New computer questions

Just looked up the creation station. Very expandable, so I wouldn't sweat too much about your starting point. It will be easily expandable in the future.

The hot swap bay is a good place to add a cheap, slow, backup HDD that you can swap out. Put a copy of everything off site (safe deposit box, friends, work).
What's the best way to backup? I lost everything on my last computer and that's why I ordered this one and would like to have all my toontracks and Superior drummer stuff plus song tracks saved to whetr they don't get lost again. Can everything I download or record be automatically sent to two drives simultaneously?

What's the best way to backup? I lost everything on my last computer and that's why I ordered this one and would like to have all my toontracks and Superior drummer stuff plus song tracks saved to whetr they don't get lost again. Can everything I download or record be automatically sent to two drives simultaneously?
Yes, but no, that's usually not a good backup strategy for recorded audio because it impacts performance. It's usually better to do periodic incremental backups to a large hard drive (but opinions vary). Time Machine on MacOS is ideal for this since it gives you the ability to easily browse through backups to restore files from a particular checkpoint. And it allows you to maintain multiple backups of the same system so you can keep one offsite at all times. There are similar systems for Windows as well.

Yes, but no, that's usually not a good backup strategy for recorded audio because it impacts performance. It's usually better to do periodic incremental backups to a large hard drive (but opinions vary). Time Machine on MacOS is ideal for this since it gives you the ability to easily browse through backups to restore files from a particular checkpoint. And it allows you to maintain multiple backups of the same system so you can keep one offsite at all times. There are similar systems for Windows as well.
I suggest two backups of everything. One can be on-site (a drive you can pop in your 3.5" hot swap bay) and something offsite (Dropbox, iCloud, AWS S3 Glacier, CrashPlan, etc.). An onsite backup does you no good if your house burns down.

So one thing I did not see mentioned here is, what are you recording? If you are recording 2 or 4 tracks at a time, recording to an HDD should not be a problem. But if you are recording a full band, with 8 mics on the drums alone, and have 16 or 24 tracks recording simultaneously, I would want to record to an SSD.

As @fractalz says above, backups should be both local and remote. My routine is, one copy of files (that I care about) on main drive in main computer. Second copy on external drive. Third copy in remote location. The remote location one is critical so do NOT ignore that one. Reason being, if the building your computer and external drives reside in burns down, you are left with nothing. The remote location version will be safe from such a catastrophe.

I have been using M.2 drives since 2015 I believe, and before that I used the "Revo Drive" that utilized the graphic card slots on the computer (which the M.2 drives do as well). The big advantage to M.2 drives is, both SSD and HDD plug into what is known as SATA ports. Those SATA ports (in their current version) support only 6 GB/s data transfer. The PCI graphic slots (than and M.2 plugs into) can support up to I believe 32 GB/s. So the part of the computer they are connecting to is over 5 times faster. If you have a SSD drive that can read and write at 8 GB/s, but it is hooked up to a SATA port, you will get a maximum of 6 GB/s even though the drive could move data faster if it had a highway big enough to do so.

I have a M.2 devoted to OS and program installs with a lot of extra space to use when I need it. I then have all plugins, sample libraries, etc. on SSD drives. I also record to the SSD drives (I don't need more than the 6 GB/s that the SATA ports provides for the recording as I am doing at max, 8 simultaneous record channels). Then all backups are on HDD drives both external and remote. I don't like cloud services, so I make a backup once a year and send the external drive to my mom's house, and she puts it in a safe there, so that is my remote backup.

Best of luck with the new box and note that you may be able to recover the data from your old box! I would even be willing to help you do that if you would like. The process would involve taking the hard drive out of the old box and putting it in an external reader (then shipping it to me if you wanted me to try and recover it). If the hard drive is still working, the data is still there. Now if your computer failed because the hard drive went bad, then it is a whole different process, but can still be recovered via data recovery services. PM me if you want an assist on any of that!

I suggest two backups of everything. One can be on-site (a drive you can pop in your 3.5" hot swap bay) and something offsite (Dropbox, iCloud, AWS S3 Glacier, CrashPlan, etc.). An onsite backup does you no good if your house burns down.
That's true, I had a fire at my business once and it was horrible! Thanks man.

That's true, I had a fire at my business once and it was horrible! Thanks man.
Always remember, it's not if your drive (or whatever) will fail, it's when.

I taunted folks on my team by saying "oh, we reformatted all the desktop computer HDs last night to optimize performance. You didn't have any changes that you didn't check in, did you?"

Your drives are temporary storage. Also a reminder, the drive doesn't need to fail, it could be that you fail. Consider:

Code:
sudo rm -rf /usr /local/my-project

Always remember, it's not if your drive (or whatever) will fail, it's when.

I taunted folks on my team by saying "oh, we reformatted all the desktop computer HDs last night to optimize performance. You didn't have any changes that you didn't check in, did you?"

Your drives are temporary storage. Also a reminder, the drive doesn't need to fail, it could be that you fail. Consider:

Code:
sudo rm -rf /usr /local/my-project
Like the saying goes ...

"There are two kinds of people ... those that backup and those that will."

I just made myself get used to making backups. If you do it regular enough it becomes habit. Im use 2 different apps. Acronis True Image which I have used for years and Aomei Backerupper. Funny name but amazingly QUCIK and reliable backups (The Aomei stuff) Aomei also has a great disk and partition management app. I use that also. Not expensive at all. I mainly use the Aomei stuff now.
Incremental backup[s were king but when disk real estate became so cheap I just do full backups. You can schedule (as in automate) most good backup apps.

I use a freebie app called Allway Sync. I have tried a few others, but never purchased one. I am usually fine with using two explorer windows to do my backups, but when I want help (like automation, version compare of files, etc.), I use Allway Sync.

So one thing I did not see mentioned here is, what are you recording? If you are recording 2 or 4 tracks at a time, recording to an HDD should not be a problem. But if you are recording a full band, with 8 mics on the drums alone, and have 16 or 24 tracks recording simultaneously, I would want to record to an SSD.

As @fractalz says above, backups should be both local and remote. My routine is, one copy of files (that I care about) on main drive in main computer. Second copy on external drive. Third copy in remote location. The remote location one is critical so do NOT ignore that one. Reason being, if the building your computer and external drives reside in burns down, you are left with nothing. The remote location version will be safe from such a catastrophe.

I have been using M.2 drives since 2015 I believe, and before that I used the "Revo Drive" that utilized the graphic card slots on the computer (which the M.2 drives do as well). The big advantage to M.2 drives is, both SSD and HDD plug into what is known as SATA ports. Those SATA ports (in their current version) support only 6 GB/s data transfer. The PCI graphic slots (than and M.2 plugs into) can support up to I believe 32 GB/s. So the part of the computer they are connecting to is over 5 times faster. If you have a SSD drive that can read and write at 8 GB/s, but it is hooked up to a SATA port, you will get a maximum of 6 GB/s even though the drive could move data faster if it had a highway big enough to do so.

I have a M.2 devoted to OS and program installs with a lot of extra space to use when I need it. I then have all plugins, sample libraries, etc. on SSD drives. I also record to the SSD drives (I don't need more than the 6 GB/s that the SATA ports provides for the recording as I am doing at max, 8 simultaneous record channels). Then all backups are on HDD drives both external and remote. I don't like cloud services, so I make a backup once a year and send the external drive to my mom's house, and she puts it in a safe there, so that is my remote backup.

Best of luck with the new box and note that you may be able to recover the data from your old box! I would even be willing to help you do that if you would like. The process would involve taking the hard drive out of the old box and putting it in an external reader (then shipping it to me if you wanted me to try and recover it). If the hard drive is still working, the data is still there. Now if your computer failed because the hard drive went bad, then it is a whole different process, but can still be recovered via data recovery services. PM me if you want an assist on any of that!
Thank you for that advise and for offering to help. I might take you up on that. I just don't know the procedures. I put both of my old HDD drives in the Hot Swap bay And my files are there so it must've been the board or something that went out. I guess I just have to download all the programs again and figure out how and where to put my old files and get a backup plan. I have a big gun safe that's fireproof to put a backup in so that's no problem there. It's just a pain losing all my settings and starting over with downloads that are large and time consuming. Thanks so much for the help.

Starting from scratch is a pain in the ass. But that's what I always do when I upgrade my computer every four years or so. Supposedly Windows no longer requires you to do this, and I have pulled OS drives from one Windows machine and put them in another one with dissimilar hardware and it worked for the most part. But I still prefer to start from scratch. I'm not sure what it's like with Apple.

Thank you for that advise and for offering to help. I might take you up on that. I just don't know the procedures. I put both of my old HDD drives in the Hot Swap bay And my files are there so it must've been the board or something that went out. I guess I just have to download all the programs again and figure out how and where to put my old files and get a backup plan. I have a big gun safe that's fireproof to put a backup in so that's no problem there. It's just a pain losing all my settings and starting over with downloads that are large and time consuming. Thanks so much for the help.
Happy to help! I know that recovery of settings and such can be a real pain, but at least your data seems like it is there, so you can at least cherish that little victory!! Gun safe is good, but there are things other than fires, so I would still recommend an off site storage for your most important data!!! Good luck and let me know if there is anything I can do or if you have any additional questions!!!!

Does someone know a good app that can simply make an easily restorable disk image of c:\ on Windows 11 with out
running in the background, or having a bunch of extra features?

Back
Top Bottom