New here, I want an Axe FX!

RyanD

I'm tired of bad modelers. I don't have the space, or really the need, for an amp (sold my Mark IV about a year back) and I'm looking for an all in one unit that will keep me happy for years.

My Pod HD is being used as an interface and collecting dust, I can't stand the modeling. People have tried to convince me to get a Kemper, but it just doesn't seem like what I'm after.

So there's the Axe FX. I'm fairly dead set on finally getting one.

The question is WHICH one.

I'm primarily looking at used units, I don't have a lot of money, but I'm saving up little by little and soon I'll be able to get one.

I can get the Ultra fairly cheap. I could buy one right now out of pocket. But I keep reading how the II is drastically better in all regards. So that brings me to Mark I vs Mark II vs XL vs XL+. I know the differences, but I'd like some opinions.

Does anyone know when the non-XL will quit receiving updates? I know there's is an active thread about it, but it seems as if it's getting the same Quantum firmware recently.

Would it be wise to get a second hand Mark I or II to save nearly $1000? Save even more and get the Ultra?

I'm so undecided!

You could get the AX8, that might be your cheapest option. Then you won't need to worry about firmware update limitations either.

The MK I & II units are selling like mad right now being that it was stated recently that there boot rom is almost at capacity. I would pick one of those up. At the current state of the current firmware even if they stopped releasing firmware tomorrow for the MK I & II units they are at a state where the modeling is phenomenal and you could enjoy the unit for years to come as it is. If you can swing the extra cash then I would definitely pick up an XL or XL+. much more room for growth in it. I started with a used MK II unit to see if I liked the Axe FX and once I knew I did, then I purchased a brand new XL+ to get the extra space for user IR's.

Yeah, i second the AX-8 unless you specifically need/want a rack format and the extra power. Don't get the Ultra. I had the Ultra and it's great but you'll be wanting the Axe II soon after you get it.

Also, who cares when firmware support ends? These things sound amazing as-is and even if the Axe-FX III came out next year (it won't), the current gen would still be amazing.

Also I have a Mark I with no intention of upgrading. It makes me so happy it's ridiculous. Found it online for 1300 a year ago.

I may be the forum's biggest gen1 (Ultra, Standard) advocate :), but honestly if you are looking for one unit to hold you over for a long time and are using you HD for an interface, I think I would strongly recommend one of the II series rack units. If you want a foot controller, are only likely to use one amp at a time and are willing to pick up an external interface: AX8.

So:
  • Ultra/Std - No longer supported, software editor is no longer updated, no audio interface or USB. 10 IR slots. Stable! Super fiddly to dial compared to the IIs. Sounds way more awesome than people give it credit for now that the II exists.
  • AX8 + Interface. Cheaper by far counting the foot control. Some CPU limitations. Needs an external box for computer audio interface. What it does have sounds as good as the rack units. Super portable.
  • MK I/II - Probably can find a bargain. Lower memory. Tons of CPU, two amps at a time, no problem. Sounds great. Will likely stop getting updates before the XL/XL+ unless Cliff keeps performing magic on optimization.
  • XL/XL+ - Most capable. Most memory. Longest expected life prior to new hardware. Most expensive.
If money was no object or you are looking to buy a unit and hold it indefinitely, I personally would get the XL series if buying today. If you are looking to save some coin or will require a foot controller, get the AX8.From your OP, it sounds like money and time may be a big issue; so this might be enough to merit the AX8.

For the Marks or Gen1s play them first. They are crazy capable and for most could be a 'last unit' for anyone with a discriminating ear (and patience in the case of the Gen1s) but if you buy one of those two assume that you don't get to ride the upgrade wave as long as everyone else. For some people this is HUGE problem a number of folks sold as soon as Cliff indicated updates might someday stop.

FWIW, I own an Ultra and Mark 2. When FW updates stop for the Mark my plan is to hold both units indefinitely. I am only likely to buy again when there is new hardware (or I wish, software); I may not even do it in that scenario. I will probably stop frequenting this forum, though, TBH.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies so far guys. I'm heavily leaning towards just saving for the XL+ and possibly just buying new. if a Mark comes up at the right price I may get that.

I've noticed though that people are selling XL's (not even the plus!) for $2500+ but the list price is only around $2300. Was there a recent price drop?

And I'm not too concerned about eventually not receiving upgrades. Hell people have recorded albums with the Ultra and it sounded fantastic. But I wouldn't be able to try other people's presets from a newer firmware I'm not able to upgrade to. That's kind of a bummer, even if the current firmware is more than enough.

I'm not too interested in the AX8. I've had the HD500 long enough to be burnt out on a pedalboard modeler, and from what I've read the AX8 doesn't include mic modeling, and I love messing around with stuff like that. I have no use to step on buttons at the moment. But for the price... Its hard to say its completely out of the question.

I've noticed though that people are selling XL's (not even the plus!) for $2500+ but the list price is only around $2300. Was there a recent price drop?

You see that type of stuff at times there is a wait list.

It's just a high demand unit that's frequently out of stock, and there are buyers who will pay more because they want it ASAP.

Last edited:
and from what I've read the AX8 doesn't include mic modeling, and I love messing around with stuff like that.

First off I think you're on the right track and zenaxe's post above REALLY nails it ( IMHO, of course ).

But the comment I'd make based on your statement that I quoted would be most, if not ALL of the 3rd party IR's now have the mic and/or mic combinations baked into the IR itself. So, in that type of scenario you'd never need the internal mics .... You'd just need to choose the IR with the mic and/or mic combination that you want ....

Just food for thought ....

GOOD LUCK !

I had the same "problem".
I had a std, an ultra, and just ordered an axe fx II.
You'll be diosappointed if you get an ultra, compared to waht a II can do (sound wise).
The axe edit with the ultra, if you're lucky enough to make it work, is a pain in ... you know.
Then the modelling capacity of the II are surreal.
Honnestly, i thought about getting an XL or XL+, but there's so much to do with a MKI/MKII, that you'll probably never need anything else.
My 2 cents ..

If you invest in an XL, you don't have to worry about firmware upgrades ending any time soon, though at this stage the quality of the modeling is excellent as is. That said, a new XL+ comes with a warranty, and since it's new it may last longer than hardware that's been around for several years.

You want to get into Quantum firmware so if you can't get an XL+ get an AX8. And buy new so you get the warranty. I just got a brand new XL+ (long time MKI owner) that had to go back for a warranty issue. Certainly not the norm but it pays to buy new.

IMO, I would get an XL or XL+.

My XL+ is one of the best purchases I've ever made and I've never regretted pulling the trigger. I don't foresee an Axe-FX 3 being released anytime soon, so the XLs will have the most longevity.

The AX8 isn't as powerful and has missing features that I use, so personally I wouldn't consider it. But it works for others...

I'll echo the recommendation from PumpkinKing86. The XL / XL+ really has the power to handle more complex signal chains. In certain cases I could get by with an AX8, but I'd miss the dual-amp chains that I use in many of my patches.

My XL has been powered off for the last 10 months since purchasing the AX8. I usually have fairly simple presets with compressor/wah/drive/amp/GEQ/delay/reverb/enhancer. That runs me about 80%CPU. I'm out twice a week or more with it. It's just super portable.

As bdrepko has mentioned, you won't have use of the mics like you think cause it doesn't work like in some other modeler devices or software where you can change the characteristics of the cab according to selected mic. These mics here have a role of a sort of EQ presets, it contributes to the sound only as a spice. Instead of that, you load an IR that already has the desired mic baked in.

As for the AX8, maybe you could reconsider it. Dual amps is not something you might necessarily need. If you're using any DAW, you could easily take 2 tracks with different amps/cabs for your recordings. Most of the FX you'll find inside and if it happens that you miss any, your DAW can most probably fix that.

I think for the price of the AX8 you get a more than a decent device in range of your budget. If you think you need more, gather some extra cash, sell the thing and buy an AXE FX whichever you think then it's the right choice.

If it bothers you that AX8 is a foot controller, operate it from the table. I hope it's more important what's inside.

Last edited:
I see no one asked what your usage is like.

-If you generally use one - five amp models in a night of gigs or playing, take that into account (i.e. maybe just a Mark I/II or Axe8 is your best option.)
-If you are a tweaker sort where you can't leave well enough alone, then the XL+ is a better option. Multiple amps, lots of FX, stoopid space for cabs and presets, etc. (Yes, the Mark I/II can do multiples as well, but limited storage space and as others have mentioned, it's approaching the limits of upgrades...again, Fractal might have some wizardry there, but the end is coming nonetheless.)

I would also encourage you to go the 'new' route. Fractal products are very reliable, but I personally would rather buy something that's basically a computer from the source...support if needed is crucial. Also take a long look at the MFC, it's a great product and you'll want one sooner rather than later.

Either way, welcome aboard and you'll be pleasantly surprised at what a 'modeler' can sound like.

Back
Top Bottom