New compact midi controller from RJM!

Yup, that's been in the works for awhile. Apparently it has the same power as the GT series pedals without the displays for each button. Which means, there isn't anything you can't do with it.
-
Austin

If I were to add this to my setup with my existing controller , I would need some type of midi splitter.
What would be the simplest light weight/small option?

I'm not familiar with these more advanced, fully programmable MIDI controllers. How would this work with the Axe-Fx in terms of scenes? For example, how many scenes per preset can you have?

All eight, and a lot of ia's and everyrhing you can dream of. Just download the editor, and give it a try! Super easy!!!

I haven't bought one yet, just looking at options. Will the editor work offline or in some kind of simulation mode so you can see what it can do? Then again, there's always the manual. :)

Anyone know if it will work with a GCX switcher and can it get power from the GCX?

Thanks!

Last edited:
So do you own a Mastermind LT? Just had a look at the editor...wow! Looks like a bit of a learning curve, but very impressive.

I have a GT22 and this has the same power. I find that it's actually pretty easy to use. For any given thing you're looking to do, there's a logical way to do it. And since GT users have probably already done 90% of what a given LT user might be wanting to do, getting help shouldn't be a problem. I think the lack of displays might make the LT more difficult to use, but that shouldn't affect setting it up.
-
Austin

I don't gig so the display probably wouldn't be a big issue. Looking for something that can access more than 4 scenes per preset, which is a limitation on the GCPro I'm using. The small footprint is also an attractive feature.

I don't gig so the display probably wouldn't be a big issue. Looking for something that can access more than 4 scenes per preset, which is a limitation on the GCPro I'm using. The small footprint is also an attractive feature.

Yeah, that's not an issue at all on the Mastermind units. The LT can do everything the MFC101 can do and much more.
-
Austin

I had some questions about the Mastermind LT, so I emailed RJM and they replied immediately to my questions. Here's a summary of my inquiries;
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ME: I'm considering purchasing the Mastermind LT. In terms of power, do I need to purchase anything else in order to use it with phantom power? I would also like to be able to control a GCX switcher and an Axe-Fx II. Can that be accomplished and if so, how?

RJM: The best way to connect everything is:

Mastermind LT MIDI Out -> Axe-Fx MIDI In using a 7-pin MIDI cable Axe-Fx MIDI Thru or MIDI Out -> GCX MIDI In using a 5-pin MIDI cable You can plug an AC adapter into the Axe-Fx's phantom power input if you can find one that fits. Unfortunately, the one provided with the LT will not fit the Axe-Fx. It requires an adapter with a 5.5mm outer diameter and 2.5mm inner diameter plug.

Alternately, you can use one of our phantom power boxes:

https://www.rjmmusic.com/xcart/phantom-power-adapter-din7f-one-input-.html?category_id=16

This will connect to the LT with a 7-pin MIDI cable and the Axe-Fx with a 5-pin MIDI cable. You plug the LT's AC adapter into it and it'll power the LT.

ME: What are the specs. on the power supply, is it 9VDC @ 2,000 mA? I can always change the barrel connector, if need be. So if I use your phantom power boxes, do I connect the GCX the same way? Can I still use my Roland MM-4 MIDI Thru Box?

RJM: The LT's power supply is 9VDC 1000mA, but it really only requires about 150mA. If you use a phantom power box, the GCX connection remains the same. You can use a thru box, but only after the Axe-Fx. If you put anything between the LT and Axe-Fx, you'll lose the ability for the Axe-Fx to communicate back to the LT. This will prevent you from displaying the tuner, downloading preset names, etc.

ME: Can the LT display the AxeFX tuner?

RJM: Yes, as long as you have the right MIDI connection between the two. A 5-pin active or 7-pin MIDI cable will do the job, as long as nothing is in between them (except possibly our phantom power box.)

Set up a button that's type IA with the actions:

System / Tuner
Axe-Fx / CC Toggle Tuner
That will activate the tuner when the button is on.

Does the LT allow instant random access to any bank in the LT? Say I just finished doing a song that uses afx preset 67 assigned to bank 67 on the LT - the audience is ready to keep dancing, and next perfect song at that moment would be afx preset 7 assigned to bank 10.
Can I randomly and instantly get to that bank on the LT? If not, why not have that capability? I hope that makes sense.

Does the LT allow instant random access to any bank in the LT? Say I just finished doing a song that uses afx preset 67 assigned to bank 67 on the LT - the audience is ready to keep dancing, and next perfect song at that moment would be afx preset 7 assigned to bank 10.
Can I randomly and instantly get to that bank on the LT? If not, why not have that capability? I hope that makes sense.

The GT series have that ability. There's a preset number mode that lets you just tap in the number of the preset you want and go right to it. The LT is supposed tone able to do anything the GTs can, but I'm not sure how that particular feature would work given that there are less than 10 buttons on the unit.
-
Austin

Back
Top Bottom