New fx8 help!

I just got my fx8 and figured I'd share my thoughts and also ask a few questions.

I mainly play low to medium gain stuff with some more compressed lead tones. I'm trying to replace my nice pedalboard.

Drives. I really wish there were some good starting places with these. I feel like I have to tweak and program so many different parameters to make them sound good. My settings will take a lot of time to get perfect which may not even translate in different environments with different amps etc.

Also on drives. They don't seem very realistic in terms of setting and ranges. I have to turn the gain so low on all of them. Getting the volumes to match is a lot of work. The drives seem to have much more gain than the ones they're copying.

And. Why is there so much unusable range in things like gain. The sweep should have more usable ranges, right? Like a good analog pedal? My analog man KOT sounds good almost everywhere. And my fulltone supatrem is killer everywhere.

I'd love thoughts on this. Tips for overdriven? I've read as much manual and forum as I can with no luck.

Tremolo: really really hard to get a good tremolo sound. Why is it so complicated? Why couldn't they just add some normal tremolo stuff. why do u have to tie things to lfo's etc. I just want to turn on a pedal and have the basic functions.

Minor frustration: why did they put the damn handle right over the switches? I have to use my toe to hit that switch. Almost impossible to do the X/Y feature.

Overall it reminds me of Logic Pro. Like it was not designed by musicians but rather computer guys. I play and produce music not program.

It's very very very cool. But I'm quite frustrated.

I just got my fx8 and figured I'd share my thoughts and also ask a few questions.

I mainly play low to medium gain stuff with some more compressed lead tones. I'm trying to replace my nice pedalboard.

Drives. I really wish there were some good starting places with these. I feel like I have to tweak and program so many different parameters to make them sound good. My settings will take a lot of time to get perfect which may not even translate in different environments with different amps etc.

Also on drives. They don't seem very realistic in terms of setting and ranges. I have to turn the gain so low on all of them. Getting the volumes to match is a lot of work. The drives seem to have much more gain than the ones they're copying.

And. Why is there so much unusable range in things like gain. The sweep should have more usable ranges, right? Like a good analog pedal? My analog man KOT sounds good almost everywhere. And my fulltone supatrem is killer everywhere.

I'd love thoughts on this. Tips for overdriven? I've read as much manual and forum as I can with no luck.

Tremolo: really really hard to get a good tremolo sound. Why is it so complicated? Why couldn't they just add some normal tremolo stuff. why do u have to tie things to lfo's etc. I just want to turn on a pedal and have the basic functions.

Minor frustration: why did they put the damn handle right over the switches? I have to use my toe to hit that switch. Almost impossible to do the X/Y feature.

Overall it reminds me of Logic Pro. Like it was not designed by musicians but rather computer guys. I play and produce music not program.

It's very very very cool. But I'm quite frustrated.

I go thru a few things like that too... That handle could of been in a different place.. LOL.. I cannot figure out the Filters at all..

I can imagine some of your frustration points. The only two drives that worked for me out of the box where the RAT and the Eternal Love. The other drives have so much differentation in volume and fuzz. Curious how they have tested the default settings...
But I am happy with the RAT and the EL because they complement each other perfectly. The RAT is good for fat leads and the EL cuts through the mix nicely. About the handle: I only use the bottom row switches LOL
I have owned a SupaTrem in the past which was very warm sounding. But as far as the tremolo on the fx8 I have no problems with it. There aren't really that many settings to tweak.

You think this is frustrating you should try the AX8. I know it was me that could never get it to sound great due my limited knowledge in certain areas. On the other hand my FX8 sounds great with my Suhr Badger 18 using the 4 cm. These forums are a great help and learned a lot about FX8

I feel like distortion is fine, it's more the overdrives that still bug me with unrealistic gain; and the fact that between 1 and 3 is all the goods and 3 to 12 is just nutso gain.

Any tips on the trem? I feel like there's a bunch of different ways to do it; none that are similar to a tremolo pedal. Lol.

The ax8 is a pain. My gut led me away but mainly because I'm so sensitive to the weaknesses in modeling that I assume it's still not there. The kemper was cool but it has its own set of annoyances.

And the bar. Oh the bar. I guess I may have to remove it.

QUOTE="Eduard, post: 1527275, member: 46631"]I can imagine some of your frustration points. The only two drives that worked for me out of the box where the RAT and the Eternal Love. The other drives have so much differentation in volume and fuzz. Curious how they have tested the default settings...
But I am happy with the RAT and the EL because they complement each other perfectly. The RAT is good for fat leads and the EL cuts through the mix nicely. About the handle: I only use the bottom row switches LOL
I have owned a SupaTrem in the past which was very warm sounding. But as far as the tremolo on the fx8 I have no problems with it. There aren't really that many settings to tweak.[/QUOTE]
Thanks

You think this is frustrating you should try the AX8. I know it was me that could never get it to sound great due my limited knowledge in certain areas. On the other hand my FX8 sounds great with my Suhr Badger 18 using the 4 cm. These forums are a great help and learned a lot about FX8
Oh man. That's a bummer.

Yeah, the amp and cab side bothers me which is why I thought I'd give the fx8 a chance

I suggest " read the manual" Also use the search bar top right for what you are looking for. There are lots of videos. Watch all FAS video to pickup little trick here and there. We have all been there it takes time to learn new things. If you are a 2 knob guy you may be in the wrong place. Everyone here is also willing to help with issues. Search all forums (AX8/AXE FX II /Ultra) for questions and answers. Not sure what the cpu issue is I never have a problem with that. Good luck....

Back
Top Bottom