how I play as a result.

Last edited:
I don't use two amps simultaneously currently (although I did, and most probably will do for stereo setups), but I do use presets with two amp blocks to avoid the gap when switching X/Y.

I see the purpose. But the fact is that not everyone does that. If the OP falls into that category, he can live witout it like the rest of us.

Congratulations on choosing to get an Axe-Fx. I hope it won't be long until you have one and that it brings you as much enjoyment as mine has me.

But until then.................................

I%20have%20an%20Axe-Fx%20II%20and%20you%20dont_zpslsrxvy4o.jpg

:D:p;)

Most IR's already have the microphone baked in. So the mic modeling isn't really that usefull anymore.
thats what I've been reading. I do plan to play with all the stock cabs though, and I've read a lot are mic'd with a neutral mic.

Like someone posted a clip using the German 4x12 with the Sm57 mic, and it sounded badass. How much of a difference would taking the mic sim off make?

Don't go into the tunnel Man... it's addictive!!! :p
I gotta man. It's calling me.

I see no one asked what your usage is like.

-If you generally use one - five amp models in a night of gigs or playing, take that into account (i.e. maybe just a Mark I/II or Axe8 is your best option.)
-If you are a tweaker sort where you can't leave well enough alone, then the XL+ is a better option. Multiple amps, lots of FX, stoopid space for cabs and presets, etc. (Yes, the Mark I/II can do multiples as well, but limited storage space and as others have mentioned, it's approaching the limits of upgrades...again, Fractal might have some wizardry there, but the end is coming nonetheless.)

I would also encourage you to go the 'new' route. Fractal products are very reliable, but I personally would rather buy something that's basically a computer from the source...support if needed is crucial. Also take a long look at the MFC, it's a great product and you'll want one sooner rather than later.

Either way, welcome aboard and you'll be pleasantly surprised at what a 'modeler' can sound like.
I do not gig, this is just a huge hobby, I've been playing electric since I was 13 (25 now) and I dont plan to stop. But I love to record and make music, and I feel my gear has been holding me back.

As I said I'm not completely opposed to the AX8, but I'm just not really feeling it. I'd like to have a unit on my desk with the controls facing me, not tapping on switches and getting all dirty possibly. If I get an Axe and somehow an Axe III comes out sooner than later, I'd love to keep my resale value to sell and fund it.

I'm a huge tweaker, but I don't feel I need space. I probably would keep under 20 presets. So the Mark versions wouldn't hold me back in that regard, but with its potential nearly at peak, and the XL having room for many future updates, the XL/+ seems more... I don't know... Gratifying?

Congratulations on choosing to get an Axe-Fx. I hope it won't be long until you have one and that it brings you as much enjoyment as mine has me.

But until then.................................

I%20have%20an%20Axe-Fx%20II%20and%20you%20dont_zpslsrxvy4o.jpg

:D:p;)
It hurts. Look at that beautiful machine.

Well at one time I was confronted with the same decision as you, accept the question was an Ultra or the AFXII. After months of researching, endless reviews and what-not, I couldn’t deprive myself any longer and went for the II (Flagship @ that time). 2 weeks ago I sold my II (held its value extremely well for this type of equipment) and upgraded to a new XL+, just so I can stay on the FW gravy-train, I mean the evolutionary ride was almost as much fun as what the Axe did for me as a guitarist.

Bottom line: the question is already answered within you, now you’re just looking for confirmation and justification. Do yourself a favor, go out and have a nice dinner for one and discuss it with yourself, I’m sure the 2 of you will find an answer. ;)

I do not know the AX8, but for basic things it should have the same sound and quality. I think for gig's and regular stuff its a very compact good solution. If you want to tweak till dawn the ax fx 2 (I would not bother about XL or not) is the way to go. I have an Axe fx 2 XL , there was no AX8 when I bought it. At this time I might consider it, if I would have to choose.
Anyhow , I had lots of modelers before and none of them pleased me really. The axe is the best thing I ever bought and still pleases me a lot . If I have to redo it, I'll buy it again. Great thing is the many free updates that really makes the difference and this forum, they give you really big help in achieving your tones that make you play till ...your wife gets stressed over it because you seem to have disappeared from the globe... :)...

@Solarfire (It won't let me quote without saying my post contains spam??)

Usually I'd be stubborn and be like "but....." but you're absolutely right. I want the XL/XL+, period. And I guess I was genuine about wanting opinions on going ahead with a lesser model, but I still wanted justification on just getting the best thing out there right now.

I'm just going to keep saving, I'm halfway there already, and just see if I can manage the XL+ new unless bills just pile up or something.

Also, probably the last question I have.
Will I be able to load up the Gen1 IR's? Specifically the infamous Metal 4x12 that was supposedly used on a few albums. I'd love to have it for fun, but I've read it's been taken out after one of the firmware updates.

@Solarfire
Usually I'd be stubborn and be like "but....." but you're absolutely right. I want the XL/XL+, period. And I guess I was genuine about wanting opinions on going ahead with a lesser model, but I still wanted justification on just getting the best thing out there right now.

I'm just going to keep saving, I'm halfway there already, and just see if I can manage the XL+ new unless bills just pile up or something.
Based, on what you've posted here, this absolutely sounds like the right decision for you, definitely don't question yourself any further (IMHO). I think anything else would leave you with buyer's remorse.

I know for some folks' personal and financial situation the AxeFx's price puts it into that 'funny' psychological territory where it feels like not just a luxury item but a true extravagance. So we have seen many a thread where the original poster is basically going through a public exercise in rationalizing to themselves whether they and their music are 'worth' it. Well you are; and you won't regret it if music is a true passion for you. Your time on this earth is limited.

Last edited:
^^^^^ THIS !!!!! ^^^^^

Bookmark it and refer others to it on a regular basis !

It speaks to me as the essence of being true to your "art" ( or in this case musical art ) !!!!

Not many ways to say it better in my mind.

Lots of good advice, But MK I / II's sound just as good as an XL..... and really where we are at, the tone is there to match any current/past amp. Only thing I can see for the future is updated, expanded effects and I/O routing abilities. Maybe building your own amp....which you can halfway do now with all the advance parameters?! Pricing is a incredible steal for a MK I with a MFC in the range of 1600-1800 for what you get in my opinion....:cool:

I haven't attempted to do the math involved with my transition to the AxeFX II XL and MFC-101 MkIII. Here are the rough calculations.

Previous Rig
  • Mesa Boogie Lonestar with flight case
  • Pedaltrain Pro pedalboard with flight case
  • Voodoolab Pedal Power Digital power supply
  • Empress Buffer+
  • Line6 M13
  • Sonic Research Turbo Tuner
  • Way Huge Pork Loin
  • Keeley 4 knob compressor
  • Strymon Lex
  • Malekko Spring Chicken reverb
  • Wampler Sovereign Distortion
  • Xtotic Effects EP+
  • Mission Engineering VM-1 volume pedal
  • Mission Engineering SP-1 expression pedal
  • Mission Engineering Expressionator
Purchasing the AxeFX and MFC cost me over $3200.

After less than a month I was on tour with the AxeFX, and was fully committed to it. I sold all of the gear listed above, which netted me around $2300. Then I sold my other tube amps, and a bunch of my non-touring pedals. The rest of that gear wound up totaling over $1200.

Granted, this doesn't cover the investment I made in a pair of FRFR speakers and a power amp, but even so, going from my previous rig to the AxeFX probably only cost me around $1000, once you factor in all the gear that I sold. I don't even own a tube amp at this point, which is weird to say, given that I had been using tube amps since 1977.

With the AxeFX, I have access to amps that I would otherwise never get my hands on. I spend more time playing, and much less time messing with boxes on my pedalboard. Dialing up a great tone in the studio is easier, and I can effortlessly re-amp, or re-track because I can recall the exact settings that were used, including the mic. For touring, I'm carrying a significantly smaller, lighter system, which means I'm saving money on cartage.

It's the single best gear investment of my career. I'm a working musician, and when I was entering my credit card info to make the purchase, you better believe I was thinking "wow, this is a big purchase." I felt confident it was a good move. based on (1) the reputation of Fractal Audio Systems in the pro community (2) the people on this forum who spoke of their experience with the system and (3) the roster of pro musicians, who play every imaginable style of music, who could be playing ANYTHING they wanted... and they speak glowingly of the AxeFX. In the years since I made the purchase, I've been delighted with the AxeFX. It always sounds amazing, and it becomes more magical with every FW upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom