New capture method with FREE Greenback IR

I think this IR is quite well balanced and I got a balanced tone with f.ex. HBEs, 5153s and Brit Silver amp sims which are some of the most balanced amp sims in the unit.

Tangential side comment, this is exactly how I test IRs. I have a preset called "IR Lab" that's just an overdrive (whatever the flavor of the day is, usually @2112 's FET Drive block); an amp with A:5153 50W Blue, B:Friedman HBE 2018, and C:Brit Silver or Brit #34, and D:Angle 1; and a cab.

If I can find a cab that sounds good flipping between the 4 channels of the amp block, I can usually get it to work any.

Relating this back to the conversation, this is how I tested the new @York Audio IR, and I was happy with the results.

Gentlemen, you´ve misunderstood, I think - I didn´s said - not turn the knobs. I said - if too much.....then listen to the next IR Position.

After all this years and thousands of IR which i checked out - I think I know how I can find my sound for recording and live.

Thanks for all of the positive feedback, everyone. Your encouragement is what keeps me wanting to do this, and I'm very happy that it's helping you guys get great sounds and hopefully inspiring new music within you.

I'm really excited for this new season. I just installed a pedal drawer in my rack with a bunch of pedals I couldn't recreate in the Axe, and it's been blowing my creativity wide open! Between that and a new batch of IR's, I feel like I have a brand new unit and I'm loving the tonal variety I can get out of this box.

Regarding turning knobs... there's no right or wrong way to do it. It's whatever sounds best for your ears, your guitar, and your hands. For me, I just set the model controls the same way I set my real amps. I set the Vox models like my real AC-30, the Marshalls and Friedmans are close to how I set up my real Marshalls, and the same goes for my Fenders. My favorite Marshall I have is a slightly modded '97 JCM 2000 DSL100 and it absolutely ROARS! The knobs are all over the place, but it sounds fantastic through any cab I throw at it. The settings can change pretty drastically depending on if I'm using V30's or Greenbacks or Blackbacks, 2x12's or 4x12's. Gotta run, but more on this later.

Thanks again!

My favorite Marshall I have is a slightly modded '97 JCM 2000 DSL100 and it absolutely ROARS! The knobs are all over the place, but it sounds fantastic through any cab I throw at it. The settings can change pretty drastically depending on if I'm using V30's or Greenbacks or Blackbacks, 2x12's or 4x12's.
I've got at 50w DSL here at home now. I'm very interested in those settings. :) My current settings are, first of all Lead 1 as I feel Lead 2 has way too much gain.

Setting every EQ knob at 4 (volume 3 and gain at 5, deep and tone shift off) is almost identical to the Friedman HBE 2018 amp sim on defaults settings on the Fractal. :D That just tells me that these amps are really good since that's my favorite amp sim and I use the default settings a lot.

I was even able to enter Mesa territory with the deep switch engaged, presence at 0 and treble, middle and bass on full. Gain around 6 or so. Kind of a slightly looser Mesa Mark series type sound.

Not to derail the thread but regarding the DSL...When I used to gig mine I ran the presence at or close to 0 and had the EQ between 4 and 7 depending on the cab and room (usually Lead 2 with the gain barely around 2). The 50's and 100's sound similar but each has their own unique thing going on. Even though it's an amp I'd absolutely love to see modelled in the Axe the Friedman 2018 models get really close with this IR.

I've got at 50w DSL here at home now. I'm very interested in those settings. :) My current settings are, first of all Lead 1 as I feel Lead 2 has way too much gain.

Setting every EQ knob at 4 (volume 3 and gain at 5, deep and tone shift off) is almost identical to the Friedman HBE 2018 amp sim on defaults settings on the Fractal. :D That just tells me that these amps are really good since that's my favorite amp sim and I use the default settings a lot.

I was even able to enter Mesa territory with the deep switch engaged, presence at 0 and treble, middle and bass on full. Gain around 6 or so. Kind of a slightly looser Mesa Mark series type sound.

The DSL's change quite a bit between 50 and 100 watt models and even different years effect the sound, so our amps may sound similar or worlds apart. I think we have 8 DSL100 heads all with the same mod and they all sound different. When I used a tube rig with Paramore, to get "that sound" I used a DSL through the Mesa 4x12 from The Bipolar Pack. Deep switch on, Bass at 6 or 7, Mid around 7-9, treble 4 and presence 3, but I take the presence up a bit when recording. OD1 with the gain at 4 and master volume at 3-3.5. I think we used 12AT7's or 12AU7's in the first preamp tube slot to clean up the fizz along with a Mercury Magnetics OT, but you can take the input trim down to .7-.8 to get close to it. The original HBE model is the closest I found to my particular head with a couple minor tweaks in the GEQ section, but nothing cut or boosted more than a Db and a half. When I run the head through my Zilla, Orange, or Park, the settings change quite a bit, but that's where they landed with my particular Mesa 4x12 and mic setup. I also used a ZVex Super Duper in front of it that was always on. Glad you're getting into the Marshall world. It's a fun place to be.

Not to derail the thread but regarding the DSL...When I used to gig mine I ran the presence at or close to 0 and had the EQ between 4 and 7 depending on the cab and room (usually Lead 2 with the gain barely around 2). The 50's and 100's sound similar but each has their own unique thing going on. Even though it's an amp I'd absolutely love to see modelled in the Axe the Friedman 2018 models get really close with this IR.

Man, if Cliff ever wanted it, I'd be glad to send him my DSL. That and the 1959SLP are Marshall's best selling amps of all time and I'd love to see it in the Axe someday. Until then, the Atomica High and BE C45 are treating me right. And you weren't kidding...the Atomica through the Park IR is just silly. I think I'm finally starting to like Greenbacks.

Glad you're getting into the Marshall world. It's a fun place to be.
I actually started out with Marshalls as a kid and since I got into the whole Mesa thing I never looked back until I got a JVM and a JMD which put me on a long hiatus. JVM just has way too much gain for anything. JMD was a disappointment as well. But after hearing you talk so highly of the DSL and hearing some clips of it compared to the Friedman HBE, I started getting GAS for it.

The weird part of it is that the kind of tones I like with my Mesa amps are not impossible to do with Marshall amps. Honestly I think I can make Mesa and Marshall sound closer to one another than two different V30 speakers. Here's a quick example I made at the studio today:

Goes in this order:
1. Axe-Fx III Friedman HBE 2018
2. Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50
3. Axe-Fx III USA Lead
4. Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50

They're not 100% but they're not worlds apart either. No match EQ or nothing either.

This thread is / was about this Greenback IR, right? ;)

Since I play a Greenback cab I was very happy to see this one come up. Unfortunately I absolutely don't like it. It's waaaaay too bassy and the top end just doesn't sound good to me either. I don't even like it with my main low gain amp, the Plexi! That one usually shines with Greenback-IRs...

OK, I could use high and low cuts, but to be honest, this never made a bad IR sound good to me. And I want IRs to sound good without cuts, because a well miced box hanging on a decent amplifier also doesn't need cutting, so why should this be required in our little black box?!

I'm sorry dude! Actually, the only free IR posted here that I liked is ML's "Best IR in the world". That one sounds amazing, both on headphones and at the FOH on gigs.

Since I play a Greenback cab I was very happy to see this one come up. Unfortunately I absolutely don't like it. It's waaaaay too bassy and the top end just doesn't sound good to me either. I don't even like it with my main low gain amp, the Plexi! That one usually shines with Greenback-IRs...

OK, I could use high and low cuts, but to be honest, this never made a bad IR sound good to me. And I want IRs to sound good without cuts, because a well miced box hanging on a decent amplifier also doesn't need cutting, so why should this be required in our little black box?!

I'm sorry dude! Actually, the only free IR posted here that I liked is ML's "Best IR in the world". That one sounds amazing, both on headphones and at the FOH on gigs.
Well thank you I guess. :)

I just wanted to point out that there have been dozens of different "Greenbacks" and almost ten different "V30" designs that unfortunately go by these same names. I swear that the original V30 spec (used on that IR you liked) is surprisingly similar to a pre-Rola Greenback in it's sound. So it's really hard to know what people mean when the love/hate "the Greenback or V30 sound". Most likely even they don't know which of those designs they've heard. Even the same spec in 16ohm/8ohm sound different in my experience.

General rule of thumb. Any new cabinet that you can buy from the store these days... doesn't have good speakers in it. :D Obviously my opinion.

It's ok if this IR isn't for you. My guess is that you probably like a brighter mic like a 57 or even an e906 in a brighter position. Maybe you like a 25 watt greenback? Maybe you like the H versions? Maybe you prefer a different cab? Maybe you're not a fan of ribbon mics? It's completely fine and understandable that this one file isn't for everyone. This is a FREE IR I made for fun and just thought it would be cool to share it with the community, so no offense taken.

As far as low and high cuts go, you can't be afraid to use them. I've never met a good FOH guy, and we've had some of the best in the industry, NOT use a low cut on real guitar cabs, so if an IR is an accurate representation of a cab, speaker, and mic... then it makes sense that you might want to do a low cut to the IR as well. Try setting the low cut anywhere from 80-120 and see where it feels good to you. The KSM313 has a lot of low end and greenbacks in general tend to be low-end-heavy, so I'm not surprised that that's an area of concern for you.

Anyway, have a great day, and thanks for being honest.

General rule of thumb. Any new cabinet that you can buy from the store these days... doesn't have good speakers in it. :D Obviously my opinion.

While I agree that a lot of new cabinets don't sound that great, I have to respectfully disagree that ANY new cab doesn't have good speakers in it. I'll say that a lot of new cabinets aren't made out of great wood, which cabinet construction and materials hugely impact the sound. But a big factor is breaking in your speakers. Whether it's guitar speakers, headphones, or studio monitors, speaker break-in is crucial to getting things to sound right. For instance, my studio monitors are ATC SCM25A's. For the price, I thought they would come out of the box sounding like celestial beings, but they were really bright and hardly had any low end to them at all. I read up and people said they needed weeks, if not months for the drivers to break in properly and balance the sound. Several months later, these monitors are absolutely glorious and sound worlds apart from how they did out of the box. Guitar speakers are no different. They take time to break in at volumes that are hard to get away with for extended periods of time, but after a while, they end up settling in and sound like they should. For instance, your Zilla cabs had new speakers in them and people seemed to really enjoy that cab pack. They use good materials, good construction, and I'm sure you gave those speakers a big workout while shooting them. All that to say, not all new cabs have bad speakers in them, they just need a little TLC to get them where they need to be.

I will agree though that my favorite V30's are about 10-15 years old. Old speakers can sound awesome or sound like garbage, and same goes for new ones. I'm sure our experiences have similarities and differences, but the common thread is that if it's a good sounding source, the IR's will be great. If it's a bad sounding source, the IR's are going to suffer.

In hopes of steering this thread back to the cab at hand, it has 20 watt Heritage G12M Greenbacks. We sat it side by side with a NEW Marshall 1960BX with 25 watt greenbacks and it was night and day how much the speaker and cabinet construction changed the sound. The Park blew the Marshall out of the water (both with new speakers) and I immediately went searching on Reverb for a '70's Checkerboard cabinet. I got one, but I'm enjoying this Park so much that I haven't even loaded the 70's Marshall cab yet. Playing with new mic combinations outside of just 57's and 121's has been really inspiring as well to "shock" my ears and being open to new sounds, and this Park IR is doing that for me.

And I'm not trying to start any conflict or anything. Just needed to share an alternative opinion based on my experiences.

I definitely agree with you Justin. The "new speakers sound bad" reference was merely a joke. Like you mentioned, Zilla cabs are a good example and having talked with Paul (CEO of Zilla) he really loves the newer Creambacks. Not only that but I feel like the way the Zilla cabs are built is very unique. Those 2x12s have more low end than most 4x12s and it's a very smooth and focused low end while with a traditional 4x12 you can sometimes get too much rumble or sometimes you don't get that at all depending on the cab. Orange is also a good example. I'm not 100% sure if their new cabs still have the original V30 spec speakers in them. At least the Orange cab that I have, has those that Orange custom ordered from UK Celestion that's supposedly the original V30 spec.

Many old speakers sound bad as well. F.ex. the G12-65 reissue sounds better to me than an original G12-65 that has aged now. Maybe the original speaker didn't age well or something. Who knows? :) I was merely commenting on the general language that guitar players use generalizing speakers like "I hate Greenbacks" when a Greenback can literally be two dozen different speaker designs. Some even count the 70s Creambacks and Blackbacks as "Greenbacks". Another weird thing I heard about was that Celestion themselves said that the 20w Heritage Greenback (is this the one that you shot the IR from @York Audio?) is the exact same speaker as the EVH speaker they make. Reading the specs on their website, they're identical. Check it:

https://celestion.com/product/24/heritage_series_g12m/
https://celestion.com/product/28/g12_evh/

The ones that I have are at least very similar in sound but obviously not identical just like if you compare two V30s with the same spec, they won't sound the same.

Back
Top Bottom