New factory presets?

I wasn't trying to be snarky, Just that having to raise the input all the way up to get the meters taping the red isn't normal. My input is at about 30%max with lower output pickups. My Suhr DA's and duncan custom 5's which are much hotter i can adjust down to about 25, but my burst buckers which are about 8.5 are at around 30%ish.
Again not trying to be snarky...

I didn’t read it as snarky. I just don’t believe that there’s something wrong with all four of my guitars or that I have them set up incorrectly. My pickups may be set a bit on the low side, but that’s by my preference, because they sound better that way.

And I don’t pick all that lightly either, quite the opposite. I use heavy picks and really dig in.

Isn't that what Input Trim is for (where available), to compensate for higher or lower output pickups without otherwise modifying a preset's 'feel'?

we spent a lot of time and back and forth trying to get the presets to be level on that VU meter over a range of guitars. again, with so many differences, we tried to get it at the level set line on average for most setups. of course some will be louder and some will be softer. with different guitars, the same preset was dead on the level set line with one, and with other guitars, the same preset was above and below that line. then on a different preset, the first guitar was quiet, and the other guitars were different levels of quieter or louder. not sure what to do when that happens except make a decision and try to have it somewhere in the middle of all of them.

i'm not sure this comes down to having a higher output guitar specifically. again, a range of guitars were used, several people testing all of them, and decisions made to get things sounding good and loud enough on average. that's the best that can be done with the wide range of input devices available in the world.

it's just a given that some guitars are loud and some are quiet. the presets are a starting point, and just like with a real amp, adjustments need to be made to suit your exact gear. maybe your guitar just happens to be more quiet than any of the quiet ones used when adjusting the presets. "low output" guitars were definitely used in the creation process.

I get all that, I’m not an idiot. I’ve been using Fractal gear for ten years and I know how to tweak and level the presets. You asked for suggestions (at least I thought you did) of how to improve the presets and I gave you an answer on how to improve them for me anyway.

I wish I’d kept my mouth shut now.

Just as a reference: The difference in volume between a PAF and a high output pickup is far less than people think. Less than 2 dB, probably even less. Put a low pass filter before the amp, bump the level some, play around with it.
I think when you're talking about Instrument level signal 2dB is a LOT.

Also you don't need a filter or anything else before the amp block. Just adjust Input Trim. Exactly what it is there for ;)

I get all that, I’m not an idiot. I’ve been using Fractal gear for ten years and I know how to tweak and level the presets. You asked for suggestions (at least I thought you did) of how to improve the presets and I gave you an answer on how to improve them for me anyway.

I wish I’d kept my mouth shut now.
the suggestions are warranted. thank you for specifying what you were talking about, as it wasn't clear.

my reaction to the suggestions are what i stated. just a discussion. not sure how that's a bad thing. we can always improve, and feedback like this can help. i just stated what happened and my opinions on the matter. no one won or lost anything.

One feature I miss from the AxeFX II was the way you could apply a global gain to guitar input. That way if you happened to be playing a guitar with low output pickups, you could turn that up and your presets would sound right. For some reason, that feature is not on the AxeFX III.
Make a wish dude..... It might happen 😉

Moke did a really cool thing where he created three versions of the AS8 factory presets for low, medium, and high gain pickups. I thought he did that for the Axe-FX III, but it looks like he didn‘t release it yet.
I never did make the clean to mean presets for the axe-fx 3. It seemed not necessary? With the use of channels, it seems fairly easy to set up different gain structures for each scene without having to use scene controllers. Although, the use of scene controllers makes it smoothly morph between the different gain stages. And then there's the high, medium, low output pickup options, that maybe more useful than I thought?

I think when you're talking about Instrument level signal 2dB is a LOT.

Also you don't need a filter or anything else before the amp block. Just adjust Input Trim. Exactly what it is there for ;)
Granted, 2 dB is a lot. I think the difference between a Suhr SSV (PAF) and a Suhr Aldrich (the hottest pickup they make) was 1.1-1.3 dB if my memory serves me correctly.

The filter thing was just if one wanted to simulate the response of a high gain pickup ;) I just use a 1 dB boost in the input block myself.

I never did make the clean to mean presets for the axe-fx 3. It seemed not necessary? With the use of channels, it seems fairly easy to set up different gain structures for each scene without having to use scene controllers. Although, the use of scene controllers makes it smoothly morph between the different gain stages. And then there's the high, medium, low output pickup options, that maybe more useful than I thought?

It was incredibly useful for me with the AX8 when switching from my Strat to my McCarty. Everything just always sounded so much more dialed in.
I hope you do so similar for FM3 soon.

I only used a handfull of the factory presets since I got my axe-fx II back in the days....but yes....I wouldn't mind if there was a factory preset bank for every guitar ever made ;)

We are wating for Cooper Carter new factory presets
to be clear - cooper only said the petrucci preset was updated, and that the new version is in the presets for the fm3. there is no indication from anyone that the rest of the factory presets are being revised.

Back
Top Bottom