Wish New dual modifier operations: Minimum, Maximum, Average, Geometric Mean

yyz67

Fractal Fanatic
Add a few other modifier source operations (in addition to add, subtract, multiply):
  • Minimum - net modifier value is the smallest current value of the two sources
  • Maximum - net modifier value is the largest current value of the two sources
  • Average - similar to addition but wouldn't max out when source_1 + source_2 > 1
  • Geometric Mean - similar to multiply but would change the curve, e.g. 0.5 x 0.5 = 0.25 but GM(0.5, 0.5) = 0.5

@Bakerman: I'm playing around with these curves for fun, but I'm curious if it would make sense to have an additional "taper" parameter that could make modifiers behave logarithmically or exponentially (mapped on top of min, max, mid, slope, scale - thus the net curve would be cumulative.)

Examples: (blue=linear, red=log, black=exp)

1601225934471.png 1601226637160.png

In the formulae below, r is a "curviness scale" parameter. In the limit as r->0 both the log and exp curves approach x.

Linear1601226320367.png
Logarithmic [red curve: r=3 (left), 10(right)]1601226301996.png
Exponential [black curve: r=3(left), 10(right)]1601238062557.png

Last edited:
That could be useful, but I'm wondering if a mid + slope adjustment would be close enough most of the time. A more flexible system might be separate controls over the start-mid and mid-end curves, instead of just a log/exp curve for the Y axis (or however your example might be implemented). Being able to have two linear segments would be a nice start.

Also, the options are limited (Tri/Saw LFO, MIDI CC sweep or physically moving pedal/knob precisely) for achieving a steady sweep through any of these potential curves. Damping is still the worst thing about the Axe-FX modifier system IMO. https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/constant-rate-modifier-damping.147620/

Damping is still the worst thing about the Axe-FX modifier system IMO. https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/constant-rate-modifier-damping.147620/
If the transfer curve graph displayed it for what it is (a little easing at the ends) and gave a switch to disengage it if desired, then it could be there or gone at your choice.

I like the 'segments' idea also. I find myself tweaking a lot of slope/offset/etc. to get close to a linear curve on one half and a nonlinear curve on the other (particularly when divvying up the controller pedal's throw into three 'regions' with distinct sounds) and wanting to ease the transition in or out of one side to make on-the-fly blend control easier. I've kinda got it going, but it is less linear than I'd like in sone cases. Can provide a preset with my chorus blend to demonstrate....

Back
Top Bottom