New FAS Video w. Larry Mitchell + Free Presets!

One thing I noticed in this video, other than the obvious amazing comparison tones and playing, is how low the pickups are on Larry's guitar. Not sure how low the action is, but assuming it's a typical action setup, the pickups are just above the pick guard. At least from what I can tell in the video.

I've been experimenting with pick-up height on my Strat, trying to find the sweet spot and it's amazing how much you can affect the tone with a Phillips screwdriver.

Yes my neck and bridge are lower to the body. It's joe Knaggs designed tremolo. Non locking though. I do like my pick ups lowere from the strings and you can definitely effect the tone a lot. Oh and my action is by so,e standards. Extremely low! :0)

Yes my neck and bridge are lower to the body. It's joe Knaggs designed tremolo. Non locking though. I do like my pick ups lowere from the strings and you can definitely effect the tone a lot. Oh and my action is by so,e standards. Extremely low! :0)

...and now we know. Thanks for taking the time to reply! :)

Who else thinks that the CAB IRs included are way superior to anything we have ever heard! or it might be me... they sound sooo fantastic!

I've not been one to concern myself with IRs much and have been pretty satisfied with the stock cabs in the Axe II, but the AC20 IR included in this download is just excellent. It's like having a 4K TV vs a 1080 TV. I have now replaced almost all the stock cabs on my dirty and clean presets with this one cab. I like it that much.

The 4x12 cab sounds good, but it sounds like just another flavor of the stock cabs to me.

Oh, and I'll say the Timmy has replaced my drive blocks on most of my presets as well. Loving the combination of the new firmware and the cab IR. It's like Christmas or something.

Hey so one question, did you guys used the same real cab and mics and just switched from the real amp and the Axe (so no cab and mic simulation)? or did the Axe was going straight to the monitors with cab and mic simulation?

Hi Larry, what about putting your Backing Tracks on iTunes for sale as well? I'd be the first to buy it!

Thanks for the presets and Merry Xmas from Bavaria!

It would be super cool to know what has been tweeked in the patches/IRs to match the real deal. How where the IRs created that is different from the IRs that are available? Anyhow, a great opportunity to learn from a Pro! Thanks.

It would be super cool to know what has been tweeked in the patches/IRs to match the real deal. How where the IRs created that is different from the IRs that are available? Anyhow, a great opportunity to learn from a Pro! Thanks.

The only things that were tweaked in the patches were drive, bass, mid, treble, (and, where applicable, presence, depth and MV) and speaker LF Resonance (to match the speaker used). To "match the real deal" we set the controls the same as the amp. That was the whole point of the exercise. No advanced parameters were used.

The IRs were captured using the Axe-Fx. Nothing special was done. I think we used a mix of an R121 and an SM57 but it might have been a KSM313 instead of the R121 (I personally prefer the KSM313 but can't remember if I got my way :) ). We placed the mics on the speaker, moved them around a bit and then mixed them at the console. The preamp was the usual API that we always use.

The one thing different about the IR capture is that we mixed at the console. For some reason this can sometimes result in really good IRs. The infamous "Factory 103" IR was mixed at the console. IIRC that was at least four mics that we mixed at the console. Mathematically you should be able to get the same results by mixing individual IRs in Cab-Lab but I've never really experimented with it much. I think part of it is the slight phase difference that gets lost because the individual IRs are minimum-phase transformed (but you should be able to replicate this by adding a little delay to one or more IRs).

@Hubertus very cool thanks for that. I'm all sorted out. It took a while because it's the top level AE Presets drop down > Import Preset...

Never used it before.

With the Deluxe Stereo LM+ preset, lotsa crackling with reverb blocks on High quality on my Mk.II. Scrolled though all the verb types and get crackling on most of them, except the springs and low CPU usage ones. Normal quality = no crackling at all. Just thought I'd note that. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom