Wish New CS Per Scene Value

aemery

Currently we have three values for control switches: ON, OFF, and LAST. I think there would be great value in a fourth value.
Something like: SCENE. This value would leave the control switch in the state it was in the last time a user was using a scene.

I use a control switch to toggle amp gain, a clean boost, and sometimes reverb levels. It is super annoying to be able to be able to control all of my other blocks on/off state per scene from my FC6, but have to menu dive to set the state of my control switches per scene.

I hope that makes sense and thanks to anyone who reads or has thoughts about this idea.

This value would leave the control switch in the state it was in the last time a user was using a scene.

You're ALWAYS "using" a Scene. You can't use the product without being in a scene.

Exactly. Maybe my wording was a little poor and should have been, “last time a user was using that scene”. Honestly, I’m a little stunned that LAST is an option and not something like this. This solution would allow people to use control switches with per presets and allow them act like every other per preset instead of having a unique workflow

Yeah that would be cool. Especially when you're using control switches to change several parameters at once. Say you have a control switch that turns on a lead boost and delay at the same time. When I return to a scene where I had it on when last I left it, it would be great if it was still engaged.

I'm just glad this is getting a little traction. I was worried I'm crazy after it sat for a couple weeks without anyone responding

Actually, more like +1,000,000.

It's really important if you use scene revert and want to use control switches for drives etc, so you can turn multiple blocks on and off with one switch. The ability to turn a drive block and a matching post-amp EQ on and off with one press is something I want literally every day. Control switches are currently the only way to get there, and I SO wish they could act like turning the drive on and off directly.

I understand but there is a problem in the request.

First, the architecture: this new value would set each CS based on a value stored in a temporary buffer. That buffer must have space for every control switch in every scene (6x8=48). When a CS is set to use this buffer, it uses the value from the buffer.

But what if every scene is set to use the buffer? How does the first scene loaded know its value should be? 50% would say default to off. 50% would say default to on. Adding this as an option makes things even more complicated.

I understand but there is a problem in the request.

First, the architecture: this new value would set each CS based on a value stored in a temporary buffer. That buffer must have space for every control switch in every scene (6x8=48). When a CS is set to use this buffer, it uses the value from the buffer.

But what if every scene is set to use the buffer? How does the first scene loaded know its value should be? 50% would say default to off. 50% would say default to on. Adding this as an option makes things even more complicated.
Thanks for jumping in Admin M@.

With the proviso that I'm fairly new to control switches and may misunderstand some fundamental stuff...

- This wish is about control switches, not controllers, so the values are just on/off.

- About initial values, they'd be the values saved in the preset for each scene, just like they are now.

- About the buffer complication, why is this so different from the on/off states of blocks?

Thanks for jumping in Admin M@.

With the proviso that I'm fairly new to control switches and may misunderstand some fundamental stuff...

- This wish is about control switches, not controllers, so the values are just on/off.

- About initial values, they'd be the values saved in the preset for each scene, just like they are now.

- About the buffer complication, why is this so different from the on/off states of blocks?
I think I understand Admin M@'s concern and might have an idea to deal with it. When first selecting the preset, it lands on a particular scene (either "as saved" or "scene 1", IIRC - I use "scene 1").

Since CS are generally out of the scene flow by default, it presents a dilemma for when the switch is set to "last active" or whatever it ends up being called, there is no "last active" state for the scene. Currently, they can be on/off/last.

Perhaps "last active" could pop out a sub-menu that lets the user choose one of on/off/last as the initial state, or maybe there should be three "last active" states that add on/off/last as initial state when chosen (i.e., "last active (on)", "last active (off)", "last active (last)"?

I understand.

How about the existing UI but with a "preserve scene state" checkbox for each control switch?

I have to say, this is such the long way around to get to where I and I think others want to be, which I think comes from two wishes stated elsewhere:

- Some way for a single footswitch press to turn multiple blocks on and off. Could get there with a way to link the bypass state of two blocks, so turning either one on or off affects both, by having "bypass groups" which you could set and toggle like individual blocks (see my channel groups idea elsewhere, which is also love), or by actually providing the ability for one switch to perform multiple actions.

- A way to exempt selected blocks from scene and/or preset changes.

Those are my main reasons for wanting to be involved with control switches in the first place, though I'm sure others have other motivations.

Last edited:
I understand.

How about the existing UI but with a "preserve scene state" checkbox for each control switch?

I have to say, this is such the long way around to get to where I and I think others want to be, which I think comes from two wishes stated elsewhere:

- Some way for a single footswitch press to turn multiple blocks on and off. Could get there with a way to link the bypass state of two blocks, so turning either one on or off affects both, by having "bypass groups" which you could set and toggle like individual blocks (see my channel groups idea elsewhere, which is also love), or by actually providing the ability for one switch to perform multiple actions.

Those are my main reasons for wanting to be involved with control switches in the first place, though I'm sure others have other motivations.
Post updated with some further thoughts.

I understand.

- Some way for a single footswitch press to turn multiple blocks on and off. Could get there with an way to link the bypass state of two blocks, so turning either one on or off affects both, or by actually providing the ability for one switch to perform multiple actions.

Mine are pretty much universally set to "last", as I am often using them to control multiple things at once, separately from the scenes, but I can see the value of being able to have a particular switch (or two or three) in a preset remember where it was left in each scene and revert back to that when returning to that scene. It is, essentially, very similar to "scene revert" for bypass state, but for control switches....

It is, essentially, very similar to "scene revert" for bypass state, but for control switches....
Exactly. In my workflow, this is the single best quality of life enhancement that I can think of. I have some modifiers set to CS1 to control gaining up or down an amp. Being able to set and preserve my drive, reverb, and delay block's channel/bypass state for a scene with a foot switch, but have to menu dive to control my "Amp Drive" state is very annoying.

Back
Top Bottom