New Computer. Mac or PC?

Ya I totally agree! I can’t believe I’ve gotten almost 10 years from mine and it still runs great. The allure of buying a nice new shiny iMac is still pretty strong though!!! Lol. Music is my thing so I don’t mind spending the cash though when I need to. But I agree my first step is to buy a new interface then update my OS to Sierra and then update logic and see how that works. I didn’t know ram was that cheap. With the sealed iMac can I replace the ram myself or do I need someone else to do it??

I used to use Macs, but switched to windows decades ago. Very tired of the mine is better than yours BS that seems to always happen when both platforms are discussed. I will never , ever go back to Macs. That being said...........................................
I like and agree with many of the posts that in essence stated "Since you know macs so well and like Logic, stay with the macs. Good advice imho!

I thought of this reading through this thread... I think this video is hilarious been up for a few years so you may have already seen it.

Lol!!! I just had time to watch this. What a great video. So true about iTunes too. Worst music platform ever. Apple used to be so good but I do agree it’s getting more and more frustrating using their products. I cringe at how much dough I’ve spent on apple products!! Lol

I think iTunes has always been terrible for my needs. Mind you, it's perfect for my kids, my parents and many of my friends, but it's not designed for a serious fan of music. MediaMonkey under Parallels is the only tool for me! I think the perception that Apple was much better during the Steve Jobs days is largely illusory. It's change that turns people off.

My decision to use Apple is based on my experience with poor quality out-of-the-box PCs, on the benefits of my having adopted the entire Apple ecosystem, and on the quality of AppleCare and other service offerings.

Let's be careful that this thread doesn't turn religious, lest we have to lock it.

Last edited:
I think iTunes has always been terrible for my needs. Mind you, it's perfect for my kids, my parents and many of my friends, but it's not designed for a serious fan of music. MediaMonkey under Parallels is the only tool for me! I think the perception that Apple was much better during the Steve Jobs days is largely illusory. It's change that turns people off.

My decision to use Apple is based on my experience with poor quality out-of-the-box PCs, on the benefits of my having adopted the entire Apple ecosystem, and on the quality of AppleCare and other service offerings.

Let's be careful that this thread doesn't turn religious, lest we have to lock it.
I’ve never heard of media monkey. I’ll have to check that out. Overall I’m happy with Mac stuff. I pretty much just use my computer for recording only so at this point I’m quite content. Logic and apogee = pure magic!!

I thought of this reading through this thread... I think this video is hilarious been up for a few years so you may have already seen it.

I like some of ricks videos about what makes songs great and all that, but this one is just asinine. I get that iTunes is pretty universally disliked among power users, I don’t really understand why, but I also don’t consider myself a power user in terms of library upkeep. Every single thing he pointed out in that video was trite and contrived, some of it laughably so. So far as I’ve kept up with, the only thing that Apple really messed up with recent changes to iTunes IMHO is getting rid of the browse pane...the one with a column for artist, album, and genre which made it easy to dig through your stuff with the tracks showing up in the pane below all that. Other than that, if you don’t use the radio or the store, then don’t use them. They are both different from the for you section. Rating your music (I don’t do it) can be a good way to keep Your stuff organized. ‘Go to current song’ is an easy to find the currently playing song in your library, especially if it came up on shuffle in a playlist. Go to song in store is an easy way to snag the rest of an album or start looking at an artists other stuff. So on. So forth. This video isn’t even criticizing the platform in any real way, it’s just rick acting stupid on purpose to get clicks.

Also does any video chat service let you record a call? Does your phone let you record phone calls? To say that FaceTime doesn’t work because you can’t record the call is absurd.

I like some of ricks videos about what makes songs great and all that, but this one is just asinine. I get that iTunes is pretty universally disliked among power users, I don’t really understand why, but I also don’t consider myself a power user in terms of library upkeep. Every single thing he pointed out in that video was trite and contrived, some of it laughably so. So far as I’ve kept up with, the only thing that Apple really messed up with recent changes to iTunes IMHO is getting rid of the browse pane...the one with a column for artist, album, and genre which made it easy to dig through your stuff with the tracks showing up in the pane below all that. Other than that, if you don’t use the radio or the store, then don’t use them. They are both different from the for you section. Rating your music (I don’t do it) can be a good way to keep Your stuff organized. ‘Go to current song’ is an easy to find the currently playing song in your library, especially if it came up on shuffle in a playlist. Go to song in store is an easy way to snag the rest of an album or start looking at an artists other stuff. So on. So forth. This video isn’t even criticizing the platform in any real way, it’s just rick acting stupid on purpose to get clicks.

Also does any video chat service let you record a call? Does your phone let you record phone calls? To say that FaceTime doesn’t work because you can’t record the call is absurd.
I don’t really use or take advantage of what iTunes has to offer as I would just import my cds and then it would organize them and that was all fine. I then went to the monthly streaming service and it’s a pain. Every time I get on there I have to enter my Apple ID 3 or 4 times in a row. Every time!! Lol. Also when I bounce down my own songs from logic and then import them to iTunes that works well until I try to put it on my phone. What a nightmare now. It used to be drag and drop but now it’s just a big hassle every time I try to do that. All in all it’s ok though. A few bumps here and there but I just work around it! Lol

I don’t really use or take advantage of what iTunes has to offer as I would just import my cds and then it would organize them and that was all fine. I then went to the monthly streaming service and it’s a pain. Every time I get on there I have to enter my Apple ID 3 or 4 times in a row. Every time!! Lol. Also when I bounce down my own songs from logic and then import them to iTunes that works well until I try to put it on my phone. What a nightmare now. It used to be drag and drop but now it’s just a big hassle every time I try to do that. All in all it’s ok though. A few bumps here and there but I just work around it! Lol
Yeah you maybe got me on that one, manual syncing anything to the iPhone is not nearly as intuitive. However, I use Apple Music and I never have to sign into my account in iTunes unless I’m actually going to the account/billing page. Not sure what would be causing that for you. The way I get around the syncing thing is just to right click on the track I imported and hit Add to Apple Music...a minute or two later the track is on my phone.

Biggest problem I have with the music library is just never deleting stuff even if I added it on a whim and later decided I don’t like it. My library is riddled with crap for that reason. Overall though I’m definitely one of those people who ‘it just works’ is actually true for 90% of the time or better. Don’t know why that is when I see other people have so many problems.

Oh man, my trusty 2011 15" MacBook Pro just died. It's exhibiting the symptoms of the logic board failure that there was a class action lawsuit about. Unfortunately, mine didn't have the problem then, and it's no longer covered....

I had always thought I'd replace it someday with a 2015 MacBook Pro with the retina display, but now I'm reading how they aren't allowed on a lot of commercial flights anymore because a number of the batteries have blown up. That would be sort of limiting.

So now I'm trying to figure out what to get. I've primarily been using it just to talk to the Axe III, YouTube, a few other music apps, and misc things when traveling. Really nothing Mac specific, as I actually avoided using things like the picture apps, hate iTunes, etc. I have an Android phone, so I don't use any of the linked texting stuff, etc.

I'd have liked to get a Mac Mini and bigger monitor for home use, but I look at the prices, and I think I could just get a Intel NUC for half the price. Doesn't help for traveling though.

Anyone recommend a Windows laptop that doesn't suck?

Oh man, my trusty 2011 15" MacBook Pro just died. It's exhibiting the symptoms of the logic board failure that there was a class action lawsuit about. Unfortunately, mine didn't have the problem then, and it's no longer covered....

I had always thought I'd replace it someday with a 2015 MacBook Pro with the retina display, but now I'm reading how they aren't allowed on a lot of commercial flights anymore because a number of the batteries have blown up. That would be sort of limiting.

So now I'm trying to figure out what to get. I've primarily been using it just to talk to the Axe III, YouTube, a few other music apps, and misc things when traveling. Really nothing Mac specific, as I actually avoided using things like the picture apps, hate iTunes, etc. I have an Android phone, so I don't use any of the linked texting stuff, etc.

I'd have liked to get a Mac Mini and bigger monitor for home use, but I look at the prices, and I think I could just get a Intel NUC for half the price. Doesn't help for traveling though.

no

no, but my mid 2010 17” macbook pro went belly up last year...hard drive failure..
replaced with an SSD and now it’s twice as fast. Last week replaced the bulging battery..didn’t have to...but did it and the computer is...knock on wood...a perfect machine.

Just watched the video...and I agree that the iTunes interface is crap. I use iTunes to store music, Capo to work on music and Remote to play back digital music....it works for me. Outside of the interface question, the music I occasionally download from the store is accessible in what you described as the eco-system. I’m unsure how your music is accessible in your eco-system with media monkey, guess I’ll have to investigate. But, I am one of those who believes that Steve Jobs had a better design compass than what is going on now. My experience is when Tim Cook took the reins we had a bunch of iPhones in silly Easter colors. Now we have an over-priced cheese grater. iOS and Mojave?

experience with poor quality out-of-the-box PCs,
I think that right there is the main issue when it comes to Mac or PC. I would always choose a self-built PC over a Mac. It’s just so easy to build a real beast of a computer that will be good to go for years to come, for the same money or less than a Mac. I realize though, that the majority of people purchasing a powerful machine have no desire to build their own, and that’s where, IMO, where a Mac really shines. Laptop?.....get a Mac. Powerhouse desktop?......build a PC!

Every now and then I get an urge to check out a PC again. Then I fire up my wife's PC and remember why I left in the first place. Nothing wrong with PCs hardware-wise, but Windows is a turd. Wouldn't want to spend all day using it. So when my 2014 iMac kicks the bucket, it'll be replaced with another iMac. For work, I use PCs but they run Linux.

I went the path of least resistance, and bought one of the exploding 2015 MacBook Pros. Supposedly it's had the battery fix, but the guy couldn't find the paperwork. It does only have 25 cycles on the battery. It was the easiest thing, since I already have all the music software I use for it.

I use a big multi-monitored PC I built for most of my computer use, Windows 10, all that. I don't really have any hate for Microsoft at this point. To be honest, I don't really like OSX a lot either. They've added so much feature creap bullshit in there over the years. I don't give a fuck about cloud anything, I don't care if it links to a phone or iPad, and I personally like to know where my files are. Using something like the photo app is never going to happen. I get that's it's great for the masses, but being a software engineer, I prefer to care of some things on my own.

Biggest drawback I see for the PC is that Microsoft is now charging a yearly subscription fee for the Office pack that you used to be able to pay for once and done.......sad. My PC with Office 365 "suddenly" expired and now I can't copy/paste or revise any documents I had. Solution for that was OpenOffice. Less buggy and no fees on a Windows 7 PC.

The best way to describe the difference between a Mac and a PC is that they are two different ways of thinking. In most cases, you can come to the same result using either, but they will go about it in a different manner. For example, when using Windows on a PC, to close the program, a user simply clicks the red X at the corner of the program window.
You may interested in more compare information. docsbay.net/mac-vs-pc-which-should-i-buy

Back
Top Bottom