New fractal stuff

I project a single DSP floor model with 2nd gen modeling, 1x of the must have amp/cab combos and 1x of the 6? must have effects with IA button for each (like a TC Electronic Nova System w modeling AND MUCH BETTER SUPPORT) @ price point of $1000. (The DSP alone is ~$200 volume dependent). Or, a "Standard" rack mount with same features sans buttons.

I think your right although I am not sure they will get to the $1000 maybe a $1295.
Basically single amp chain ,Ir loading .less parameters in the blocks,, some of the big effects like looper ,synths and features, tone match, IR capture maybe not available
Fx more like the preset "types" and stomps
USB .phones and knobs or dials like the A,B,C,D..
Potentially not a lot of updates or short term improvements

still be a killer unit IMO

I think your right although I am not sure they will get to the $1000 maybe a $1295.
Basically single amp chain ,Ir loading .less parameters in the blocks,, some of the big effects like looper ,synths and features, tone match, IR capture maybe not available
Fx more like the preset "types" and stomps
USB .phones and knobs or dials like the A,I,C,D..
Potentially not a lot of updates or short term improvements

still be a killer unit IMO

Yep, same technology but limited for sure. The sweetness is in the modeling, the fx are good as well of course. I'd be happy with less params for my application because I'm really not using (or understand/hear) most of the advanced ones now.

Nice to see you, Cliff!

And thank you for sharing your invention with the world! We know that you would have built it for yourself, even knowing that it would never sell. That's how the best products in the world are made 8)

There are a ton of people out there who don't want to make the switch to a rack setup... a standalone floor unit would surely sell.

And so the GAS starts for my fourth Fractal product ;-)
It would be nice to not have to bring along a rack to jams. Guitar, floorboard and a nice frfr speaker. All in one easy trip.

Great interview. Thanks for sharing.

I think we can explect the same quality and no compromise attitute from Cliff even with more "midrange" product (or products?). Likely the product will still be top range in term of sound magic.

You can tell he feels self conscious when being interviewed.

Anybody that can do this, have a business startup out of love of the product, sell direct for expense sake, and still retain humility..... my respect just went up a whole heap.

The only thing I can't get behind is that he makes reference to the high price of the Axe. Yeah, €2400 isn't a small amount, but look at the bang per buck we get. Free access to great user patches, a hardware unit that is incredibly stable and reliable, free upgrades, and with the new update, over 100 amplifiers, a suite of studio grade effects...... I'd have to take him to task and say the Axe is the most value for money guitar effect/amp/processor/outboard unit I have ever bought. Actually it's the most cost effective audio unit I've ever bought, not just guitar.

I'd imagine the price reflects build costs and isn't a profit issue, so I'd imagine that the next product they bring out would be a slimmed down hardware unit, focussing on fewer things, but with the same quality of components and algorithms, probably floor based, and effects only, and targeted at a larger market through a cheaper price point. I'll be honest, I wouldn't buy it, as I'm not sure there'd be anything new in it for me. The way Cliff is talking, the Axe 2 is the flagship.

However, I would imagine that FAS will come under increasing fire from competitors and in forums because of the new market being targeted. I'd be slightly worried about this kind of venture. In short, watch the ulcer, and delegate more, Cliff.

Oh, and thanks, btw. :)

I want the "Axe-Fx III Ultra Exclusive" at $10,000!

Too many "common folk" are buying them at its current price!

Don't be a sellout Cliff, stay pricey!!! lol

As long as they can keep the quality up like Porsche, OK. It still diminishes the brand IMO.

Do you respect Fender and PRS more for having an import line?

When you manage to successfully carve an upscale niche in a down economy, why you'd dilute your brand when the economy is rebounding is beyond me.

I understand your point about diminishing Fractal's name, but since when did the economy start rebounding?

Cliff could start a sub-company, under whose name he could make the "AxeFx mini rig," and delegate out most of the grunt-work.

That way, everyone wins: broke guitarists have a floor unit, Cliff retains his sanity, Fractal's name stays golden, and Axe2 users are still the coolest cats on the block!

A scaled down floor unit in the 1K-ish range will both create & capture a whole new market share. In turn generating revenue to fund an even better flagship product as well. Win-win.

As long as they can keep the quality up like Porsche, OK. It still diminishes the brand IMO.

Do you respect Fender and PRS more for having an import line?

When you manage to successfully carve an upscale niche in a down economy, why you'd dilute your brand when the economy is rebounding is beyond me.
+1

Diluting the brand -- this is going to come off real smart alecky with none intended, but... please cite some real world deleterious effects of 'diluting the brand'? Fanboys have been screaming this at Apple since at least 1998 (re: Jobs' return, iMac etc). Fender isn't cannibalizing sales of the American HSS ($900? $1000?) by selling a Modern Player HSS (China) for $375.

Is Rickenbacker a stronger brand because they aren't running 4001s by the boatload out of Indonesia with less-than-impeccable fret jobs and finishes? Or are they losing sales? Both?

A Leica M9 (body only) runs $7000, and probably a minimum of $2000-$3000, an average of $4k-$5k for a good prime lens. A Noctilux f/.95, if you can find one, goes for $10,000. Leica sells point and shoots for under $800, yet they can't keep their $5000+ lenses in stock. Does a $699 Leica V-Lux diminish a brand that caters to trust fund kids and serious enthusiasts with $10,000 lenses?

Sometimes I think 'diluting the brand' is only important for guys like us that have read one too many books on marketing (raises a guilty hand). Seriously, someone should get their Tony Robbins on, march into Michael Tobias' office and tell him those Kingston basses he's churning out of S. Korea are sullying the MTD/Tobias name.

Back to Fractal... would be cool as $%@! to have a portable Axe-FX to go on location with my equally portable Apogee Duet (funny, that... a portable audio interface from Apogee that probably 'diminished' their brand but had lower-end competitors scrambling (MOTU, Focusrite) to get copycat products to market). An Axe-FX II to go along with an Apogee Symphony/Ensemble, an 'Axe-FX Mini' to go alongside a RME Babyface or Apogee Duet/Quartet? Writing/recording on the road, in the hotel room? Would rather have that than 'maintaining' the brand.

of course this is all complete conjecture and guesswork at this point, they may be looking at other acessories for the axe instead, speakers or amps etc

scruffydoo said:
of course this is all complete conjecture and guesswork at this point, they may be looking at other acessories for the axe instead, speakers or amps etc

Maybe, but why?

There's a smorgasbord of powered speakers that already are the talk of the town (i.e. RCF, QSC, EVH, Atomic Amps, Martix) for all kinds of musicians.

Does Cliff have the time/energy/desire to enter such a market? I think not, unless he's looking to make a single, integrated unit:
AxeFx w/ integrated power amp that locks into custom-made 1x12, 2x12, or 4x12 cabs, like the Randall/Egnater modules.

Outside that, I don't think there's enough reasons to push into that market, but I could always be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom