New FX8?

I don't see the need for more scenes in the FX8 . There are way more than you need .

I've had mine almost 3 weeks and love it .

I don't see the need for more scenes in the FX8 . There are way more than you need .

I've had mine almost 3 weeks and love it .
Maybe not more scenes but maybe more effects per preset. What I would love to see is if they put individual displays for each switch like on the new FC12

I don’t think we’ll see new designs or re-designed boxes & screens for a few years on either the FX8 or AX8 units.

I do think we’ll continue to get firmware updates, new FX & more CPU usage back from compression improvements....& hopefully a major update to the list of FX over-all on the FX8.

Both units do a stellar job as is & do more than most people need or use. I hope that they produce a simple check box for the drive pedals that makes a specific pedal exactly like the original it’s modeled after too.

X

I don’t think we’ll see new designs or re-designed boxes & screens for a few years on either the FX8 or AX8 units.

I do think we’ll continue to get firmware updates, new FX & more CPU usage back from compression improvements....& hopefully a major update to the list of FX over-all on the FX8.

Both units do a stellar job as is & do more than most people need or use. I hope that they produce a simple check box for the drive pedals that makes a specific pedal exactly like the original it’s modeled after too.

X
The FX8 was first introduced in 2014 and the Mark II came out 2016 so it makes me think 2018 there may happen to be a Mark III with some different features

The FX8 was first introduced in 2014 and the Mark II came out 2016 so it makes me think 2018 there may happen to be a Mark III with some different features
Fractal Audio Systems is a very small company & with all their efforts going toward the development & release of the Axe-Fx III, I don’t think there’s been any time left for the FX8/AX8.

I would think that their plan is to complete & release the newly powered Axe-3, then get the other 2-products up to speed w/ the colored screens & new firmware & hopefully a few more FX.

Even if they used a common new enclosure for the AX8 & FX8, I couldn’t imagine seeing that for at least another 2-years.

For the record, it’s not that I don’t want this to happen, it would just shock the heck out of me if we saw either of these relatively new products get re-tooled this fast.

I could see them hinting at this next year after Winter NAMM though....then drawing it out another 6 to 9 months for a new release.

Peace! X

They don't go to NAMM. My band played a show across the street from NAMM and I offered anyone from Fractal free tickets to out show, but I was told that there's no point to NAMM for them since they sell direct.
I just got my FX8, so I'd be upset if a replacement came out around now...lol.....
As much as I love the unit, it REALLY needs a better UI, it reminds me of gear from the 90s...

Just saw that Line 6 came out with the HX floor effects unit and it has the individual displays so I’m pretty sure Fractal will compete with that.

I have had mine for 6 days, but have only been able to spend about a hour on breaks during 2 rehearsals to play with settings. I have 4 patches created that I like so far. One thing I have found so far is that using the FX8-Edit software is super easy. I'm leaning toward creating a patch for each song on our list and using scenes and then having a "utility" patch for working up new material or just messing around.

They don't go to NAMM. My band played a show across the street from NAMM and I offered anyone from Fractal free tickets to out show, but I was told that there's no point to NAMM for them since they sell direct.
I just got my FX8, so I'd be upset if a replacement came out around now...lol.....
As much as I love the unit, it REALLY needs a better UI, it reminds me of gear from the 90s...
Yeah, I agree. Stellar sound but poor UI by today's standards. But, I'd rather have this situation, than the other way around. A better UI is probably going to require a hardware fix. I can't afford a new unit any time soon, so I figure to have my MK II for a while. Likely years.

I suspect that the next version may have Bluetooth, which would allow phone apps to interact with it. I have a stick PA with a BT app, and it works really well.

Sort of hoping they would at least pattern the new FX8 with some of the features of the Axe FX III -- i.e. The capacity of adding two additional drive blocks; added CPU upgrade to accommodate more block models that take up a lot of virtual space (SD-1, delays, etc.), and among other things, like.. A coloured screen perhaps. :p

I know some people will get their panties in a bunch over a necro thread (I didn't want to start another one) but I was wondering if anyone suspects a new FX8/AX8 with a better interface coming with the FC-12 on the horizon. It seems likely to me since they were both released about 4 years ago and updated 2 years ago.

Think they might reveal it at winter NAMM in late January?

I know some people will get their panties in a bunch over a necro thread (I didn't want to start another one) but I was wondering if anyone suspects a new FX8/AX8 with a better interface coming with the FC-12 on the horizon. It seems likely to me since they were both released about 4 years ago and updated 2 years ago.

Think they might reveal it at winter NAMM in late January?
From your lips to God’s ears. At this point I’d buy a MK III and keep my MK II as a backup rather than kvetch about the lack of MK II firmware updates.

From your lips to God’s ears. At this point I’d buy a MK III and keep my MK II as a backup rather than kvetch about the lack of MK II firmware updates.

Kvetch... one of my favorite yiddish words and the language of my people.

Is there a lack of MKII updates? Someone like myself who reads too much into things might suspect that's an indication that they're focusing on releasing a new model.

Kvetch... one of my favorite yiddish words and the language of my people.

Is there a lack of MKII updates? Someone like myself who reads too much into things might suspect that's an indication that they're focusing on releasing a new model.
The last FX8 firmware update just had its birthday on 11/14. Because of a backup bug (that does not affect me personally) in that update, many are using the 5.0.3 version which is even older.

I've been asking for multi-band compression. The block exists in other products but has never been added to the FX8. Seems like it should be a simple matter to add it to the FX8. But perhaps firmware is bumping up against some sort of size limitation. If that's the case, only a new MK III version would fix that. I'd much rather have MBC than some of the cutesy modulated stuff. But that's admittedly a matter of personal taste.

In a perfect world, I've like to see bugs fixed in less than a year. I can't imagine a backup bug being something a fairly junior programmer couldn't solve. I mean it worked once, so it's a regression in the code. I think FAS just runs so lean and mean with staffing that they don't have a body to put on it.

But damn. It sure is a great tool. I recently spent a weekend with an HX Effects and took it right back. The FX8 is a much more sophisticated and deeper tool. And more honest sounding to my ears. I feel like L6 always exaggerates their models a bit. They sound very cartoonish to my ears. Although, I'm sure if I had to, I could eventually get the HX Effects to sound decent and make do with it.

The last FX8 firmware update just had its birthday on 11/14. Because of a backup bug (that does not affect me personally) in that update, many are using the 5.0.3 version which is even older.

I've been asking for multi-band compression. The block exists in other products but has never been added to the FX8. Seems like it should be a simple matter to add it to the FX8. But perhaps firmware is bumping up against some sort of size limitation. If that's the case, only a new MK III version would fix that. I'd much rather have MBC than some of the cutesy modulated stuff. But that's admittedly a matter of personal taste.

In a perfect world, I've like to see bugs fixed in less than a year. I can't imagine a backup bug being something a fairly junior programmer couldn't solve. I mean it worked once, so it's a regression in the code. I think FAS just runs so lean and mean with staffing that they don't have a body to put on it.

But damn. It sure is a great tool. I recently spent a weekend with an HX Effects and took it right back. The FX8 is a much more sophisticated and deeper tool. And more honest sounding to my ears. I feel like L6 always exaggerates their models a bit. They sound very cartoonish to my ears. Although, I'm sure if I had to, I could eventually get the HX Effects to sound decent and make do with it.

Thanks for telling me that. I almost looked at an HX Effects but I'm fairly sure I'd be happier with a FX8 with the effects quality and tweakability. I've heard the HX is a tone sucker too and I do not like that with my VH4.

Maybe I'll hold off for a month or two until winter NAMM rolls around to buy one. I can be patient, unlike how I was with the III (I sold it -- amp modeling is not my thing).

Back
Top Bottom