New Dr Bonkers Cab Pack On Pre-Order: Aguilar 8X10 & 4X12

dr bonkers

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Help me make this happen.

Details below. Please help me make this happen as I am only 1% funded towards the goal:

Where are all the people that asked me to do an Aguilar Cab Pack and wanted 8X10's?

None of you have shown up yet. It's kind of disappointing that my only backer so far is one of my college friends.

This place has lost some of it's mojo IMO....
I'm considering to stop sharing my free CabPacks and not make any new ones.
So you have my sympathy in regards to lack of interest.
Personally I got most of my bass ir needs covered, but I will support your cause anyway.

Per

Last edited:
This place has lost some of it's mojo IMO....
I'm considering to stop sharing my free CabPacks and not make any new ones.
So you have my sympathy in regards to lack of interest.
Personally I got most of my bass ir needs covered, but I will support your cause anyway.

Per
thanks so much!

I'll be kicking into this next pay, for sure.

Sorry it is such an uphill battle for this. It's funny (not in the "haha" sense) to see so many bass players complain about the lack of bass gear in the Axe-Fx, but not jump on these opportunities to help bring some of it in. Of course, I don't even think there are too many bassists using Fractal gear, and every guitarist seems to think what they are getting out of it is "good enough" for bass.

I'm hoping this campaign is a success and we'll see these awesome Aggie cabs!

I would assume that this is going to be a process that takes quite a bit of time to work through.

Bonkers - dang! I was going to contribute today and noticed that my bookmark for the campaign didn't work. Came here to look and saw your update. Congrats on that! :D
I worked for the last 7 days on the iso booth. My brother-in-law is going to help me hang the doors on Saturday night since I found door hanging is not a 1 person operation no matter how many jigs one devises. Will post pics soon that do not inform potential competitors. I am awaiting some more acoustic insulation delivery. Once that arrives along with lighting, I will be able to advise first cab ir shoot dates. Then I can coordinate with @FractalAudio & @ M@tt for cab pack release dates.

Last edited:
Hi Dr Bonkers,
You don't think that cabinet would affect the response of the cab in it? Seems (to me) that it'd have at the very least a mild affect on the low frequency capabilities as it would load up the drivers. Not being negative, just asking :)
Thanks
Pauly

Hi Dr Bonkers,
You don't think that cabinet would affect the response of the cab in it? Seems (to me) that it'd have at the very least a mild affect on the low frequency capabilities as it would load up the drivers. Not being negative, just asking :)
Thanks
Pauly
This is the same size booth as at the studio where I recorded everything for the last two cab packs.

The only difference is that the booth at the studio was coupled to the frame of the building, whereas mine is decoupled from the ground using a method I worked out with a couple of mechanical engineers, to make sure my calculations and methodology were correct.

I can't give any more details as that would be getting into that realm known as "trade secrets". ;)

Hi Dr Bonkers,
Thanks
Pauly
Every room outside of an anechoic chamber and having the speakers operate in free space will change the response of course. Having the mic 1" versus 1' away from the speakers will change things drastically as well, as you catch more room reflections. Based on Dr. Bonker's last pack, I believe his methodology is sound and he produced a great cab pack. I'm looking forward to the next ones :D

Sorry it is such an uphill battle for this. It's funny (not in the "haha" sense) to see so many bass players complain about the lack of bass gear in the Axe-Fx, but not jump on these opportunities to help bring some of it in.

I have to plead guilty. I loaned out my AxeFxII to my guitarist friend almost 2 years ago when his Lexicon rig bit the dust, and now he's buying it from me. I've literally only had it in my possession 2 or 3 times since then to tweak programming, and then, off it goes again.

I've become tired of the battle to indulge bassists, and just went in another direction with gear that is more bass-appropriate for the gigs I'm doing these days (simpler, smaller, and much less demanding for effects). Now, I just grab whichever small multi-fx modeler/pedal is most appropriate and call it a day. That wasn't the case 4+ years ago when the AxeFx (Ultra and II) were really the only option I had at my disposal to do the types of insane, labor-intensive programmed things I HAD to have (in a single piece of gear) for one of my gigs, and that gig went away permanently.

I've also grown tired of the feeling that I'm missing something by not continuing to update firmware at regular intervals, and dedicate huge chunks of time that I don't have to auditioning IRs and tweaking stuff impacted by FW updates. I know what I'm doing, but it NEEDS TO BE EASIER for bassists! Although it is great to see all of the efforts from @dr bonkers and @ML SOUND LAB and others 3rd party vendors, it also represents a time suck that I simply cannot indulge given my professional and family life. So, something had to give.

I still love FAS products and may jump back in the fold sometime soon, and based on what develops in the bass processor market from FAS and others. I can always get it back from my buddy on short notice if I ever need to use it. I do feel bad about it, honestly, but that doesn't mean I won't advocate for FAS gear for bass. My needs and available time have changed, and I generally don't get emotional, hanging onto gear that I don't use. Trust me, the 2 EL8 Distressors and Neve broadcast modules I sold still break my heart....but...such is life.

I am in India right now. The bass tardis is ready when I get back. 8x10 aggie is booked for the day after Thanksgiving. Stay tuned...

I need to re-book the cab for another session. After my further review, I deem the files are not up to my standards to release. Stay tuned as I wouldn't release files that I would not be 100% pleased buying. This happened when I was producing the first cab pack and all turned out well in the end, so do not worry.

Cab pack for the 8X10 should be complete and delivered to Fractal soon this week.

What an incredible cabinet, so powerful and yet so articulate.

Standing in front of one physically and playing the Mesa Bass cab block at default values with just my power amp driving it at 90 dB SPL was a quasi-religious experience using my Les Paul Triumph Bass on the bridge pickup and internal tone switch on the 2 setting.

I truly "get" why people love this cab so much.

Back
Top Bottom