New FM ???

I may be in the minority here, maybe me getting old sucks, but for only $1,000 my FM3 is absolutely awesome. All I really NEED (not want) is a larger display that I can read without kneeling down while I play on stage (preset list). I’ve compressed all my presets into 3 scenes (I play in scene mode) so the 3 button form factor works fine for me, but somehow being able to see my preset list to choose from LIVE without bending over would be nice. As for “wants” - well, 10% more CPU would suffice for me...

Anybody knows if FM3 processor already runs at the maximum 500mhz clock?

Maybe it’s running at 450mhz, so a little bump in speed could give like 300 mflops of processing power per sharc+ core.

The active cooling would have to work harder to keep temps low.

But probably it’s already at 500mhz, so, what about a 50mhz overclock? 😬

I may be in the minority here, maybe me getting old sucks, but for only $1,000 my FM3 is absolutely awesome. All I really NEED (not want) is a larger display that I can read without kneeling down while I play on stage (preset list). I’ve compressed all my presets into 3 scenes (I play in scene mode) so the 3 button form factor works fine for me, but somehow being able to see my preset list to choose from LIVE without bending over would be nice. As for “wants” - well, 10% more CPU would suffice for me...
Plus 1 on the demand for a better readable UI from the age +50 users..

It’s really a wonderfull gear, worths every penny.

Unfortunately I live in a country were we pay Axe FX III price to get a FM3.

Still, It’s the best single guitar product I bought in my entire 43 years of life.

Anybody knows if FM3 processor already runs at the maximum 500mhz clock?

Maybe it’s running at 450mhz, so a little bump in speed could give like 300 mflops of processing power per sharc+ core.

The active cooling would have to work harder to keep temps low.

But probably it’s already at 500mhz, so, what about a 50mhz overclock? 😬
What would that do?

The new drive models would do it for me.

I’m more of a tone and feel guy than a feature one.
+1 for that, Douglas. I don't need a gazillion of blocks, basically just Drive => Amp => Cab. I'd rather have only these 3 blocks in my chain but each with the highest possible quality (= updated models for the Drive Block and UltraRes for the Cab Block) than 100 blocks with lower quality. But that's just me. I guess a lot of people actually need lots of effects in their block chains for live gigs. And it's nearly impossible for Fractal to please everyone.

Last edited:
I’ve had the AX8, now I’ve got the Axe FXIII and the FM3, both are impressive machines... The Axe is impressive, but the FM3 has got one advantage, his format...
i like both very much, only thing I would like to have soon is the Ultra Res IR on the FM3.
I don’t need anything else, I’m a Fractal guy, I don’t care about others modelers.

+1 for that, Douglas. I don't need a gazillion of blocks, basically just Drive => Amp => Cab. I'd rather have only these 3 blocks in my chain but each with the highest possible quality (= updated models for the Drive Block and UltraRes for the Cab Block) than 100 blocks with lower quality. But that's just me. I guess a lot of people actually need lots of effects in their block chains for live gigs. And it's nearly impossible for Fractal to please everyone.

I consider FM3 as a live unit, so we need the best tone, feel, and ease of use as possible.

The studio guys are the ones that needs most features and effects, so Axe FX III can do it all.

I consider FM3 as a live unit, so we need the best tone, feel, and ease of use as possible.

The studio guys are the ones that needs most features and effects, so Axe FX III can do it all.
Actually, in all live venues I was playing, ease of use and stuff like low latency (pitch shifter I mean you!) was more important than the best tone. The FOH guy needed to fine tune the sound for the location anyway, so I just gave him the best what I could do.
So, „the best“ may not be what you really need.

Actually, in all live venues I was playing, ease of use and stuff like low latency (pitch shifter I mean you!) was more important than the best tone. The FOH guy needed to fine tune the sound for the location anyway, so I just gave him the best what I could do.
So, „the best“ may not be what you really need.
The fact is that different people have different needs, and it’s hard to find a happy medium.

So far, I think people is really happy with Fractal products.

I just wanted to have it all, from ultra to ax3.

I do both... But believe me, I use features and effects live all the time (well, when live was last possible, anyway) :)

I think an FM8 or FM10, similar form factor to the AX8 makes the most sense. For me and seems like many others..the AX8 was the perfect form factor

I really liked the size and form-factor of the AX8 as well. It just made sense to me.....eight foot-switches, with three more foot-switches off to the side to easily configure those eight foot-switches to function as presets, scenes, or effects. The FM3 footprint — with just the three foot-switches — is a little more challenging for me......but then again, I could simply add an FC6 and pretty much have the same sort of form-factor/function as I had before with the AX8.

The biggest improvement in tone for me right now, however, is for me to better learn how to use all that this FM3 has to offer.

Cliff, what's your take on the Quad Cortex? I havent heard many demos of it. Andertons was going crazy over it.
Andertons did a review on the Friedman ASC-12 power monitor and gave it a poor review but I noticed they did not even have the level right when they did the review. they had the level on 4 and needs to be on at least 8 or they sound like poop.

I haven't used one. Of course Andertons was going crazy, they're a dealer. Do you really think they would say bad things about a product they sell?
All said about Quad Cortex and it’s shortcomings, the footprint and layout are excellent, but that touch screen should be removable like the Avid S1 tablet format or it’ll cave in the hot sun.

Surprising to see it’s nearly same switch layout and similar design as Gordius Little Giant, which is an ideal footprint for my needs. If someday Fractal could get FM brain into similar switch layout with highly configurable midi capability, I’d be very interested in being a “renewed” customer. That or a 2-space III. Till then I’ll be hanging with the II and the Little Giant.

Back
Top Bottom