New Firmware Version 1.0 for the MFC-101 MIDI Foot Controller

Admin M@

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
mfc101-fw-v1

Firmware version 1.0 for the MFC-101 Midi Foot Controller has been released as a free download on our web site. This update adds more than a dozen new features, including several of the most popular items on this forum's wish list.

• The number of onboard presets has been increased from 128 to 384, matching the number found on all Axe-Fx processors.
  • The Tap Tempo footswitch can be set to launch the tuner when held for 2 seconds.
  • In addition to the option for a global preset, each preset can instead load its own "alternate preset," or "backtrack" to the previously loaded preset, when stomped again.
  • General use (non-Axe-Fx) Instant Access Switches can now operate globally, their states retained/re-transmitted across preset switches.
  • Instant Access switches, External Switches, and Internal CCs can optionally be set up so the ON and/or OFF state sends no MIDI commands. (Useful, for instance, with Axe-Fx VOL INCR/DECR functions).
  • All Instant Access switches briefly show their names whenever they are stomped ON.
  • Thanks to new "OFF" entries, Sets and Songs are no longer required to use all available slots.
  • Song NAMES are now shown instead of numbers while you are creating a Set.
  • Set NAMES are now shown instead of numbers while you are selecting a Performance Mode.
  • Any number (0-17) of switches can now be assigned to switch presets, leaving the balance available for Instant Access functions.
  • Red LEDs may be set for OFF, making it easier for colorblind individuals to detect Axe-Fx IA Switch states.
  • Preset switches may be set up send program changes to devices on other MIDI channels, but send nothing to the Axe-Fx.
  • Plus full support for Axe-Fx II, including expansion port operation with no AC Adapter required.
The update is recommended for all MFC-101 owners, and is REQUIRED for those who wish to use the MFC-101 MIDI foot controller with the Axe-Fx II.

The new firmware, new Quickstart Guide, and new Owner's Manual can be downloaded from Fractal Audio Systems Support - Axe-Fx Latest Firmware, Manuals, Downloads, Axe-Edit Software, and more

----------- IMPORTANT NOTES-----------

* Firmware 1.0 is not compatible with current settings. After installing the update you MUST perform a "Factory Reset" by re-starting the MFC-101 while holding the #11 footswitch. This will clear ALL settings.

* Firmware 1.0 is not compatible with SysEx backups made using older firmware. A conversion utility, included in the download, can be used to convert older files for use with v1.0.

* Instead of ON/OFF, Axe-Fx mode now requires you to specify which model of Axe-Fx you're connecting to. Press EDIT, then press SETUP (#5), and select a model. Press EDIT to save/exit.

* To connect to an Axe-Fx II via the EXPANSION port, you must select this option on the MFC-101. Press EDIT, then press MIDI (#4), and select a PORT (MIDI or EXPANSION.)

--------------------------------------

Last edited:
BOOM goes the dynamite.

These features will make using the MFC even better - cannot tell you how much more functional many of these features are without a long drawn out post. Thumbs WAY up on this release. :D

*Note: Folks doing this update need to do a backup of their existing settings from the MFC via the "Dump Sysex" function *before* they do the firmware update!!

Holy cow, it's foot-controller Christmas in June! With these new features, you're making an already-good controller even better, even world-class. Now may be a good time to decouple the MFC-101 from the perception that it's "only for the Axe-Fx," and expand to a broader market?

When I click "owners manual" I get the quick start guide on the main Fractal Page. The quick start guide link however works great!

Outstanding!!

Can you stream midi commands from the unit? And can it be more than CCs and Program changes? I need to send pitch wheel commands and a few other standard midi language commands to outboard software and gear.

Also, can the user instantly access presets at random, like going from preset 12 to preset 133 just by remapping the switches to become a 10-key entry.

I currently use another footswitch because it's the only one I can find that does this.

Thanks!!

can't wait to update this tonight....despite not having an axe to teset it with,haha, but i want to be ready to fly!!! Those new features sound fantastic! Can't wait.

WOW !! KILLER upgrade!! Looking forward to access to all 384 presets, Axe-II support, and.... :) :)

Just updated (my first time ever) and it was a breeze!!! Looking forward to using the MFC to it's full extent. :)
Thanks guys !! Awesome job !!

This is not correct. That feature has not been added in this release. External Switches send CC data.

Ahh, sorry ...thanks for confirming Matt

I misunderstood this line

Preset switches may be set up send program changes to devices on other MIDI channels, but send nothing to the Axe-Fx.

Re Read and I see what it means. Now

Excellent update. This takes the MFC right up to the major league. Kudos.

A

Last edited:
  • General use (non-Axe-Fx) Instant Access Switches can now operate globally, their states retained/re-transmitted across preset switches.

• YES! This is the REAL pedalboard Mode! Changing preset = changing AMP (channel) but NOT change actual on/off state (bett say: re-transmitted state) of the pedalboards effects (drive, delay ,etc...). Right? And this without the need of using externals -> modifiers reset=no) ....... AWESOME!

Back
Top Bottom