New Cab Pack! FAR FIELD Session 1

Been waiting for these since Cliff announced them. I hope there will be other far field packs with cabs geared more towards heavier tones since this is my main application. Still very tempted to try this pack ASAP.

Been waiting for these since Cliff announced them. I hope there will be other far field packs with cabs geared more towards heavier tones since this is my main application. Still very tempted to try this pack ASAP.

I think session 1 means series

Cliff owns some nice Marshall cabs
Recto. Bogner cab too
Probably some of the cabs reshot from the other FAS packs perhapd

Paid with a card I've used many times this year, took four hours to process - got it now though (just in time to have to go to work)

I’d love to hear sound samples of this pack.

Tried them last night and they do need to be carefully mixed with something else as only a few sound usable on their own in my initial run.

This will give depth for sure and i achieved best results using separate tracks rather then mixing them in CabLab.

Last edited:
@ Fractal Audio
Can elaborate what we get with this cab pack? There are 4 combo amps shot with a reference mic (TC30), a boundary layer mic (PCC-160) and a pressure zone mic (PZM-30D) in 7 positions (A-G). In theory this means 4 x 3 x 7 = 84 single IRs. The description says 94. Are there any mixes? Are all of those IRs mixes since I imagine that an IR of a pressure zone mic won't be too useful by itself?

No, but there will be a bit of unavoidable reflection. Remember the resolution of the low end is also improved by UltraRes.
Honestly kind of surprised that these far-field IRs are 170 ms and contain some reflections. That isn't what the far-field IR enthusiasts on this forum advocate or use.

Could you please share if the measurements were taken such that all reflections fall outside of the first ~20 ms of the IR? Wondering if I can get this pack and window it to ~20 ms for use as far-field IRs without reflections. I'd appreciate as well if you could share how these were captured.

Got them, and think they’re wonderful - on anything up to and including Plexi level of gain, absolutely (when mixed with others) add a chunk more realism.

Classic Fractal, completely happy with the sounds I have - then you add something and you can’t go back.

It’s not much money - give them a go!

Metal test using the ML Sound Labs Freeman Cab Pack and mixing one of the Far Field IRs using my Mesa Mark III head, Suhr reactive load direct to Logic.

32728470687_29db37a104.jpg

Has PZM too. Now i'm really interested. Are any of the positions in the back/side of cab as per ACDC ~ didn't they use a mic on one of the back corners of his cab for some of their recordings? :)

Here's a quick clip comparing the factory Brown Super 160 IR against a few different FF combinations.

Clip 1 - Close Mic
Clip 2 - Close Mic + FF Blend
Clip 3 - FF Only
Clip 4 - Close + Multiple FF

Blending a FF IR together with a close mic is a really great way to take out some of the harshness from a close mic capture and avoid ear fatigue at high volumes. I look forward to trying this some more.

Back
Top Bottom