New EBMM Gamechanger

Gamechanger is an overused and misunderstood cliche. Makes me cringe.

Anyway, I like the idea of the concept in the Musicman. Wonder if they will also introduce on their other models.

Interesting? Yes. Cool? Yes. Gamechanger? Not so much. So you can configure a bunch of different pickup combos...it's not going to have a huge sonic difference over the standard pickup configurations. Lot's of cool subtleties but I don't think it will change anyones life. Something like the Axe is a much bigger deal than this.

Interesting? Yes. Cool? Yes. Gamechanger? Not so much. So you can configure a bunch of different pickup combos...it's not going to have a huge sonic difference over the standard pickup configurations. Lot's of cool subtleties but I don't think it will change anyones life. Something like the Axe is a much bigger deal than this.

I think that really depends on your viewpoint. You're right that the tonal differences will be subtle, however such subtleties are what makes certain recordings sound the way they do. Imagine if Jimmy Page had never used his pickups out of phase...that's not a standard pickup configuration for most players. I do agree that the name "Game Changer" is a bit arrogant and may be an overstatement, but the idea behind it is the same as the Axe-Fx. You get a zillion options for your tone without having to own a zillion different guitars. And you don't have to break out the soldering iron every time you want to add a coil split option, invert phase, or try some crazy pickup configuration.

Personally, I see it more as a time saving tool than a real game changing innovation. I can focus more on playing the damn guitar while still trying out new settings. Axe-Fx Ultra + Game Changer = Eleventy-Zillion tonal options with one guitar and one 2U magic black box.

Now they only have to create a guitar body and a neck that change between a million different wood materials.

Isn't it also true that a split humbucker can not sound as good as a good true single coil? (why? interference from the other coil?)
Or can they make it close enough?

"As good" is a bit of a tough one, but generally I'd say coil splitting doesn't sound as nice as a proper single coil. Usually the sound is too thin and pissweak IMO, but it really comes down to what pickup you're talking about. The Tone Zone for example, is IMO a good coil splitting pickup. Whether you like its big fat humbucker sound in the first place is another matter.

As for the Gamechanger... cool idea, but not something I'm really interested in personally; certainly seeing as you can't get aftermarket kits to put into whatever guitar you want. But I'm usually fairly simple in my switching tastes anyway. Two pickups, three way toggle, and push/pull or push/push pots for coil splitting the pickups.

Looking to put some new pickups in my RG560 at the moment. Most likely I'll end up leaving the middle pickup in there but not having it connected to anything. Maybe a TZ in the bridge, some kind of rail pickup in the neck... straight three way switching, coil split for the humbucker, parallel switch for the rail pickup. That's enough flexibility for me from the guitar itself. :)

I think that really depends on your viewpoint. You're right that the tonal differences will be subtle, however such subtleties are what makes certain recordings sound the way they do. Imagine if Jimmy Page had never used his pickups out of phase...that's not a standard pickup configuration for most players. I do agree that the name "Game Changer" is a bit arrogant and may be an overstatement, but the idea behind it is the same as the Axe-Fx. You get a zillion options for your tone without having to own a zillion different guitars. And you don't have to break out the soldering iron every time you want to add a coil split option, invert phase, or try some crazy pickup configuration.

Personally, I see it more as a time saving tool than a real game changing innovation. I can focus more on playing the damn guitar while still trying out new settings. Axe-Fx Ultra + Game Changer = Eleventy-Zillion tonal options with one guitar and one 2U magic black box.

Agreed. I think it is a very cool innovation and super-smart design work. Not a knock on EB at all, in fact I think they make some of the finest instruments on the planet. I guess most of my reaction was regarding the name Game Changer & Steve Morse saying it was the most amazing guitar development in decades. Overstatement for sure.

Back
Top Bottom