New FM3 - seems like too much low end on amps/cabs

Its like getting a whole new amp and pedals though, you have to set it up. If I want it to sound like '78 2204 then I'll have to spend the time. Seem like its just tweaking the amp/eq to taste but more so, selecting the correct IR and tweaking that. Still, cool stuff.

I understand that repro frfr speakers would be different. Perhaps this a different thread. What I still don't get, and while I understand the speaker in the room sound capture is complex, is why cab/speaker models can't be flat reference mic'd around many close points around a given speaker. This takes much of the "room" out. Add a SM57 sim and position later (or not).

I understand that repro frfr speakers would be different. Perhaps this a different thread. What I still don't get, and while I understand the speaker in the room sound capture is complex, is why cab/speaker models can't be flat reference mic'd around many close points around a given speaker. This takes much of the "room" out. Add a SM57 sim and position later (or not).
One problem with that method is that you'd wind up with 100 or more captures for each cab. Who wants to sort through 100 captures just to find out whether they like one cab? Besides, there's no guarantee that any of those 100 points will turn out to be a sweet spot for a given mic on a given cab.

One problem with that method is that you'd wind up with 100 or more captures for each cab. Who wants to sort through 100 captures just to find out whether they like one cab? Besides, there's no guarantee that any of those 100 points will turn out to be a sweet spot for a given mic on a given cab.
Those 10 or 100 or whatever number of points would have to be a "mix" of the whole speaker. Painstaking I'm sure, and maybe the technology does not exist yet, but my guess is at some point, we will see something like this in the future.

Those 10 or 100 or whatever number of points would have to be a "mix" of the whole speaker. Painstaking I'm sure, and maybe the technology does not exist yet, but my guess is at some point, we will see something like this in the future.
Take all those captures, then mix them all together to find something you like, and then add a mic curve you like.

Or just take the mic of your choice, find a sweet spot, and do the capture. :)

Amp models are incredibly accurate.
ir selection is absolutely key
what you are listening through is important
FM3 is extremely, incredibly wonderfully accurate (did I say that?)
of course you also have to “dial” in the tone you want
many ways to do this

Its like getting a whole new amp and pedals though, you have to set it up. If I want it to sound like '78 2204 then I'll have to spend the time. Seem like its just tweaking the amp/eq to taste but more so, selecting the correct IR and tweaking that. Still, cool stuff.

because even a flat reference capture is still just a speaker capture...not a speaker. It's also still subject to where you are standing in relation to that speaker. Literally 99.9% of guitar players have spent their whole lives playing an amp off axis below them hitting them in the knees and have no idea what their tone actually sounds like...then when they actually hear it they spend way too much time and energy trying to figure out a way to hear a close mic'd speaker the way they did 5 ft away and 3 feet above it. The sooner you can accept the paradigm for what it is the happier you'll be...and the happier your audience will be because you're hearing the same thing.

I always use a low cut in the cab block on the heavier tones rectos' Uber, Deizels. 80KHZ low and 12000KHZ hi are my standard default

There's the option to choose an impedance curve as well. This also influences the low end and response of the amp massively. To me, the fm3 sounds good in terms of bass when running through the matrix. No low cut needed. Instead, I'm just using a high cut of around 9k@12dB/oct.

There's the option to choose an impedance curve as well. This also influences the low end and response of the amp massively. To me, the fm3 sounds good in terms of bass when running through the matrix. No low cut needed. Instead, I'm just using a high cut of around 9k@12dB/oct.
It's heavily dependent on the IR and Impedance Curve.

Back
Top Bottom