New BOSS SY-1000. The Hex-pickup is not dead. Long live the 13-pin plug!

Brad - does your TriplePlay track well not being next to the bridge?

I considered getting one before but since I'd already done this dance with a GK-2A years ago I didn't want to modify guitars to mount it (none of mine have enough space between the pickup ring and bridge).

When I checked the FAQ for TriplePlay I recall them being very specific about mounting as close to the bridge as possible.
Believe it depends on the guitar...on the Rasmus, which is essentially a Suhr Modern, the triple play works perfectly where you see it , and aside from the still-sorta buggy TP software app, I think the TP pitch-to MIDI may have a slight edge on the SY 1000 , though I may not have mastered tweaking the MIDI parameters on the Boss unit yet..
Maybe it isn’t a fair comparison, but what’s your thoughts on the Triple Play compared to the SY-1000? I would only be using it at home, not live performing so being tie to a computer wouldn’t really be an issue.
As I mention above , I’m not 100% sure yet about the pitch to midi, but the SY 1000 is insanely deep, the layering and variety of Stock sounds is occasionally inspiring, and it does guitar/amp modeling ok..It is a worthy piece of kit. The triple play is really good with controlling pitch bend parameters and the like, and like the SY 1000, has individual string midi control..as far as Midi Guitar 2...
Wow! Thanks @unix-guy! I checked this out and it is amazing! Just curious, how did you hear about this? I never seem to be able to locate these really cool apps.
I seem to remember that I may have been the first to post about the magic going on at www.jamorigin.com on this forum...but I could be deluded. It is still amazing for what it does, and IMO, is also one of the best Apps to integrate with the FAS units, and it is a excellent VST/AU host as well........

Last edited:
Installing a GK pickup is literally as involved as you want to make it. They make an internal kit that blends in nicely but requires some drilling and routing. Or you can install an external GK pickup with either double sided tape, drilling a couple holes, or using one of the 3rd party mounting adapters available for some guitars. It's not hard at all with an external GK pickup.

I found the external pickup with the double sided tape not being very reliable. I kept hitting the cable and eventually ripped off the whole pickup. Tracking wasn't so great either. This is why I keep monitoring eBay/reverb.com for a Roland GC1 but they're hard to get.

I found the external pickup with the double sided tape not being very reliable. I kept hitting the cable and eventually ripped off the whole pickup. Tracking wasn't so great either. This is why I keep monitoring eBay/reverb.com for a Roland GC1 but they're hard to get.

It used to be called the Fender Roland Ready Stratocaster - same guitar and there's usually a few around. They did a USA one for a while but most were MIM.

Maybe your cousin would enjoy that?
Yup. The only hard part with him is that when gets going he doesn't stop. On that video I posted he was still singing after the song ended. Had to edit it back to the last line that kinf of fit. Lol
We do know how to have fun!

Hey guys!
New to the sync world but alrdy confused. I’m into Chet bakers trumpet again lately and want to get some cool guitar trumpet sync sound. Which of the Roland Gr‘s would you pros recommend? I heard that the trumpet on the gr33 should be the thing??
Please help me :D

.....maybe time to finally replace my GR-30 from 1990........
Dude i was thinking exactly that, time to throw it back on my good ol 1985 Ned Newburgh Steiny GL2T

(I didnt expec that Price though, I think I could still find a nice GK3+33 unit, albeit old, for a couple hundred, no?)

Last edited:
Dude i was thinking exactly that, time to throw it back on my good ol 1985 Ned Newburgh Steiny GL2T

(I didnt expec that Price though, I think I could still find a nice GK3+33 unit, albeit old, for a couple hundred, no?)
The 33 is awesome for PCM stuff. But not any sort of SY1000 substitute.

I am buying a VG-99 again. I made a miscalculation evaluating the differences with the SY-1000 (differences regarding the v-instrument section and hex-processing. I don't care about their amp modeling and effects).

I quickly sold my VG-99 before purchasing the SY-1000, thinking that its price would fall with the arrival of the SY-1000, but that was not a wise movement.

meme-faces-26-1.jpg

Fortunately, I've found one for a similar price to my selling price, so I will not lose money.

The SY-1000 is also a keeper. I will get a Roland US-20 or I will wait for the new PRIMOVA GX-2 to be released, to use both the VG and the SY simultaneously. It is great that the Axe-FX III has so many inputs :)

I don't regret having sold the GP-10, though. It is totally covered and surpassed by the SY-1000

Last edited:
I am buying a VG-99 again. I made a miscalculation evaluating the differences with the SY-1000 (differences regarding the v-instrument section and hex-processing. I don't care about their amp modeling and effects).

I thought that the SY-1000 was an upgraded version of the VG-99. What are the main differences?

I’d say on the whole it’s an upgrade but there’s a surprising lack of some features. For example there’s no polyphonic harmonizer, which just boggles my mind. That’s one of the top things that would benefit from 6 string processing.

Reactions: jon
I thought that the SY-1000 was an upgraded version of the VG-99. What are the main differences?

Initially I thought that it was only the Poly Harmonizer and the Poly Slow-Gear, but the SY-1000 doesn't have Variable Guitar (that was very powerful, it allowed to design your own guitar), Bowed, Pipe, Solo, Crystal, Organ and Brass v-instruments. Polyphonic Effects are very limited, even comparing with the VG8EX. No Polyphonic freeze. No custom pickup angle and position (at the VG-99 you can move the pickup to any position relative to the bridge, even under the neck, and recreate impossible virtual angles)

The SY-1000 is an upgrade of the VG-99 Amp modelers and standard effects, but that is of no interest for the Axe-FX owners. Some V-guitar hexaphonic capabilities have been downgraded while others have been developed, like the use 3 simultaneous v-instruments (at the VG-99 you can use two)

Back
Top Bottom