New favorite amp Supremo Trem!

Ha, Rich Fortis was my first guitar teacher. At the time he was playing in a local St. Louis band called The Eyes which later became Pale Divine. I'm so happy for him and the success he has achieved.
I saw Pale Divine a number of times down at the Landing. I loved his use of effects and tones, like in the intro to “The Fog.” I also remember looking for an “Eyes” recording and ended up with some really bad hair metal from some other band. Really happy for his success as well.

Ha, Rich Fortis was my first guitar teacher. At the time he was playing in a local St. Louis band called The Eyes which later became Pale Divine. I'm so happy for him and the success he has achieved.
Lucky SOB. He seems like a really cool dude and his playing...well shit, it is other worldly.

I've played a few times my buddy's Supro Black Magick and it's a beast of an amp for which I've had some serious GAS attacks, the only reason I still haven't fallen victim of those attacks is the supremo trem model which always puts a big smile on my face, even though I haven't directly compared it to the real deal yet.

I saw Pale Divine a number of times down at the Landing. I loved his use of effects and tones, like in the intro to “The Fog.” I also remember looking for an “Eyes” recording and ended up with some really bad hair metal from some other band. Really happy for his success as well.

Kennedy's was my favorite place to see them. There is an old video of The Eyes on this page:

http://www.stlmusicyesterdays.com/Kennedys.htm

I've played a few times my buddy's Supro Black Magick and it's a beast of an amp for which I've had some serious GAS attacks, the only reason I still haven't fallen victim of those attacks is the supremo trem model which always puts a big smile on my face, even though I haven't directly compared it to the real deal yet.
The Black Magick is much darker on the top end and has more midrange compared to the Supremo Trem model. At least it used to be. I might need to grab that amp from storage and compare it to Cygnus.

Hey thanks for this post. This is an amp I've never spent time with, and it really pops on this firmware.

The Black Magick is much darker on the top end and has more midrange compared to the Supremo Trem model. At least it used to be. I might need to grab that amp from storage and compare it to Cygnus.
Well, the one I tried coupled with a vintage tele was anything but dark sounding, actually it was quite ear pearcing 😅

My favorite amp I've ever owned is my '48 Supreme, so that's always been what I think of as the Supro sound. I know, not the same as the Dual-Tone. Still, while I like the reissues I've noodled on, they seem like different beasts to me. Mine is pretty dark until you crank it up to 8 or 9 (there's no tone control), and at that point any upper frequencies are coming from breakup more than anything else. I'm digging the beta 11 version with a little bit of output mid boost, and some cuts at both the Tone (set to 7.5 at the moment) and 1db at 2khz at the output. That gets me closest to my Supreme.

Last edited:
Well, the one I tried coupled with a vintage tele was anything but dark sounding, actually it was quite ear pearcing 😅
Haha! Well an old Tele can make anything bright. :) My comment was based on recording the real amp and comparing it to the Supremo Trem, which had a lot more sizzly top end compared to the Black Magick. It’s a different amp with different circuitry, so it makes sense that we would hear some differences. I still love the Supremo Trem. I just think the current Supro speakers are are voiced very brightly to compliment the darker amp tone. That’s a killer amp in the room and the midrange is absolutely glorious.

Back
Top Bottom