New Guitar Days: Wolfgang Specials

Those are sweet! I've had GAS for a Peavey Wolfgang Standard lately. Those birdseye maple necks are 😍 The EVH Stealth is pretty amazing too. Maybe one day...

When you're shopping for a made in Japan version etc, do you just believe the seller? Or are there specific tells that aren't easy to fake?
The MIJ Special is quite a bit different than the MIM. So if you don't believe the "made in japan" on the back of the neck, look for the Birdseye maple neck, non-carved top, no compound radius fretboard. All things considered though, I prefer the MIM.

Last edited:
The MIJ Special is quite a bit different than the MIM. So if you don't believe the "made in japan" on the back of the neck, look for the Birdseye maple neck, non-carved top, no compound radius fretboard. All things considered though, I prefer the MIM.
Thanks.

What would you say the analogous tests for MIM would be?

Really diggin’ the stealth. The binding is the icing on the cake. I could definitely own one of those.

When you're shopping for a made in Japan version etc, do you just believe the seller? Or are there specific tells that aren't easy to fake?
Check the serial number as well. They are stamped onto the side of the headstock. It will say something like WG10****J.
That translates to Wolfgang made in 2010, the actual numbers and J for made in Japan. C is for made in China and M is for made in Mexico.
They stopped making them in Japan in 2011 I think. They moved production to China after the Fukishima disaster. I believe 2014 was the first year of Mexico production but not 100% on that date.

Congratz... these look great! These are appealing to me more these days... I keep watching Sweetwater and MF to see if they have any specials but they are always backordered... I may just go ahead and get a standard, the baked neck look inviting and they have those. Wonder how these necks compare to my Charvel EVH Art Series.

I've never picked up a EVH and played it. Does it feel like a LP or PRS scale? It looks like it because of the headstock. Also, does it have the speed knob for volume (or tone as EVH labeled it)? I've thought about installing an EVH 'speed' knob. I'd like to be able to flick that thing up and down without the friction. And I hear they are sturdy.

I've never picked up a EVH and played it. Does it feel like a LP or PRS scale? It looks like it because of the headstock. Also, does it have the speed knob for volume (or tone as EVH labeled it)? I've thought about installing an EVH 'speed' knob. I'd like to be able to flick that thing up and down without the friction. And I hear they are sturdy.
It's a 25.5" scale, so it's longer than either a LP or a PRS. But, it seems shorter (to me anyway) because of the unusual placement of the neck on the body. The volume knob is low friction and the tone knob is high friction.

Back
Top Bottom