New Cab Pack! FAR FIELD Session 1

Yeah, I would think that phase with these is going to need to be aligned. You are blending mics from two different distances from the source.

The original comment is referencing the SoundCloud clip I posted - I’m not doing any IR mixing, just a single one AC-20 T30 D IR.

Try any of the T30 D IR's - For example, 2x12 Brown Super FF T30 D.
I had a chance tonight to preview the first sample. Well howdy! It sounded better, still had the pop I need but it was smoother sounding. So hey thanks...appreciate the heads up! :)

Are these IRs minimum phase transformed?
I'm asking because I'm having quite different results when mixing these IRs in Cab Lab compared to mixing in the Axe FX 3. Even if I import them into the Axe in MPT mode and use the MPT mode in Cab Lab the results are different between the Axe FX and Cab Lab (sometimes just a little, sometimes drastically). Same goes for auto trim even if used in both the Axe Fx (when importing) and Cab Lab.

So unfortunately if you are looking for reflection-free Far field IRs, these pack won't be it. Windowing them out using the Normal Res option in the IR player block is not enough, as there are reflections way before that.

The early reflections in these probably accounts for the "phasiness" @Patzag points out.

0BnvTOz.png

dUQElvz.png

For comparison, this is how an IR behaves when there are no reflections in the area of interest (i.e. in the first 20ms or so). Note how it decays more smoothly and faster when there are no reflections.

TwDrAnZ.jpg

Just conveying information, since we had to buy this pack pretty much blind.

I’m away on a medical trip so I have to postpone my experimentation with these.
I believe I can make good use of these to complement my favorite IRs. A little smoothing may go a long way.
It won’t be for a few weeks but I hope to post results and demos when I return.

From Cliffs posts on TGP
It looks like they are going to drag 8 of their cabs into the warehouse in a
Week or 2 and shoot another set

A lot of intresting data in that Thread about IRs actually with Jay Mitchell
Chiming in about Far field. What they are and are not

A lot of opinions but for the most part civil and a good debate

Has this question been asked or answered previously: Will these IRs work with the AX8? I apologize in advance if it's a redundant question.

Thanks.

Wow.. those 18 pages were interesting. I didn't know who Jay was until it was pointed out that he designed the CLR and I recognize ML from his posts on this forum. The thread gives me hope that there will finally be FF IRs that give the AITR feel or sound. The clips didn't do much for me because I didn't run them thru my Xitone at volume. I'm still confused as to why ML got some tough love from Jay. I'm assuming there's a history I'm unaware of ( and don't want to know). But I still felt that ML's questions never got answered, at least in a way that I could understand.

What I'm confused about is how FF would be used direct to FOH or on recordings unless it was mixed with a NF IR. I envision a use where the FF IR is used for stage monitoring or home enjoyment but NF IR's used to go to the FOH to sit in a mix. OR...a blend (which may have been Jay's A).

Anyway, it's awesome that we may be getting closer to AITR stuff thru a FRFR. But I did love Cliff's Captain Obvious statement: "If you want amp in the room, just run it thru a guitar cab".

I use FF IRs for recording all the time. I don't feel a need to mix them. Works great. For years, I haven't used NF IRs at all.

If the unanswered question that you refer to is regarding 1024 pt IRs not representing frequencies below 200Hz, the formula for frequency resolution of a FIR filter is Fs/n. Fs (sample rate) / n (number of points).
At 48kHz a 1024 point IR has a resolution of 46.875Hz.

I use FF IRs for recording all the time. I don't feel a need to mix them. Works great. For years, I haven't used NF IRs at all.

If the unanswered question that you refer to is regarding 1024 pt IRs not representing frequencies below 200Hz, the formula for frequency resolution of a FIR filter is Fs/n. Fs (sample rate) / n (number of points).
At 48kHz a 1024 point IR has a resolution of 46.875Hz.

I’m so out of my league with that stuff I couldn’t tell you if that answered the question...lol. I’m just thrilled that some smart folks are trying to tackle the amp in the room feel thru a monitor. And i of course I realize there are limitations. A single 12” w/ coaxial isn’t going to push air like 4-12’s.

That’s such a common myth but it’s not generally true.
My KRK Rokit8 studio monitors are SOLID down to 35Hz. I imagine a single 12" with a coaxial tweeter and a powerful enough amp would not have any problem filling the room well enough to chase out all the insects and small, furry animals.... :)

Back
Top Bottom