New EV ZLX-112P

I can't believe I actually pulled the trigger on these today. I haven't even seen one review. Why did I then? I figured it like this:

They did win best of show at Namm.

They are EV. I think these are intended to smash this price point and slightly above and even though made in China, they do seem to have some pretty nifty engineering. I think EV wants a home run here.

I am intrigued to see just how well they handled the whole DSP control thing. On paper it seems they covered the bases that most interest me.

I liked the three handles for some reason.

Weight and size.

Same speakers used in the ELX series but with the new weird baffle thingy they did to move the tweeter closer to the woofer and to physically time align the drivers.

Lastly, I can return them for up to 45 days.

I'm interested in these too. I downloaded the manual. It looks like you can control treble and bass in the DSP control menu. I don't like the fact that you don't really know the details behind the controls (what frequency is being adjusted, what type of filter is used, etc.). If it works it works, but I like to know exactly what I'm doing to the sound when I start turning knobs.

Hoping to a/b these with all the other popular powered PA wedges soon (QSC, Yamaha, JBL, etc.). Looks like some Guitar Center stores are starting to carry them in stock (according to their website).

You can get them at guitar center for $362.94 with tax (free shipping) with the current 5 de mayo coupon code and have the option of returning it to the store if you don't like it... I ordered one... we'll see how it goes!

I got a ZLX-12P after selling my active CLR wedge (downgraded for lack of use and due to the fact I have to play at low volumes in my apartment complex)

Then I got one of these to try out today: Powered 12 Inch Coaxial Floor / Studio / Stage Monitor | Compact | Active Pro Audio 12 Inch Coaxial Speaker Monitor with Titanium Compression Horn Driver | 250 Watts RMS

Still have to put reliability and rehearsal volumes to the test but testing it at moderate volumes in my apartment made my decision easy, the ZLX is going back tomorrow...

Back
Top Bottom