New Bass Day: "More of the Same"

selta

Power User
Well, I'm in a pretty happy place.
A few months ago, I received my Dingwall Combustion V4 5 string. Pretty much a week after SeeD got his. It quite quickly became my goto bass for my recording and both bands I'm in.
I never like going without a backup, and both bands also work in different tunings (one is always 1/2 step down, the other is standard or Drop-A). So to ease my mind of having a great backup and be able to switch tunings even easier, I sought out a backup Combustion.
While I like my V4, there is something about the older ones that I liked as well. I can't quite put my finger on it - they're just slightly different tonally. It is likely the preamp, the Vol/Vol/Bass/Treble setup instead of Vol/Bal/Selector/Bass/Treble... I dunno. Either way, it's super pleasing to have something very similar, but slightly different.

Without further ado... my pair of Dingwalls (shitty photo, since it was late/dark):
pair.jpg

On the far right you can see some of my other gear trying to sneak into the picture and feel relevant...
Red Sparkle unlined fretless EBMM Bongo 5 HS
Firemist Orange EBMM Sterling 5 HH
Spector Euro 5 LX

More/better photos coming "soon".

infinitely jealous that youve not only got one but TWO flippin dingwalls, HNBD haha
Hah. Well, it'll get better... when the 6 string Combustions come out next year (supposedly), I'll be in line getting one of those.
I'd love to get an Afterburner - 5 string, blue quilted maple, 3 band Glock preamp... but, I just can't justify that much on a bass. I'd love to support Sheldon more directly, and if my disposable income level rises I will... but for now, the import Combustions will have to do (funny that I say import since, for me in the US, even the Canadian ones would be "imports")...

Hah. Well, it'll get better... when the 6 string Combustions come out next year (supposedly), I'll be in line getting one of those.
I'd love to get an Afterburner - 5 string, blue quilted maple, 3 band Glock preamp... but, I just can't justify that much on a bass. I'd love to support Sheldon more directly, and if my disposable income level rises I will... but for now, the import Combustions will have to do (funny that I say import since, for me in the US, even the Canadian ones would be "imports")...
Ive heard there was a 4 string combustion in the works too, which would probably be the straw the breaks my wallet...

Yes, 4 string Combustions are real - in fact, you can order one right now. I think they'll be formally introduced at NAMM '16, but if you talk to your local Dingwall dealer, they can put the order in now (if they don't know about it, tell them to call Sheldon and he'll confirm).

Oh, and I just heard that the Combustion 6's will be out, at the earliest, at NAMM '17 - they're going to start prototype work after NAMM '16.

welp, just checked the dingwall site and the one NY dealer is like 30 minutes away from me....definitely gotta pop by one of these days haha

Yup! I don't know for sure, but I bet the lead time on a Combustion order is at least a couple of months right now. They're still having issues keeping up with the NG-2 and V4s :)

I'll be honest, those ng2s are pretty temping at that price point too... (I'm talking like I have the money to drop on a new instrument here)

I've been aware of Dingwall for years, how did I not even know they're Canadian? Bonus points!

I might be in the market for another bass. How easy was it to get used to fanned frets? And how easy to go back? I'm currently playing guitar AND bass, switching mid-set vice\versa with the other guitar\bass player. The feel is already a bit weird switching, I don't want it to feel even weirder.

Yeah, Sheldon and crew are in Saskatoon. I think a lot of L&Ms carry Dingwalls, too.

For me, it was super easy to "get used" to fanned frets. I put "get used" in quotes because honestly, I didn't even truly notice a transition period at all. I picked it up, started playing it, and it felt right at home. The only time I had any bit of trouble was when I'd do chord in the upper register (>15th fret). Otherwise, it took me no time at all... and going back to boring 'ol parallel frets is smooth still, too. My only fretless is unlined EBMM Bongo, and my intonation is spot on still when I play it, for example.

Each person is different... I do know some people that couldn't swing it for some reason. The one person I know personally, was a guy who stares at the fretboard, so I think that was throwing him off.

If you're wanting a Dingwall, I would very, very much say to "just do it". Even if you can't try one before buying, just pick up a used Combustion or NG-2... if you don't like it, you can turn around and sell it again for probably very little loss, if any. Just like more bass players need to try the Axe-Fx products, they also need to try a Dingwall!

Back
Top Bottom