New Cab Pack! ML Bulb Zilla UltraRes™ Collection

Admin M@

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
ANNOUNCING ML-BULB-ZILLA!

Cab Pack: ML Bulb Zilla - UltraRes
contains User Cab IRs produced for Fractal Audio Systems by Mikko Logrén from ML Sound Lab and Misha “Bulb” Mansoor from Periphery in collaboration with Paul Gough from Zilla Cabs™.
This collection includes 240 single mic IR’s and 69 mixed IR’s of all six different Celestion™ speakers on the three 2x12 Zilla Cabs™. Misha Mansoor created 8 Preset-Cab Bundles to be used with both the Axe-Fx II and AX8 and the ML Zilla Misha folder which features 20 mixed IR’s. This pack also includes the Alloy IR Mix Collection, with intentional inter-microphone phasing to add the unique but pleasant character we expect when using multiple microphones on a real guitar cabinet and regular mixes for every speaker type.
Cab-Pack-Zilla.png

Last edited:
Thank you guys! The feedback is much appreciated and I love how positive it is and has been throughout all the beta phases. :)

We really wanted to get the message across as accurately as possible so we spent all our proceeds from Cab Pack 13 on a TV ad. Sadly we could only afford a company that's known for creating toy ads in the 90s. Anyways here's what we got in the end:

If you want to hear the pack in action check these videos:

I know most of these examples are higher gain but I'm working on lower gain examples already so stay tuned for those. :)

Mikko, I love that commercial. Made me laugh, and a good laugh is what I need today!

I'm most definitely getting this cab pack!
Hahahaha well thank you! Humor/comedy is my favorite genre but it's the one that easy to do badly. :D If I get one laugh I'll take that as a success.

I looked up the speaker list:

Speakers:

• ML Zilla Cream ALN, based on a Zilla Cabs™ Modern 2x12 with a Celestion™ Cream Alnico® speaker
  • ML Zilla Cream H, based on a Zilla Cabs™ Custom Fatboy 2x12 with a Celestion™ G12H-75 Creamback® speaker
  • ML Zilla Cream M, based on a Zilla Cabs™ Modern 2x12 with a Celestion™ G12M-65 Creamback® speaker
  • ML Zilla Green M, based on a Zilla Cabs™ Super Fatboy 2x12 with a Celestion™ G12M Greenback® speaker
  • ML Zilla K100 M, based on a Zilla Cabs™ Super Fatboy 2x12 with a Celestion™ G12K-100® speaker
  • ML Zilla V30, based on a Zilla Cabs™ Custom Fatboy 2x12 with a Celestion™ Vintage 30® speaker
Was hoping for the G12H30 :)

I looked up the speaker list:

Speakers:

• ML Zilla Cream ALN, based on a Zilla Cabs™ Modern 2x12 with a Celestion™ Cream Alnico® speaker
  • ML Zilla Cream H, based on a Zilla Cabs™ Custom Fatboy 2x12 with a Celestion™ G12H-75 Creamback® speaker
  • ML Zilla Cream M, based on a Zilla Cabs™ Modern 2x12 with a Celestion™ G12M-65 Creamback® speaker
  • ML Zilla Green M, based on a Zilla Cabs™ Super Fatboy 2x12 with a Celestion™ G12M Greenback® speaker
  • ML Zilla K100 M, based on a Zilla Cabs™ Super Fatboy 2x12 with a Celestion™ G12K-100® speaker
  • ML Zilla V30, based on a Zilla Cabs™ Custom Fatboy 2x12 with a Celestion™ Vintage 30® speaker
Was hoping for the G12H30 :)
The speakers used in this Cab Pack were actually specced out by Paul Gough from Zilla Cabs. The G12H30 is a good speaker for sure. That's the one in Cab Pack 20 in the "ML Brit HW" cabinet. Almost and Alnico type high end with sort of a modern Greenback bite.

The speakers used in this Cab Pack were actually specced out by Paul Gough from Zilla Cabs. The G12H30 is a good speaker for sure. That's the one in Cab Pack 20 in the "ML Brit HW" cabinet. Almost and Alnico type high end with sort of a modern Greenback bite.

The combo of cabinet type and chosen speaker in this cab pack look amazing. Each speaker put into a cab perfectly designed to enhance that speakers strengths.

These were worth the wait.
And of course, worth the price of admission- $30 for over 300 ir's, then throw in the expertise of Mikko, Misha, and Paul?
Done deal!

Overlooking the speaker diversity for a second, I'd like to note that there's a lot of sonic versatility in this cab pack; without any apparent sacrifice in usability. Bass heavy, scooped, overly bright, disgustingly midsy, even FLAT ir's represented.

They feel good, they sound good, there's plenty of representation for cleans, mid gain, and high gain-
Looks like we've got plenty of exploration to do.

These were worth the wait.
And of course, worth the price of admission- $30 for over 300 ir's, then throw in the expertise of Mikko, Misha, and Paul?
Done deal!

Overlooking the speaker diversity for a second, I'd like to note that there's a lot of sonic versatility in this cab pack; without any apparent sacrifice in usability. Bass heavy, scooped, overly bright, disgustingly midsy, even FLAT ir's represented.

They feel good, they sound good, there's plenty of representation for cleans, mid gain, and high gain-
Looks like we've got plenty of exploration to do.
When we were beta testing we didn't hear any talk about pricing, I just assumed based on the multiple cabs and speakers included would make this a slight more expensive collection pack. It wasn't until I saw the listing on the online store that I realised it was only $29.99, that is super value if you ask me.

Your point about the expertise of Mikko, Misha and Paul is spot on too.

Does it completely blow away cab pack 13? Or is it just different? I've been pretty happy with 13. But, I'm contemplating this. Especially since it includes presets.

This is my absolute favorite Cab-Pack, As a big boogie amps fan I can say it works very well with these amps especially with USA IIC++ and all Triaxis modes, I suggest this IRs for those amps that I mentioned above :

ML Zilla V30
ML Zilla Cream H
ML Zilla Green M

Also I love all Misha's IRs and Mixes IRs, they're working very responsive and natural to my ears with Friedman amps, PHV6160 BLOCK, 5153.

Does it completely blow away cab pack 13? Or is it just different? I've been pretty happy with 13. But, I'm contemplating this. Especially since it includes presets.

It's a personal preference thing really. Both packs are great for different reasons.
CP13 has always been my favourite but the Zilla pack is my number 1 now. The simple reason is that I feel the recordings I've done with this pack have produced my best guitar tones yet with a lot less work and next to no post production.

The best way I can think of to describe the difference is that CP13 has rawness and a slightly untamed characteristic that is really cool. You get that with some of the Zilla IRs as well but you also get some really refined and crisp tones that sit really well in the mix without having to work too hard for it.

There is a presence and clarity in the Zilla pack that is really impressive and Mikko's Colour Wheel approach worked really well also. It's like you go through each IR and the tonal variation is incremental, this makes fine tuning your tone really easy.

Does it blow CP13 away?
No, it's just different and it depends on what you like as far as your ideal tone goes.
Both packs are excellent, in fact they are my two favourite closely followed by the ML Brit 4x12 Collection and I'd happily use either.
CP13 will probably still be my go to for my fuzz tones, I found a combination that works really well. Other stuff I find more suited to the Zilla pack. IRs from other packs will play a part in what I do going forward depending on what I'm trying to achieve.

CP13 is the flagship for ML and Bulb Zilla is the title challenger.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom