New FM3 User with Tuner issues

Ebi

Hi all, I’m new here and just got my first FM3 one week ago and just wanted to say hello to all of you.

It’s still the time to say happy new year and all the best for 2022. :)

After 30 + years of playing guitar I’m finally decided to see if Fractal Audio is something I should use.
Beside my new FM3 I’m still using my old Tube Amps (Fender, Mesa Boogie, Bogner) routed through an OX Box to my DAW.
In addition I’m also using a Kemper Toaster and an HX Stomp within my setup.

Since I’ve heard so many good things about Fractal Audio, it’s time to test and hopefully use it within my setup.

I’m really looking forward to be part of the family here.

Unfortunately I’ve already found one issue with the tuner in my FM3. The tuner is about 45 to 50 cents below the value it should be.
I’ve already searched through the forum here and have tried a lot, but could get this issue fixed.
Has anyone seen similar tuner issues? I’m on firmware version 4.01.

Thanks in advance for any kind of your help and support.

Best regards, Ebi

How are you determining that it's flat?

I seem to recall that clock rate being wrong can affect the tuner. Are you connecting digitally to some other hardware that may not be set to 48k?

Try connecting only guitar and nothing else. Does it change anything?

How are you determining that it's flat?

I seem to recall that clock rate being wrong can affect the tuner. Are you connecting digitally to some other hardware that may not be set to 48k?

Try connecting only guitar and nothing else. Does it change anything?
I've set my UAD apollo twin to 48k and also my DAW (Reaper) is set to 48k. I've configured both later after I've read it in the Forum.

I've set my UAD apollo twin to 48k and also my DAW (Reaper) is set to 48k. I've configured both later after I've read it in the Forum.
Connecting only guitars, does not change anything. As mentioned above, set the Calibration to 430.0 Hz does change the value. I've not idea what is causing this problem.

But did you try it with only the guitar connected? You might still be missing some setting...

I'm using my poly tuner which is looking fine. I've checked various guitars. And yes, Offsets is switched to Off.
Ok, so you're basically comparing one tuner to another. Logically, it's possible either tuner is wrong. You need to find another way to verify your tuning. Does your DAW have a tuner (I'm not familiar with recording software.) Or find some guitar tutorial where the guy starts by giving you his guitar tuning...? I seem to recall Paul Gilbert does this in one of his instructional videos; should be able to find it on You Tube. Other than using a different tuner, that's all I can think of. I seriously doubt it's the FM3 that's wrong, but I suppose it's possible.

Ok, so you're basically comparing one tuner to another. Logically, it's possible either tuner is wrong. You need to find another way to verify your tuning. Does your DAW have a tuner (I'm not familiar with recording software.) Or find some guitar tutorial where the guy starts by giving you his guitar tuning...? I seem to recall Paul Gilbert does this in one of his instructional videos; should be able to find it on You Tube. Other than using a different tuner, that's all I can think of. I seriously doubt it's the FM3 that's wrong, but I suppose it's possible.
I'm also using a Kemper with a build-in tuner and all my guitars are in tune as they are with my poly tuner. In addition I play through some Neutral DSP Archetype Amps with build in tuner, also they show the identical good value. I hate to say it, but it has to be the FM3 tuner, which delivered the wrong result. I have the FM3 since the 20th of December and I think the tuner worked at the beginning, but something caused this issue. I've contacted the support this morning. I will let everyone know the result as soon as possible. Thanks a lot to everyone for all your comments and help, much appreciated.

Hi Ebi,

First let me say that this isn't normal and we'll certainly be able to help you resolve the issue.

50 cents sure sounds like a clock rate issue somewhere. Please confirm that you specifically tried the following: Disconnect USB, reboot FM3, and test.

Hi Ebi,

First let me say that this isn't normal and we'll certainly be able to help you resolve the issue.

50 cents sure sounds like a clock rate issue somewhere. Please confirm that you specifically tried the following: Disconnect USB, reboot FM3, and test.
Hi, I've contacted the G66.eu Support this morning and we went through all those steps with no success. I will further work with the great german support and I'm now confident, that we find a solution. At the moment I can really only report good things about the help here in the forum and also the excellent support through G66.eu here in Germany. I appreciate that very much!!! 👍

If you want to test Matt's theory that it's a clocking problem, use the synth block as a test tone. If it's a clocking problem, I would expect the tuner to show the synth block pitch is correct.

Today my exchange FM3 from G66.eu arrived. The tuner now works flawlessly! Have first tested without USB and without SPDIF and then took USB and SPDIF to it. I've not changed any settings on my MAC, the Apollo twin X and the FM3 Edit.

So it now looks like, that the first FM3 had a hardware problem.

I would like to thank you again for your tips, your contributions and help. I would also like to thank Knut from the German G66 support, he has delivered an excellent support here. That leaves a super impression!

Back
Top Bottom