• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

NEW BASS DAY!!

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor

I got me a new bass and had to record a new clip. There's a lot of "coming soon" being used on this song but more on that later.

I noticed that all my favorite bass sounds from Foo Fighters to Green Day to even Blink 182 where the bass is loud in the mix and still not overbearing are a Fender Precision bass so I went for it and boy am I happy. I got a blue one with a maple neck and that neck is supposed to give me a more present tone or so I've heard. I'm a heavy-handed guitar player which usually doesn't work with playing bass but this one sounds good when I smack it. :) I'll post some pretty pictures when the sun goes up.

I'm thinking about a pickup upgrade. Anyone have experience with that? Everyone keeps saying the Seymour Duncan SPB-3 is what I should get. Help! :)

Brownmatthall

Power User
If the spb-3 is the quarter pound then yes get that, sounds phenomenal in a p bass imo. Maple will also give you a snappier brighter attack that I like in my bass tones, I'd consider myself a heavy handed player as well and the longer scale length + the quarter pound will only reward that. HNBD!

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
If the spb-3 is the quarter pound then yes get that, sounds phenomenal in a p bass imo. Maple will also give you a snappier brighter attack that I like in my bass tones, I'd consider myself a heavy handed player as well and the longer scale length + the quarter pound will only reward that. HNBD!
Oh yes that's a +1 for the SPB-3 Quarter Pounder! The pickup is especially important in a bass like this with just one pickup and not a lot of settings. :) Cheers buddy.

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
I know what you mean by the bass being cracked in the mix, but not overbearing. Fender's are definitely a nice way to go for that particular sound. My preference lies with the jazz bass however. Sweet clip!
Yeah I feel like most basses including Music Man, Ibanez etc. have a strong and weird high end to them while Fenders are really smooth in the higher frequencies. I was also thinking about will it be jazz or precision. I already made an offer for a 5-string Jazz bass but I changed my mind.. mainly because of this video and the Precision bass at 2:34. That's just perfection. Also the Gibson basses in the beginning sound nice.

ProgressiveRocco

Experienced
sounds great! love the p bass, funny you're mentioning blink 182, one on my favorite records production-wise is Take off your pants and jacket..man that album sounds AWESOME!

Noriuky73

Power User
Unless you're a bass player ( I know you're not )... Why split something which is gold for 90% of the greatest bassist ?!
Everybody here is a "nerd" so it's ok ! But I feel this is not going to make a difference at the end .
Not enough playing to see the differences ...
If you're Victor Wooten at the bass ... I apologize and come back to my trolling cave :D

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
Unless you're a bass player ( I know you're not )... Why split something which is gold for 90% of the greatest bassist ?!
Everybody here is a "nerd" so it's ok ! But I feel this is not going to make a difference at the end .
Not enough playing to see the differences ...
If you're Victor Wooten at the bass ... I apologize and come back to my trolling cave :D
Oh I suck at bass don't get me wrong. :D

Top Bottom