New fx from the Axe-Fx III to the FM3?

Mats Nermark

Inspired
I just watched Leon Todd's video showing some new x from the v17 update for the AF III.
I especially liked the TC 1210 and the Circular delay.
Being new in the Fractal universe, is it common practice for Fractal to release AF III fx to the FM3?

Cheers,

Mats N

I just watched Leon Todd's video showing some new x from the v17 update for the AF III.
I especially liked the TC 1210 and the Circular delay.
Being new in the Fractal universe, is it common practice for Fractal to release AF III fx to the FM3?

Cheers,

Mats N
sometimes but not always depends on things like CPU requirements the FM3 is pretty stocked full at the moment

sometimes but not always depends on things like CPU requirements the FM3 is pretty stocked full at the moment

Fully stocked? Doubtful. Effects only take CPU when loaded and engaged and the FM3 (like all Fractal units) allow a variable amount of effects up to a CPU threshold. So any effect which took more CPU would simply allow less overall effects to be used. Now, I can understand how something like the improved pitch block may not make it as updating a block's CPU usage could break existing presets (though I could see it perhaps making it with a "quality" button like the reverbs and cabs defaulted to low) but any new effect type in a block...I gotta presume there is plenty of memory (storage, not processing power) left for updates (if somehow not I'll gladly sacrifice some space reserved for IRs to it).

EDIT: Here's an example. The Circular delay started as a user preset https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/lexicon-pcm70-pan-circular-delays.164461/

Last edited:
Fully stocked? Doubtful. Effects only take CPU when loaded and engaged and the FM3 (like all Fractal units) allow a variable amount of effects up to a CPU threshold. So any effect which took more CPU would simply allow less overall effects to be used. Now, I can understand how something like the improved pitch block may not make it as updating a block's CPU usage could break existing presets (though I could see it perhaps making it with a "quality" button like the reverbs and cabs defaulted to low) but any new effect type in a block...I gotta presume there is plenty of memory (storage, not processing power) left for updates (if somehow not I'll gladly sacrifice some space reserved for IRs to it).

EDIT: Here's an example. The Circular delay started as a user preset https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/lexicon-pcm70-pan-circular-delays.164461/
Thanks Will! You are always a source of good info.
And thanks for the link to the delay presets. Been jonesing for those kinds of delays for donkey's years.

Cheers,

Mats N

Thanks again, Will!
I actually found those a few days ago but haven't had time to check them out yet as I've gone through three surgeries in the past two weeks so I'm not quite in the game yet.
But I'm sure that the urge to try them out will hasten the healing process.

Scene from the doctor's office;
Guitarist: I'm not feeling well, but I don't know what it is!
Doctor: Doesn't matter, I will prescribe a daily dose of FM3. Make sure to stay on your medication!

Cheers,

Mats N

Thanks again, Will!
I actually found those a few days ago but haven't had time to check them out yet as I've gone through three surgeries in the past two weeks so I'm not quite in the game yet.
But I'm sure that the urge to try them out will hasten the healing process.

Scene from the doctor's office;
Guitarist: I'm not feeling well, but I don't know what it is!
Doctor: Doesn't matter, I will prescribe a daily dose of FM3. Make sure to stay on your medication!

Cheers,

Mats N
Oh man, hope it was minor stuff and get well soon!

Hello, I‘m pretty literate in regards to the fact not all things from AxeFXIII will work on the FM3, but in short will these FX blocks work with the FM3 and are they ”plug & play” for lack of better words? Because they are some of best FX sounds I’ve heard come from these units!! I get most the technical aspects such as processor power and plain apple to apple parameters, etc., but sometimes I get nervous whether loading AxeFXIII stuff to FM3 “willy nilly” is always 100% problem free. Meaning if they don’t work simply deleting them is all that’s needed to make things happy again with the FM3. I have stayed away from loading AxeFXIII stuff due to this concern. Thanks for any help from anyone.

sometimes I get nervous whether loading AxeFXIII stuff to FM3 “willy nilly” is always 100% problem free. Meaning if they don’t work simply deleting them is all that’s needed to make things happy again with the FM3. I have stayed away from loading AxeFXIII stuff due to this concern. Thanks for any help from anyone.

Hmm! Interesting perspective. I never even thought about if and how loading an AF III preset could potentially damage the FM3 in any way.
Of course, I've loaded a lot of AF III presets that made no sense whatsoever in the FM3 but I've just deleted them and I haven't noticed any issues yet. Keeping my fingers crossed now!

Cheers,

Mats N

Hmm! Interesting perspective. I never even thought about if and how loading an AF III preset could potentially damage the FM3 in any way.
Of course, I've loaded a lot of AF III presets that made no sense whatsoever in the FM3 but I've just deleted them and I haven't noticed any issues yet. Keeping my fingers crossed now!

Cheers,

Mats N
No, I wasn’t necessarily meaning any damage physically, just create havoc within presets I suppose. So, have you loaded the Simeon Harris stuff to the FM3? if so, do they work?

edit:
seems like you answered my initial concern. Which is to experiment and if they are not meant to be, delete them. I’m pretty sure there’s nothing to worry about.

No, I wasn’t necessarily meaning any damage physically, just create havoc within presets I suppose. So, have you loaded the Simeon Harris stuff to the FM3? if so, do they work?

edit:
seems like you answered my initial concern. Which is to experiment and if they are not meant to be, delete them. I’m pretty sure there’s nothing to worry about.
Yup! So far, so good! Today I will try to find time for the new presets.

Cheers,

Mats N

This is just part of the Fractal experience when you're not on the flagship platform. Updates come later and less often but not later and less often than competitor products. Since the FM3 and FM9 seem to be on a similar code platform, I'm hoping that the FM3 has a long life for updates ahead of it.

I wonder if the new effects block types are just parameter presets that could be translated if you had the parameters from an Axe-FX III.

The best cure for the impatience that the relatively constant stream of updates and then this several month-long draught has created is, really, to get off these forums and just play. It's like caffeine; you'll have withdrawals for a couple days, but then you'll forget and won't be compelled to check back every day or multiple times a day and just keep drooling hoping for new content.

This is what I did - I basically got off the forum (only having recently returned as things slowed down a bit at work) but, as excited as I would be for a new update, particularly the improved Virtual Capo, I have emotionally accepted that won't be any more updates. I know intellectually that there probably will be several more significant updates and probably dozens of smaller ones to the unit, but it's no longer a visceral feeling that makes me disappointed when it's yet another Friday without an update. After having just played without any social media or forum lurking/participation, you realize how truly great the unit already is :)

I never, ever buy something on the promise that it will someday do something that it doesn't do today. I'm old enough that the update thing still seems new and a bit unreal.
So I got the FM3 because of what it does today. I'm not asking for or demanding anything else but what's already in the box.

Having said that, the new fx that LT demoed sounded good so I thought I should calmly and politely ask what the history says about porting fx from the flagship to the lower price products.

I had no intention of creating controversy or coming off like a demanding person. And if the new fx doesn't come to the FM3, I'll still be happy with it.

Peace!

Mats N

I never, ever buy something on the promise that it will someday do something that it doesn't do today. I'm old enough that the update thing still seems new and a bit unreal.
So I got the FM3 because of what it does today. I'm not asking for or demanding anything else but what's already in the box.

Having said that, the new fx that LT demoed sounded good so I thought I should calmly and politely ask what the history says about porting fx from the flagship to the lower price products.

I had no intention of creating controversy or coming off like a demanding person. And if the new fx doesn't come to the FM3, I'll still be happy with it.

Peace!

Mats N
You didn't come off like that at all :)

It's just a weird age of gear we're in. While you're right, you traditionally wouldn't buy anything for anything other than what it can do now, the times we live in, whether we're talking about software, video games, or guitar modelers, are built on an upgradable infrastructures, and, as such, it's become a selling point. These days, it's expected. Can you imagine if the Quad Cortex never progressed past its state at release? Not only would many people have returned the unit they had already bought, odds are they'd never have sold another unit. Did you play Fallout New Vegas when it was released? It was utter, buggy trash. But Bethesda knew they could just fix it and make it better with updates. Same with countless apps and video games. Hell, Microsoft brings security, feature, and bug-fix updates regularly over the life of the Windows version.

I most likely would still have bought the Axe III even if I had known it would never be updated, but it's almost pointless discussing such a concept in this day and age. It was still probably the best when it was released, however, I bought it because I knew the AX8 and Axe II had a LONG history of support, updates, and satisfied customers. So, in my mind, that price that I paid was, in part, payment for continued support and updates down the road. I suppose it might be possible for a company like FAS to release the unit an only offer bug fixes for free and charge for significant content updates, but that's a whole other bag of worms and, I think, it would impede with the way Cliff seems to like to create.

It can, of course, be argued that the sticker price does not pay for R&D, but without seeing the company books, there's really no way to know for certain. In any case, the updates are neither something we're entitled to as owners nor are they gifts of mana from heaven for us poor, undeserving swine. They're something in between; they're a marketing tool. They're what keep current users interested and invested in the unit and company; where the unit isn't just some dead workhorse tool in the studio/stage that gets forgotten about. Essentially, continued support and updates are a win/win for both the company and customer. Thus, it's possible to be both appreciative of updates and, to a reasonable degree based off the company's past performance and reputation, to expect them.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Back
Top Bottom