New FM3 user - question about studio monitors

One for each ear.

The HS8 is somewhat expensive. I know not everyone here has a nice home studio so I wanted to see if anyone found a way to make due with one 1 and run mono until they could afford/justify a pair.

Not sure why you even answered like that. I wasn’t asking you.

The HS8 is somewhat expensive. I know not everyone here has a nice home studio so I wanted to see if anyone found a way to make due with one 1 and run mono until they could afford/justify a pair.
You can always make do with one speaker, unless you require stereo.

Not sure why you even answered like that. I wasn’t asking you.
You didn't ask me either, but I had something to contribute, so I did. As did @Johan Allard above.

The point is not only the quality of the speaker...it depends on the room size the wall distance or if the room is acoustically threated or not..

Speakers, like everything else, play by the law of diminishing returns.

SPF 15 blocks 93% of UVB rays
SPF 30 blocks 97% of UVB rays
SPF 50 blocks 98% of UVB rays
SPF 70+ is pure profit by marketing

It's an oft-repeated phrase that the best speakers are the ones you can afford, but in this case, you have an SPF 50 unit running into SPF 5 speakers.

I'll mirror everyone else here to really recommend getting something other than RockIts. The Yamaha HS series smoke them for a still affordable price.

Just got my adams tv5’s today ,love em .The mids are great ,my guitar and music is like a new listening experience . For the price you can’t go wrong

I appreciate all the input! Lots of really great advice in here. I tried the unit out with headphones and definitely found a lot of tone im missing out on with my KRK's.

I'm committed to upgrading but I'm torn between something like the freidman ACS cab modelers or better monitors. I don't need the extra volume the friedman is capable of, but I love the amp-in-room sound. Will the friedman still allow me to play quietly (asssume my wife is sleeping in the other room)?

if the friedman isn't able to dial back to very low volumes I'm leaning towards a set of Adams monitors or Yamahas

i use Adam a5x. love them. the most clarity i've ever heard in any speakers. that top end is perfect. i hear stereo things that i've never heard on the same recordings i listened to all my life. i heard the a3x and a7x as well, and the 5s are perfect for my setup.

how would you compare the different adams monitors across the line? the 3 and 5 are both within my price range

how would you compare the different adams monitors across the line? the 3 and 5 are both within my price range
I’d get the 5 if you can. Better bass response naturally from a larger speaker. The 3 sounds good too for a small room. But I prefer the 5.

That said, I EQ any speaker I use for the room it’s in and I do pull down some low end, and notch some Mids. I just put on music I’m familiar with and push bands up and around frequencies and anything that sounds too funny I cut a bit. I do this for any speaker including IEMs. The clarity and sweetness of the high end of the Adam speakers is very nice.

You’d be getting a pair or a single?

When I bought my JBL lsr 305s I read in a lot of places that they were preferred over many more expensive monitors. Here is an example including some who owned hs7s and lsr305s. I was able to buy a pair of the JBLs for $150 used.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low...bl-305-really-need-your-advice-these-two.html

They do have a bit of hiss when there is no signal being fed to them you can hear when it is really quiet in the room and you are very close. But I don't think people buy monitors for what they sound like with no signal!

I'm really happy with mine for the FM3, listening, and some beginning mixing. It's really cool how they produce a phantom center channel, when I'm at my desk it sounds like vocals are coming out of the wall in front of me!

I wish I had more first hand knowledge with more speakers, but I don't so I'll tell you what I know, and what my research has shown! I hope it helps.

I appreciate all the input! Lots of really great advice in here. I tried the unit out with headphones and definitely found a lot of tone im missing out on with my KRK's.

I'm committed to upgrading but I'm torn between something like the freidman ACS cab modelers or better monitors. I don't need the extra volume the friedman is capable of, but I love the amp-in-room sound. Will the friedman still allow me to play quietly (asssume my wife is sleeping in the other room)?

if the friedman isn't able to dial back to very low volumes I'm leaning towards a set of Adams monitors or Yamahas

FWIW, I’m using a pair of Yamaha HS-5’s in a small, 12x12 room. I also use a random Yamaha sub with them because they definitely do not produce any bass at all. I can definitely get some in-the-room tones, especially with clean amps, using those. Actually, it took me a while to realize what people were talking about with the in-the-room thing as I’m just so used to listening to guitar tracks from a recording/mixing standpoint, but when I first got my AxeFX III and started playing around with different cabs on different presets, it clicked and I very much understood what was meant by it.

I’d get the 5 if you can. Better bass response naturally from a larger speaker. The 3 sounds good too for a small room. But I prefer the 5.

That said, I EQ any speaker I use for the room it’s in and I do pull down some low end, and notch some Mids. I just put on music I’m familiar with and push bands up and around frequencies and anything that sounds too funny I cut a bit. I do this for any speaker including IEMs. The clarity and sweetness of the high end of the Adam speakers is very nice.

You’d be getting a pair or a single?

I'd be getting a pair if I do monitors for sure. If I went with the Friedman I would just get one cab. Do you have any experience with the Yamaha HSC? Curious how the Adam stuff compares, both seem highly regarded.

I'm pretty motivated to upgrade at this point, I was unimpressed with the FM3s cleans until I heard them through headphones last night!

IMO, Adam > Yamaha.

I still think the Focal Shape series is a contender against the Adams. The passive radiator is tighter versus the ported Adam. You'd have to listen to both to decide for yourself.

There are many options out there for studio monitors. I upgraded from JBL LSR 305s to Kali LP-6 monitors and the difference is night and day. When I listen to a mix I can hear every instrument in its proper space. In fact, it sounds like I have an extra speaker In the Center for the vocals. Even the wife was astounded

There are many options out there for studio monitors. I upgraded from JBL LSR 305s to Kali LP-6 monitors and the difference is night and day. When I listen to a mix I can hear every instrument in its proper space. In fact, it sounds like I have an extra speaker In the Center for the vocals. Even the wife was astounded

I called sweetwater about the Adam speakers and my rep recommended the Kali LP-6. I was stunned.

Back
Top Bottom