New Community Tool/Resource

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!

Over the past couple weeks I have been working on what could be the successor to Yek's Guide to the Fractal Audio Amplifier Models. I found myself playing around in a certain framework again and needed a project to work on. After some thought, I had an idea for a companion site of sorts that the Fractal community would hopefully find helpful.

It's far from complete, but after some thought (and a little hesitation) I figured it would be best to get it in front of folks sooner rather than later. If enough interest is generated I would be more than happy to continue development. I have a lot of ideas and would love to see this grow into something amazing!

I need to get my SSL cert sorted, but I would be thrilled if people would take a look and offer some feedback. While you should be able to register for an account, there's no reason to do so at the moment. Hopefully there's enough mock content to get my ideas across but eventually ratings/favorites, comments, etc would be tied to your account.

It is my pleasure to introduce http://fractalpedia.net

Also, I should mention I'm not affiliated with FAS and it was absolutely not my intent to infringe upon anything or copy/rip what Yek and simviz put together. I simply used it as a resource to get the project off the ground; please take a moment to read the about page :)

Many thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone!

Over the past couple weeks I have been working on what could be the successor to Yek's Guide to the Fractal Audio Amplifier Models. I found myself playing around in a certain framework again and needed a project to work on. After some thought, I had an idea for a companion site of sorts that the Fractal community would hopefully find helpful.

It's far from complete, but after some thought (and a little hesitation) I figured it would be best to get it in front of folks sooner rather than later. If enough interest is generated I would be more than happy to continue development. I have a lot of ideas and would love to see this grow into something amazing!

I need to get my SSL cert sorted, but I would be thrilled if people would take a look and offer some feedback. While you should be able to register for an account, there's no reason to do so at the moment. Hopefully there's enough mock content to get my ideas across but eventually ratings/favorites, comments, etc would be tied to your account.

It is my pleasure to introduce fractalpedia.net (sorry I couldn't link, but my post was flagged as spam like and this was the only way I could get it to go through)

Also, I should mention I'm not affiliated with FAS and it was absolutely not my intent to infringe upon anything or copy/rip what Yek and simviz put together. I simply used it as a resource to get the project off the ground; please take a moment to read the about page :)

Many thanks!
Great idea to have a central point to access all the amazing works that have been presented by the forum members and Fractal beta team. Too many names to list but I'm sure everyone knows who they are. If this site takes off like I hope it does it should be awesome tool/reference to go to for info, tech advice, lessons learned etc. Best of luck and thanks to everyone who has gone out of there way to makes this the best forum and company around hands down. I constantly am going to Wikipedia and all the amp, drive guide for guidance and info to help me learn.

Best of luck!

You're off to a great start... that is a really nice format. A couple of things that immediately popped into my head might be links to the most obvious cab pairing IR's and also including the fractal model name(s) and be able to search cross / reference somehow. I'd also love to see links to the factory presets/scenes that feature the amp model. This kind of stuff is exactly the kind of thing I'd love to see Fractal have in a library manager similar to what some other folks are doing. Might also be nice to include links back to the fractal wiki where appropriate in the "Videos and related links". Hopefully this will expand out to the effects as well eventually.

Seems like a good idea, as long as you keep the content well-curated. I'd imagine you'd have to spend many hours every day to get it up to speed, then probably a few hours every day once that happens.

The goal was to transform a PDF that was infrequently updated, and has fallen out of date, into a fully-interactive trove of knowledge driven and powered by Fractal users.

We have this already: https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Amplifier_models_list

The upside to the wiki is it exists as long as Fractal Audio exists. Your site exists as long as you feel like footing the bill for it to exist.

Also:

Nearly all initial content on FractalPedia came from the guide, and this site simply would not have been possible without the generosity of Yek, simviz, and all the other forum members who contributed in one way or another - thank you all!
So...your information is no more up-to-date than the PDF then?

This is a strange re-packaging of other people's hard work.

We have this already: https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Amplifier_models_list

The upside to the wiki is it exists as long as Fractal Audio exists. Your site exists as long as you feel like footing the bill for it to exist.

Also:

So...your information is no more up-to-date than the PDF then?

This is a strange re-packaging of other people's hard work.
I feel like you're being a little hard on Spartan. He said the motivation for this was to a find a project to hone some skills, and if this gives him that outlet while also providing a resource to the community, I don't think it's necessary to put this under a magnifying glass and criticize it so harshly.

I get what you're saying. Is this a revolutionary tool for the community? No. But I'm not gonna sweat his swag.

I feel like you're being a little hard on Spartan. He said the motivation for this was to a find a project to hone some skills, and if this gives him that outlet while also providing a resource to the community, I don't think it's necessary to put this under a magnifying glass and criticize it so harshly.

I get what you're saying. Is this a revolutionary tool for the community? No. But I'm not gonna sweat his swag.
I mean, this is someone else's intellectual work re-packaged. We have a term for that. I'm being pretty soft all things considered.

If I made a website re-sharing @dr bonkers' presets because I didn't like the way his website presented them would that be okay? What about redistributing @AlGrenadine's software on my own site because I thought I could describe it better eventually?

@yek how do you feel about it? It's your IP.

Last edited:
I mean, this is someone else's intellectural work re-packaged. We have a term for that. I'm being pretty soft all things considered.
Yeah, on second thought, I gotta agree. I mean what, exactly, an example of which would be nice, would you do differently, that would make it worthwhile? My actual first reaction to your OP, was something akin to infringement/piggy-backing onto, not only the wiki, but FAS in general.

Maybe, instead, (since you mentioned some negatives about the wiki) you offered your help in maintaining the wiki...? Or is your intent less altruistic? My gut is iaresee is right.

I mean, this is someone else's intellectual work re-packaged. We have a term for that. I'm being pretty soft all things considered.

If I made a website re-sharing @dr bonkers' presets because I didn't like the way his website presented them would that be okay? What about redistributing @AlGrenadine's software on my own site because I thought I could describe it better eventually?

@yek how do you feel about it? It's your IP.
Come on, man. You're smart enough to distinguish between your examples and this case. Those are vendors of their respective products. Yek doesn't and never (as far as I know) charged for anything he's made for the community. Spartan is just providing the information from a public wiki and from a document that was, itself, a repackaging of yek's threads, in a different way to provide an outlet to hone a skill.

Spartan has also been pretty clear as to what this is (a different way to view existing content) and what it isn't (his own IP).

Maybe, instead, (since you mentioned some negatives about the wiki) you offered your help in maintaining the wiki...? Or is your intent less altruistic? My gut is iaresee is right.
We've been trying to build more community contributions around the wiki for a decade now. It'd be amazing if more people wanted to contribute to that. @yek maintains it pretty much on his own.

As someone who creates electronics documentation for a living, I know how much effort it would take me to produce the Amp Guide that Yek/simviz created. Their work is detailed, succinct and visually very well-formatted. How Yek does everything he does for this community and yet still finds the time to eat/sleep/gig is absolutely beyond me…

They are equivalent works of intellectual property. Just because one is written down and offered up freely as a PDF doesn't mean all control for distributing it has been reliquished and it can be copied freely, by anyone, in any way, without permission.
What if he rearranged the words slightly, and repeated some a different number..., wait, sorry. I'm thinking of a pop song (or a hundred.)

They are equivalent works of intellectual property. Just because one is written down and offered up freely as a PDF doesn't mean all control for distributing it has been reliquished and it can be copied freely, by anyone, in any way, without permission.
I still see this differently than you. Given Spartan is doing this for educational purposes, it feels more like Fair Use to me, but it’s not worth arguing. I do agree that it’s Yek’a call after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom