New Firmware Version 1.0 for the MFC-101 MIDI Foot Controller

Yes, should I try another update
No .. the FW Update msg means you updated the firmware OK. Power up holding the 11 button and IIRC you have to press ENTER (flashing red) to Reset to factory defaults when yu get the "RESTORE? PRESS ENTER' msg.

The "AXE-FX Name timeout" means you are not connected to an AxeFX, nothing else. Standard msg. Sure you held Button 11 down while powering up?

Last edited:
No .. the FW Update msg means you updated the firmware OK. Power up holding the 11 button and IIRC you have to press ENTER (flashing red) to Reset to factory defaults. The "AXE-FX Name timeout" means you are not connected to an AxeFX, nothing else. Standard msg.
Hey Thank you for taking your time to help! I really appreciate it. Yes, I re-boot holding the 11 and click on the enter foot switch when it asks. It then says restoring. Then the screen reads Fractal Audio MFC-101. then it goes to X000. On my Ultra it shows 000 Studio Lead. Now if I click the down footswitch it goes to 380. I click the up foot switch it goes to 005. Then the AXE-FX NAME TIMEOUT message shows. It's capitol letters. The whole time, it's hooked up to my Ultra.

Ok.. good progress.. almost there. That "AXE-FX NAME TIMEOUT" msg means MFC is not communicating with Ultra.
You'll need to confirm operating mode is set to ULTRA and Interface is set to MIDI.
1. press EDIT, then press SETUP (button 5).
2. Use Page buttons (arrows -> <-) to get to "Axe-Fx Mode". Make sure its set to ULTRA. If not, use UP/DOWN buttons to change value to Ultra. Available values are NONE, STD, ULTRA, II. Press EDIT to save.
3. Press Edit again, press MIDI (Button 4). Again use Page buttons to get to "Use Port" parameter. It should say MIDI. If not use UP/DOWN arrows to change to that value. There's only 2 values ,MIDI or EXPANSION (for Axe-II). Press EDIT button to save.
4. Now check MIDI IN/OUT cables are hooked up properly. IF so, you should see "000 Studio Lead" in MFC display.
If you get TIMOUT mdg, power cycle MFC.

Last edited:
Awesome s0c9! I think I'm almost there! Yeah it was set to standard so I set it to Ultra. And the port is to midi. And now the names show, but it still jumps by 5's

Awesome s0c9! I think I'm almost there! Yeah it was set to standard so I set it to Ultra. And the port is to midi. And now the names show, but it still jumps by 5's
OK.. you say it still jumps by 5's.. what are you doing that makes that happen? Pressing the UP button? See Page 15 of new 1.0.5 MFC Manual.

Ooops.. sorry Scott. didn't see ur post :)

Last edited:
OK.. you say it still jumps by 5's.. what are you doing that makes that happen? Pressing the UP button? See Page 15 of new 1.0.5 MFC Manual.

Ooops.. sorry Scott. didn't see ur post :)
Thank you I will look right now. Seriously though thanks guys for helping this MFC101 NooB!!!

Bank size of 5 is the default... lets buttons 1 to 5 change presets within a "bank". Each bank is 5 presets.
Press UP to get to 6 thru 10 (bank1), UP again to get to 11 to 15 (bank 2) and so on, up thru preset 384.
This leaves buttons 6 thru 17 for IA and Temp/Tuner use.

Seriously recommend that you read the manual. The MFC has MANY excellent features -customizing IA's and Song and Set modes too :)

Scott and s0c9 FINALLY I GOT IT! Yep the bank size was 5 changed it to 1. OMG what a journey! I'll be totally lost once my Mission pedals get here. Thanks again Friends!!! I'm back to normal :)

Did you guys do the system reset (hold down 11 when booting up) after the update, but *before* you dropped your converted settings file back in?

Yes, I did it! The converted-settings-LOAD didn't work. I've tried it a few times...
I got the message "Preset 1 loading" > the whole time, even when the loading process is ready.

Am I correct in understanding I should be able to save my MFC-101 presets by backing them up before I update the firmware and then reload them once firmware is flashed?
If so that is with done using the SysEx converter to make my backup compatible with the new firmware?
But I need to find a utility that will receive my backup first?

Last edited:
Am I correct in understanding I should be able to save my MFC-101 presets by backing them up before I update the firmware and then reload them once firmware is flashed?
If so that is with done using the SysEx converter to make my backup compatible with the new firmware?
But I need to find a utility that will receive my backup first?
Yes, yes and yes!

Yes, I did it! The converted-settings-LOAD didn't work. I've tried it a few times...
I got the message "Preset 1 loading" > the whole time, even when the loading process is ready.

I'm getting the same
Also getting Axe-Fx Name Timeout, don't understand I'm still using the same 7 pin cable as before supplied by G66

Any ideas

I'm getting the same
Also getting Axe-Fx Name Timeout, don't understand I'm still using the same 7 pin cable as before supplied by G66

Any ideas
Did you try to upgrade the firmware using the 7-pin ? Is so, that won't work. You need a 5-pin midi cable connected from PC to MIDI IN port on MFC. The TIMEOUT msg indicates the MFC is not communicating with the Axe.

See above for more details on confirming model settings, etc.
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/mfc-1...er-101-midi-foot-controller-2.html#post512109

Last edited:
Sorted the time out issue
Just went into setup and chose ultra and it's fine
Still can't get the backup to load ..
Emailed Matt , he's on it ;0)

Sorted the time out issue
Just went into setup and chose ultra and it's fine
Still can't get the backup to load ..
Emailed Matt , he's on it ;0)
Kool... and you are not alone on the conversion restoration challenges. Matt will figure something out.

Very cool upgrade indeed. My wish list feature unfortunately didn't make it to this one (perhaps in the next one?) I would love to have more than 100 songs since I've tapped out the song list already because of the extensive setlists we typically run. Another 100 slots pleez Cliff? Pretty pleez?

Hi,
I cant seem to get the new "Backtrack" fumction to work. Does it need to be enabled somewhere ?
thanks,

Back
Top Bottom