New Dream Theater Album is Up For Streaming.

I had 2.5 listens to the album and its not too bad. I know this kind of music grows on you the more you listen, but I'm not really seeing a monumental difference in this to the recent albums. I think its on par with the previous ones. Each album had a couple stand-out songs in them. By the way, I'm listening to this on ear buds with my employer company's name on them... no I don't work for sony.. I work for an engineering consultant.... is pettrucci's tone different from right to left?!? :D Maybe listening on good speakers at home will help bring out some more appreciation.

Sure there were some cool moments here but nothing that gave me goosebumps or surprised me. They certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings if they were to take a radically different approach to the music. They have built up a good collection of "Dream Theater" songs now, more than most would listen to in a lifetime. I would actually like that... for example, Faith No More in the mid nineties had an album where many of the songs were so different from eachother and from what had been typical of FNM up to that point it made stop and think if it was still them playing! (but then patton's eventual shouting, sceaming and vomiting would confirm the truth).. I loved that album! I loved the surprises!

Still gonna get the album. I think there might have been one song in there I may be capable of playing.....

It's better than ADTOE and BCASL but I still hated it :(. As a long time DT fan I really wanted to like it and was hoping they'd be turning over a new leaf with this album, but it seems they've gone downhill in the creativity department. Sounds a bit like they're on auto pilot. Noooo

I think they were very creative on this album. The album has its own energy and genuine sound like Awake did and Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence did as well. To me this is the best record since SDOIT. Give it a few proper listens with a good mix and I am sure it will grow on you.

I had 2.5 listens to the album and its not too bad. I know this kind of music grows on you the more you listen, but I'm not really seeing a monumental difference in this to the recent albums. I think its on par with the previous ones. Each album had a couple stand-out songs in them. By the way, I'm listening to this on ear buds with my employer company's name on them... no I don't work for sony.. I work for an engineering consultant.... is pettrucci's tone different from right to left?!? :D Maybe listening on good speakers at home will help bring out some more appreciation.

Sure there were some cool moments here but nothing that gave me goosebumps or surprised me. They certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings if they were to take a radically different approach to the music. They have built up a good collection of "Dream Theater" songs now, more than most would listen to in a lifetime. I would actually like that... for example, Faith No More in the mid nineties had an album where many of the songs were so different from eachother and from what had been typical of FNM up to that point it made stop and think if it was still them playing! (but then patton's eventual shouting, sceaming and vomiting would confirm the truth).. I loved that album! I loved the surprises!

Still gonna get the album. I think there might have been one song in there I may be capable of playing.....

I thought the album was very surprising. Give it some time,listen to a good mix and listen to this when you aren't consumed with other things.
This music needs time,its the best they did since Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence. The song writing was great,there was a variety of tracks with many different
styles. This album was very different actually from a bunch of the previous ones,the song structures and arrangements were excellent and everyone was at the top of
their game.

To me this is a classic Dream Theater release. Heard it more than 5 times already. A stellar record after a very long time.

I always REALLY want to like new DT, but I've been having a hard time getting excited about their work ever since Six Degrees. This album has been no different in that regard, and honestly a lot of it, for me, is the keyboards and James's voice. I have nothing but respect and admiration for those guys, but I just don't relate to this material the way I did to "Images and Words" like 21 years ago, and that's OK... Because they still play that stuff live, and I'll still go see them for that when they tour.

I'm always amazed by their talent but DT hasn't made the album's
I love since Awake. I&W was their finest to date.
The new self titled album does sound good just finding the whole writing
in the studio delivers less emphasis on great songs first and foremost.

It's better than ADTOE and BCASL but I still hated it :(. As a long time DT fan I really wanted to like it and was hoping they'd be turning over a new leaf with this album, but it seems they've gone downhill in the creativity department. Sounds a bit like they're on auto pilot. Noooo

I always REALLY want to like new DT, but I've been having a hard time getting excited about their work ever since Six Degrees. This album has been no different in that regard, and honestly a lot of it, for me, is the keyboards and James's voice. I have nothing but respect and admiration for those guys, but I just don't relate to this material the way I did to "Images and Words" like 21 years ago, and that's OK... Because they still play that stuff live, and I'll still go see them for that when they tour.

Totally agree!

I am in awe of these guys. Being a Super fan...I love this new record.

If you listen closely there are shades of every prog rock band that came before them on this album.

The production value on this record is absolutely insane. The mix is perfect (to my ears) and everything sounds like where it should be. I wish all records where this "clean".

This is going to sound weird, but if VH's last record would have been mixed and produced this cleanly, it would have turned a "meh" record into a great record.

I am in awe of these guys. Being a Super fan...I love this new record.

If you listen closely there are shades of every prog rock band that came before them on this album.

The production value on this record is absolutely insane. The mix is perfect (to my ears) and everything sounds like where it should be. I wish all records where this "clean".

This is going to sound weird, but if VH's last record would have been mixed and produced this cleanly, it would have turned a "meh" record into a great record.

I agree.

I don't know why some folks aren't liking it. Their finest work to me was on "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence". If people miss Images And Words/Awake this new album has elements from that album plus Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence. Folks should give it a few listens before judging it.Dream Theater didn't surprise me much since "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence" but this album is a breath of fresh air.

Music is so subjective... what floats one person's boat, isn't another person's cup of tea. :)

I'm just hopeful the overall sound and mix is better than ADTOE. IMO, that's what made ADTOE less enjoyable... it just didn't sound good to me.

I really thought the production and sound of BCSL was top notch... hope this new one sounds at least as good as BCSL.

I think one thing that might need to be said is that it's not necessarily a yearning for another Images and Words or Awake. At least not for me. I relate to in music (and pretty much everything else in life) in a drastically different way at 39 than when I was 18. Again, for me, there's a strong bit of nostalgia attached to those songs... They take me back to those younger days, some exciting and happy times, and that sort of thing. If I heard Images and Words for the first time ever TODAY, there's a very good possibility I wouldn't care for it, you know?

All that said, I've listened to the new one a couple of times, and yes... It's good music and those guys do what they do better than anybody... It's just not reaching me. But when I hear the intro of Metropolis Pt 1, I'm immediately whisked back to being 18. It's a nice feeling for that 9 minutes or whatever it is, and that's where the appeal is for me.

I've been trying to get into the new album sooo hard but no go. After days of listening I've come to terms with the fact that there isn't anything surprising in this album. Each song is actually quite predictable. Don't really know how else to describe it. If I were to rank this I'd put it somewhere down around Falling Into Infinity for me. For reference, my #1 would be SFAM, followed by Awake. It's pretty much like every album since 6 degrees - only 2 or 3 tracks will make it into my daily work/commute playlist.

... and I really don't understand why they couldn't come up with a better intro than False Awakening Suite. They are capable of so much more. It sounds like it could be a soundtrack from a Simpsons movie. Spider pig hooked on smack.

Music is so subjective... what floats one person's boat, isn't another person's cup of tea. :)

I'm just hopeful the overall sound and mix is better than ADTOE. IMO, that's what made ADTOE less enjoyable... it just didn't sound good to me.

I really thought the production and sound of BCSL was top notch... hope this new one sounds at least as good as BCSL.

It sounds really good man.

I've been trying to get into the new album sooo hard but no go. After days of listening I've come to terms with the fact that there isn't anything surprising in this album. Each song is actually quite predictable. Don't really know how else to describe it. If I were to rank this I'd put it somewhere down around Falling Into Infinity for me. For reference, my #1 would be SFAM, followed by Awake. It's pretty much like every album since 6 degrees - only 2 or 3 tracks will make it into my daily work/commute playlist.

... and I really don't understand why they couldn't come up with a better intro than False Awakening Suite. They are capable of so much more. It sounds like it could be a soundtrack from a Simpsons movie. Spider pig hooked on smack.

I found this album not so predictable at all. Found a lot of new and experimental stuff,which they didn't do since "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence". Listen to it when it comes out with the proper mix,it might grow on you.

It's interesting how opinions are so varied in the Dream Theater fan base. As far as I am concerned this is the best record after their masterpiece "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence".

Love this record and the way they trimmed things down and focused on the song writing and crafting in the instrumentation like in the past.

And then the final epic has got to be one of the best Dream Theater has done in terms of long epic.

For me this album is spectacular.

I think one thing that might need to be said is that it's not necessarily a yearning for another Images and Words or Awake. At least not for me. I relate to in music (and pretty much everything else in life) in a drastically different way at 39 than when I was 18. Again, for me, there's a strong bit of nostalgia attached to those songs... They take me back to those younger days, some exciting and happy times, and that sort of thing. If I heard Images and Words for the first time ever TODAY, there's a very good possibility I wouldn't care for it, you know?

All that said, I've listened to the new one a couple of times, and yes... It's good music and those guys do what they do better than anybody... It's just not reaching me. But when I hear the intro of Metropolis Pt 1, I'm immediately whisked back to being 18. It's a nice feeling for that 9 minutes or whatever it is, and that's where the appeal is for me.

It might grow on you after some listens.

I am waiting for my original copy with the 5.1 surround mix as well. The mix on sound cloud is compressed but the drums and the overall mix is much louder,pretty
much like it was in BCSL and Systematic Chaos.

Back
Top Bottom