1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

New happy Axe-Fx III owner here

Discussion in 'Axe-Fx III Reviews' started by phil92, Nov 15, 2018.

1. #1 phil92, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    phil92

phil92
    Expand Collapse
    New here

I received this thing about two weeks ago and like it more and more. I'm not a working musician; I work in VFX but love to play at home, riffing some metal, learn some Dream Theater, Van Halen or GnR, you know, just to keep busy and free my mind.

I loooove my Mark IV and was mainly going for the Axe FX for the effects, the amp sim was supposed to be just a bonus. In my limited experience with amp sims I have always been missing a sort of natural feel. Every cab sim sounded boxy and boomy or tubby to me and was no fun to play at all.

So I set up the Axe with the Boogie and my JBL studio monitors in the 4CM and was immediately impressed with the quality of the reverb and delay.

[​IMG]

Fast forward a few days and a little bit of time with the axe (as much as I could manage besides the job, having just moved house, 3 kids and a new additional baby) and I find myself not even switching on the Boogie at night. More often than not I go straight for the Axe and it's so much fun!
    It feels natural and very amp like. It's fun to do a few quick tweaks but I don't find myself going down the rabbit hole of endless tweak orgies; I still mainly play guitar.

And then the frequency at which FW updates are developed and pushed out is such a huge advantage. You're basically buying into the future.

Thanks fractal, this thing rocks!

Cheers,
    philip

2. pauly

pauly
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Hi Phil,

Congratulations! Amazing isn't it... The Mark IV will be gathering dust and you'll start to notice how much room it takes up that could be used for more guitars :)
    Oh - and that's 4 kids haha
    Have you checked out Axechange? Have you got AustinBuddys preset pack? - Have you checked out Moke's presets? Get into it.
    Thanks
    Pauly

phil92, bradlake and Moke like this.
  3. Tahoebrian5

Tahoebrian5
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Congrats on the purchase .. And the new baby I suppose :)

I find it just as fun to tweak and find new sounds as it is to play.

phil92 likes this.
  4. RobMFX

RobMFX
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

I just got mine about 2 weeks ago as well its awesome! Enjoy!

phil92 likes this.
  5. api4u

api4u
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Nice amp, there. I've had several Mark IVs, but never wound up with a basket-weave - always wanted one, but thought I'd bang it up too much gigging. Also had a TOV and ROV, but got rid of all of them, now that I have the AFX. I've kept a few amps, but don't have any Boogie, any longer.

Welcome aboard, and enjoy!

phil92 likes this.
  6. maorgr

maorgr
    Expand Collapse
    New here

got my axe 3 yesterday !

pauly, reclavea and phil92 like this.