New FRFR available... Any thoughts for FM9?

Thanks Greg,
ding ding ding! Size and weight are a big issue for me. I carry the Katana, FM9 in its case and then guitar on back. Its really after the gig when I have to carry it all to the car that sucks. :confused:. I used to use Marshall vintage 20wt head and a 80's Marshall 4x10, with peddle board.
May be willing to take one for the team and try one of these and report back. It shows weight of 28lbs, maybe for the 2x8? Any advantages of 2x10 over 2x12 other than weight?

Any advantages of 2x10 over 2x12 other than weight?
10" speakers are more focused to the frequency range of guitars than 12", so they sound a little more crisp and punchy, but still have really good lows. You'd lose a little bit of low-end thump but would cut through better.

Fender's Vibrolux Deluxe was a 2x10 and loved on stage for the same reasons.

I'm kind of surprised that this cabinet isn't offered in a true 2x10 size to reduce the weight even more, but, at the same time, the larger cabinet size will lower the cabinet resonance, which might benefit the 2x10" speaker's sound. Dunno, we'll need to hear them in real life or in several different videos so we can, hopefully, triangulate their actual sound.

There’s only one weight shown for all the speaker sizes as far as I saw. Makes me wonder how accurate it is. Maybe just the weight of the cab sans speakers????
Good question, dunno. I asked the company directly about the possibility of a 2x10 specific cab, so we'll see what they say.

There’s only one weight shown for all the speaker sizes as far as I saw. Makes me wonder how accurate it is. Maybe just the weight of the cab sans speakers????
I got an email back from Geoff, at Raezer's Edge about the 2x10 cab. He says he hasn't had a chance to update the website, but they've reduced the size to be more appropriate to the 2x10s, and that the reduction in the cabinet size didn't really affect the sound. He didn't mention a difference in weight, but it's a given that with a slightly smaller cabinet there'd be some weight loss, so… YAY TEAM!

I invited him to sign up to be a vendor with the forum; Having vendors of interesting products that are related to modeling is a good thing, as long as they play by the rules of course.

I'd question the value of the stereo functionality in something that has the speakers this close to each other. But maybe for stage use this ends up sounding better than running into a single speaker in mono and you get at least some stereo effect out of it.

I'd question the value of the stereo functionality in something that has the speakers this close to each other. But maybe for stage use this ends up sounding better than running into a single speaker in mono and you get at least some stereo effect out of it.
There can be some stereo joy for the guitarist, at least. And if you have any Haas-effect stuff going on, there could be some benefit for the crowd, too.

I run my EV PXM-12MP cabs side by side, which are approximately the distance of 2x12 in a single cab. The sound certainly won't be as spread as it would be if they were separated on opposite sides of the stage, but my intention is, if I need to fill a room, I'd run the modeler through FOH and let it do the heavy lifting. The cabs behind me are only for my own enjoyment, I figure what comes out of the FOH speakers is really the problem of the FOH engineer after I've passed on a stereo signal.

As for the sound coming from behind me, it's definitely enough for me to tell what's happening and being sent to the console. And, it sounds really good. Even if there's no FOH send, there are effects in stereo bouncing around the room that still sound nice; I love the sound of my flanger, chorus, or rotary in those situations.

The Audio Flux sounds interesting, but could use some more info. Who makes the amp, what are the specs on the speaker? Are they in stock or built to order? Can you get a 1x12? A wedge shaped cab? Do you get a warranty or return period?

Thanks all! Was wondering if something like the Freidman ASC-10 or 12 @ 500watts may be better for live? 12" is almost 60lbs but 10" is 34lbs.
Looking to buy something this week if i can decide. Would single 10" work in small clubs?

The Audio Flux sounds interesting, but could use some more info. Who makes the amp, what are the specs on the speaker? Are they in stock or built to order? Can you get a 1x12? A wedge shaped cab? Do you get a warranty or return period?
My questions too.

I'm more interested in something like Celestion's digital speakers, but those are only available as 12", and it doesn't look like Audio Flux is using those, then I started looking into something like Mojotone's 1x12 or 2x12 cabinets but I'd have to modify the cabinet to put a plate amplifier in it.

Finally, I decided my pair of EV cabinets would work just as well, at least for now.

Back
Top Bottom