New from 'Tallica

Is it just me, or does anybody else find that Kirk Hammet just doesn't seem to care about his solos like he used to? The ones he's been writing over the years are just so lame. Good parts here and there, but bad solos. Lazy solos.

Yes, I agree. I'm always surprised that some professional musicians reach a certain level on their instrument or compositions and have seemingly have no desire to carry on improving themselves.

Is it just me, or does anybody else find that Kirk Hammet just doesn't seem to care about his solos like he used to? The ones he's been writing over the years are just so lame. Good parts here and there, but bad solos. Lazy solos.

Sounds just like any other Hammet solo. Bends>trem pick>repeated pentatonic lick>open string pull offs->unison bends. Add wah to any two elements to taste.

Formulaic sure but it works. Ant Metallica song just wouldn't sound right without the solos the way they are.

And the new songs works very well live

Sounds just like any other Hammet solo. Bends>trem pick>repeated pentatonic lick>open string pull offs->unison bends. Add wah to any two elements to taste.

Formulaic sure but it works. Ant Metallica song just wouldn't sound right without the solos the way they are.

And the new songs works very well live

I agree and disagree with you about this. Yes, they sound like Hammet solos, but there's really absolutely nothing to them anymore like they used to be. It really sounds like he doesn't take the time to write solos anymore, he just plays whatever and if it works good enough, then it's good enough. Even live he is LAAAAAAAZY with his solos. Half the time he just doesn't even play what he originally wrote, he just does something that's super easy and hides behind his wah pedal. The guy's just turned into a seriously lazy soloist.

Sounds about like I would expect new metallica to sound. A bit phoned in (or maybe more than a bit), yes IMO. They've been at this a long time, what's left to be really angry about and write good lyrics about. Definitely pushing the easy button on the lyrics...

I agree and disagree with you about this. Yes, they sound like Hammet solos, but there's really absolutely nothing to them anymore like they used to be. It really sounds like he doesn't take the time to write solos anymore, he just plays whatever and if it works good enough, then it's good enough. Even live he is LAAAAAAAZY with his solos. Half the time he just doesn't even play what he originally wrote, he just does something that's super easy and hides behind his wah pedal. The guy's just turned into a seriously lazy soloist.

I think Kirk has a couple kids that are around 10-11 now, probably doesn't have the time he used to. I do know he said he always had trouble with solo's, he'd lay down up to 100 takes before he got it right, so he's not a virtuoso by any means. I always considered him a working man's soloist.

I do know he said he always had trouble with solo's, he'd lay down up to 100 takes before he got it right

Brave / honest of him. Metallica is probably still functioning the way it is now partly because of Kirk (he's a really nice guy). And he has written and played many awesome solos, so yeah it doesn't really bother me that he's changed since the 80's and 90's.

I do know he said he always had trouble with solo's, he'd lay down up to 100 takes before he got it right, so he's not a virtuoso by any means. I always considered him a working man's soloist.
Same goes for Lars I guess. Except he never said anything like this.

Kirk is getting old now, I think he still cares, just think of how many shows he has done, fingers take a beating after awhile. He's not hungry anymore, that's another factor, none of them are for that matter. Not bad though, just not Master or And Justice.
Yes, getting old. As long as Het doesn't start showing signs of old age, they will still be one of the biggest Heavy Metal acts in the world....I found it very refreshing to hear them wax a Bay Area Thrash track. I'm not the only one missing that early energy they had. For my taste, the first 3 albums are the shiz. Justice is the beginning of a transition that didn't work for me. Regardless, I am happy to see them back at it and Trujillo is really giving them a hell of a second wind. That guy still got the eye of the tiger.

I agree 100% Duke. I have been a Metallica fan from the beginning. I saw them in Toronto when I was like 12 and didn't even know who they were. That was it for me, I was in love. I am happy they are still going. James is actually getting better vocally, he is learning how to adjust to his aging voice. People don't understand how hard it is to growl for 30 years and the toll it takes. I give them credit because they are all about the fans, while staying true to themselves and that really translates, keeping them relevant through all the growing pains of the industry. Trujillo is a MONSTER bass player and Cliff is smiling down on them for sure. I think the new album will please most fans. For the the hardcore dudes like us, it will never be the same, but that's ok. Going to shows 25 years ago was a totally different experience, compared to today. Now going to a show is like going to church in comparison, lol. The festivals are still pretty raunchy, but indoor shows suck, too many damn rules! There should be no rules, at any show, lol. Ah well, the good ol days, what are you going to do? \m/

I hear you man. What tour did you see in TO at 12 years old? Must have been mind blowing for a young lad! Was it with Cliff or Jason, or even dare I say, with Cliff, Dave, James and Lars? If the latter, that makes you an old Thrasher like me :) !

To me the new song sounds like a mix between Kill 'Em All and Death Magnetic -- although I'm betting with two discs of music there will be some more variety, which I'm looking forward to.

The first time I heard the new track, I liked it, but it didn't blow me away. Hearing it performed live at the Minnesota gig, I liked it a little more because of the live energy.

Hardwired could turn out to be like Death Magnetic where it took a while for the songs to grow on me, but now I really like that record (except for the production -- but I think they've learned their lesson).

I already pre-ordered the album, but what I'm really looking forward to is a proper North American tour. Not festivals and one-off shows, but a proper tour. It's been how long? I'm gettin' antsy!

I hear you man. What tour did you see in TO at 12 years old? Must have been mind blowing for a young lad! Was it with Cliff or Jason, or even dare I say, with Cliff, Dave, James and Lars? If the latter, that makes you an old Thrasher like me :) !
It was the Ride The Lightning tour, they were Headlining for Wasp and Armored Saint. Had no idea who they were, a friend of mines Dad took us to see Wasp and they were the second act. It was at the Masonic Temple, now called The Concert Hall, in Toronto, we stood, no seats, about 15 feet from the stage, this huge dude picked me up and put me on this Pa speaker/ table thing, not sure what that was about, but I was safe. It was a rough show for sure, we were on the right side of the stage, monitors blasting at our heads, lol. We went to see Blackie Lawless, and I remember just watching these dudes after, I didn't really know, just tear it up. My favorite song after that was Creeping Death. My buddy Mark was on my hockey team and his Dad had a Jaguar and they had me tag along to this show, and they also took me to see Venom, Slayer and Razor sometime after that. I was a huge Venom fan back then, to see Cronos was killer, no Abaddon or Mantas, they had changed the lineup by then. Anyway, after that it was all Metallica, I got Ride The Lightning for my Birthday. Remember when you got tapes for your B-Day? Posters too, Kiss ones of course, lol. I saw Metallica in Buffalo after that, many years later, twice, on the Black Album Tour, and just reveled in how huge they got and how lucky I was to see them in the beginning. Like my led Zeppelin, ya know.

Seems fairly listenable at least. I'll probably get the album just because it's 'tallica and it reminds me of the old days. The only stuff I listen to regularly though are the first four albums.That video gives me a headache though. All strobes and shadows, it really needs something else to break it up.
AlbertA- I remember downloading the GH tracks shortly after I got Death Magnetic and that's the only version I listen to any more.

It was the Ride The Lightning tour, they were Headlining for Wasp and Armored Saint. Had no idea who they were, a friend of mines Dad took us to see Wasp and they were the second act. It was at the Masonic Temple, now called The Concert Hall, in Toronto, we stood, no seats, about 15 feet from the stage, this huge dude picked me up and put me on this Pa speaker/ table thing, not sure what that was about, but I was safe. It was a rough show for sure, we were on the right side of the stage, monitors blasting at our heads, lol. We went to see Blackie Lawless, and I remember just watching these dudes after, I didn't really know, just tear it up. My favorite song after that was Creeping Death. My buddy Mark was on my hockey team and his Dad had a Jaguar and they had me tag along to this show, and they also took me to see Venom, Slayer and Razor sometime after that. I was a huge Venom fan back then, to see Cronos was killer, no Abaddon or Mantas, they had changed the lineup by then. Anyway, after that it was all Metallica, I got Ride The Lightning for my Birthday. Remember when you got tapes for your B-Day? Posters too, Kiss ones of course, lol. I saw Metallica in Buffalo after that, many years later, twice, on the Black Album Tour, and just reveled in how huge they got and how lucky I was to see them in the beginning. Like my led Zeppelin, ya know.
That is one cool story man. I wish I could have seen them back in the day; would have been a treat!

That's awesome man. I saw MOP in '86 (I think it was, somewhere around there), and then AJFA 4 years after that, those are my 2 favorites for sure. That's awesome you saw them with Cliff, they had just picked up Jason when I saw MOP in Saskatoon.

I managed to weasel my way to the front at the MOP show (started near the back on the floor), after the last song, Kirk threw one of his picks (a lime green Dunlop with Metallica printed on it in black), I damn near bowled over three guys to catch it, which I did. I was so proud of that pick. I had this great idea to put a hole in it, mount it to a chain, and wear it around my neck. Well, stupid me tried to punch a hole in it with a hammer and nail and split it in two. I almost cried!!! What can I say, I was 16!!

Shows were so fun and easy then. If you were clever and persistent you could ALWAYS get to the front. Not anymore, 50 security guards checking tickets all show long, sad.

The last album had some good moments but the lyrics/volcal melodies seemed forced and not as good as this. I dig it a lot! I got to see them the 1st time at Candlestick park SF on the monsters of rock tour in the summer of 86. Jason's 1st tour and they played Harvester of sorrows 2 months before Jusstice came out! Pretty freakin cool!!

Back
Top Bottom