New DT album

P

plexi59

Who the hell mixed this thing? You hire Mike freakin' Mangini and you drown him out with the rest of the band. What's the point?

Overall, pretty decent album, though.

That's because they didn't have Portnoy there to make the drums too loud. But then again, DT was *his* baby.

I dont like it. It is to clinical, dont like the singin and there are no surprises or any new creative things happening. Maybe they should had take that break MP suggested. Liked the new Opeth album though. But that is of topic.

Reactions: jon
I agree with the OP. The mix in this new album has no balls. Unlike "Black Clouds & Silver Linings", which I think sounds fantastic.

Also clicked on the Wikipedia link for Andy Wallace... not impressed with any of his mixes. He's worked on some great albums, but none that I would consider to be awesome mixes. Just MHO. :)

Saw Dream Theater last night at the Warfield in S.F. with Trivium so the AXE was well represented. Although the overall mix was muddy for both bands, at least where I was standing, they played great! I'm not into barking vocals but was impressed with Trivium.
As far as the new DT album, it's growing on me and didn't find the mix to be that bad. But man, Mike Mangini is a monster on drums! I really like what he brings to the table, hey don't miss a beat with him on the sticks.

The mix could be better, but overall I really like the new CD. I'm really happy they rediscovered the have a great keyboard player in the band.

As far as the drumming, Mangini sounds great. To be picky, there's a little too much double kick and not enough tom work for me. But I don't miss Portnoy at all.

IMO:
The drums are bland; uninspired, and mixed low with no real ooomph! to them. Petrucci wrote them, and then "hired" a real drummer to play it. Much of the "prog!" bits of the album seem to be "sewn in" among the hook-laden, triplet-chug/djentlemanly bits. Much of the material sounds "inspired" from about a dozen of their previous songs (Thiago of Bad Salad cites I&W) , so it feels more like a "Best Of" created with a similar design idea that Portnoy used for his AA Suite.. except inversely (all on one album, instead of spread over several). At times, I feel like I am listening to an album that was assembled rather than written by good songwriters/musicians. One of the techniques used to make James' vocals "better" can be quite annoying: double (or more), then pan slightly to each side, detune very slightly. It would be nice to have a drier, centered vocal additionally; as it is, the lead vocal has no "center," no anchoring. The mix is.. questionable. It seems like a more "modern" mix; I would love to hear a more "Pink Floyd DSOTM" style mix (get Parsons you idiots!!!), or even "The Wall" or WYWH. This mix can be fatiguing at times (for various reasons at various points). I am not sure I agree with the ordering of the songs; Outcry or Breaking All Illusions would have been great choices to end the album with. In fact, I thought Outcry was the end initially, and when it was not, I thought Breaking was. After Beneath finished, I was left with a.. "Uhh.. that is how they decided to wrap this one up??" I am also left wondering if Portnoy was as much of an influence on the lyrics as it seems (ridiculously so at times).

That said...
I actually love the album. I got into DT before Images, and my favorites are Images and Awake (still). Their last few (several?) albums were rough for me. I really like that Jordan did not (blatantly) utilize his "current toys" as he did on the last album (ugh). Myung seems to be more present, but it would be great to have him be more integrated with Rudess and Petrucci, as well as locking in for some tasty bits with their drummer (whoever that might be in the future). I love listening to this album on my home studio system (Blue Sky Sky System One 5.1 + additional 15" powered sub), and I actually listen to the entire album each time; I lose track of time, and find myself doing nothing but listening, smiling, singing, and enjoying. Once the music begins, nearly all of my dislikes above are put aside. I love that LaBrie does not have me listening to the album in doses; their Budokan DVD is one I have a very difficult time sitting through entirely in one sitting due to his.. yelling. Did I mention I really like this album? A lot? Would love to have the raw tracks and remix it; even better would be to sit Mangini down and have him actually write the drum parts.

IMO:
Petrucci wrote them, and then "hired" a real drummer to play it.

This is an internet rumor that has been repeated ad nauseum and is false.

Mangini has stated in numerous interviews that he had the liberty to change the drum parts from Petrucci's demos as he saw fit and he did not just play what he was told to.

With that said, I do agree with you that he seems to play more "for the song" than Portnoy did. It seems like although he's capable of brief flashes of technique that are beyond anything Portnoy was capable of doing, for most of the tune he's content to be a team player.

This is an internet rumor that has been repeated ad nauseum and is false.

Mangini has stated in numerous interviews that he had the liberty to change the drum parts from Petrucci's demos as he saw fit and he did not just play what he was told to.

With that said, I do agree with you that he seems to play more "for the song" than Portnoy did. It seems like although he's capable of brief flashes of technique that are beyond anything Portnoy was capable of doing, for most of the tune he's content to be a team player.
My remark was a bit of snarkiness.. should have "sarcasm on/off" bracketed it ;)
My issue with Mangini's playing is that it seems... bland and "held back." Almost as if he was trying so hard to please.. to tread so lightly, that the performances lack.. life. Well played technically, but none of the personal bits I hoped for; hence, "drum machine" (lol). Not being part of the writing process is likely a huge part, as is a bit of the "treading lightly" aspect. On the "5 Years In A Livetime" DVD, comments were made about Sherinian.. how he "changed" once he was made a member versus being a "hired gun." Maybe MM is feeling a bit of that as well; fear of doing something wrong, or whatever, and thus affecting replacement by Portnoy or something else. He quit his job, he has a family. Who knows. To me, the performances are restrained, and lacking "Mangini's Personality." Heck- there are even little Portnoy-isms here and there. I hope they make a DVD from this tour; it would be interesting to hear how he progresses as he becomes more comfortable.. more secure. And then I would love to convince Thomas Lang that playing on my album would be a great idea :D :razz :D

agree mangini sounds restrained, competent, but not much of those wow moments. Portnoy appears to be an a hole, both from what I see (watched every moment of every video, behind scenes, etc. and know people who have personally "dealth" with him. but I like/love his drumming. Personally the best drummer in the tryouts was the necrophagist drummer.

agree mangini sounds restrained, competent, but not much of those wow moments. Portnoy appears to be an a hole, both from what I see (watched every moment of every video, behind scenes, etc. and know people who have personally "dealth" with him. but I like/love his drumming. Personally the best drummer in the tryouts was the necrophagist drummer.

I liked Marco Minnemann too. It would have added some much needed fun to DT.

Back
Top Bottom