New Guitar and a Tune that wrote itself...

Narsh

Experienced
Ever had one of those songs that just writes itself?

Well, this was one of those, I didn't want to alter it anymore because it just poured out.

I got this LTD EC401VF in a trade earlier this week and I absolutely love it. You get some great rock tones out of it. Nice fat piece of mahogony with an Earvana nut, grover tuners and new Duncan JB/59 pickups.

Hope you guys enjoy the listen as much as I enjoy playing it...

I like it. What guitar did you trade out?
I got rid of the Ibanez SIX6FDFM - in the end, the model number was just too confusing! LOL

Just kidding, the guitar was a great guitar but not totally to my liking. Here are my gripes:

The neck was way too thin for me and where I am at in my playing.
The trem arm was always wiggling even after a heap of silicone tape.
The pickups were too harsh sounding and could not be lowered anymore due to how thin the guitar is
The controls were awkward with the coil tap/EQ switch being where the pickup selector should be - which in regards to the pickup selector, you can't even see or reach for intuitively due to the location

It was a looker too, great looking guitar, minimal issues with the fretjob too with some on the top side needing some proper crowning but again, nothing major.

I found the locking tuners and a locking nut to be overkill but it was stable for the most part.

In the end, the EC401 is a beast of a guitar. Heavy, fat, and great build quality. Plays awesome at 1/2 step with 12's and looks the part. I am really happy with the trade.

LTD.jpg

Great tune.
Do you go usb/direct with your Axe Fx to your computer or through an additional sound card?

Great tune.
Do you go usb/direct with your Axe Fx to your computer or through an additional sound card?
I use a focusrite 2i2 - tried going direct but noticed the sound would come out a bit more compressed or digital sounding. Been using the Focusrite for the last 2 years almost.

I have the same issue - admittedly its gotten better as the strings settle but I notice myself retuning quite a bit. The guitar loves to go sharp.

The Gotoh tuners are good but I may swap it with some locking tuners down the line. Its not too terrible though, just a bit annoying.

I use a focusrite 2i2 - tried going direct but noticed the sound would come out a bit more compressed or digital sounding. Been using the Focusrite for the last 2 years almost.
Thanks for the input - I'll try it too!

How do you overcome the mono direct monitoring? Don't you use stereo based effects or presets?

How do you overcome the mono direct monitoring? Don't you use stereo based effects or presets?
I record multiple tracks panned L/R at different points in the audio spectrum. Sometimes you have to adjust the track (from mono to stero) or the patch but in the end it puts you on a wild ride.

Back
Top Bottom