New band for old-timers/Zeppelin fans: Greta van Fleet

Unearthing this thread. Great band, I've missed them somehow all these years. Today YouTube Music app put them in my queue automatically after my usual stuff, and I was like "wow, this is pretty nice". Here's the song YouTube suggested:

Robert Plant praised them FWIW.

I saw them live last year June 2019 and they were amazing! Majority of bands these days sound like garbage compared to their recordings because everything is edited and quantized but these guys can really play and perform. A lot of people complain that the singer sounds like other iconic singers. To be honest, I'd be honored if people compared me to my heros. Many musicians spend tons of money and go out of their way to buy the same gear as their heros and try to play just like them. It's not the singers fault he was born with iconic vocal chords. He can't just trade them in like a guitar or amp to get a different sound. I hope they keep rocking out and releasing new music and ignore the haters.

Yeah, for Plant-grade pipes I can forgive a lot. Plant himself can’t do what this kid does anymore.

I saw them live last year June 2019 and they were amazing! Majority of bands these days sound like garbage compared to their recordings because everything is edited and quantized but these guys can really play and perform. A lot of people complain that the singer sounds like other iconic singers. To be honest, I'd be honored if people compared me to my heros. Many musicians spend tons of money and go out of their way to buy the same gear as their heros and try to play just like them. It's not the singers fault he was born with iconic vocal chords. He can't just trade them in like a guitar or amp to get a different sound. I hope they keep rocking out and releasing new music and ignore the haters.

Thing is, people who spend tons of money to go out of their way to have the same gear as their heroes usually have no other ambition to sound like their heroes. And that seems to be GvF's MO. And it's okay if the singer sounds like another famous artist, your influences and abilities form part of who you are. But if the rest of the band also sounds like that artists, as does their songs, yeah, then its not a very original band.

I'd like to see this guy write original material in the style of Queen as well:

I'm not even gonna care that he's not "original" as long as he writes new songs and they are good.

i would find them much more enjoyable if the singer did a little more than just yell! We get it kid, you got good pipes but if that’s all you can do, you aren’t going to last very long...

God damn the kid has pipes. I can't get enough of it. All he needs to do is embrace a more self-destructive lifestyle, and he will be a real, grade AAA+ rock star. In 2020, when you were told it's impossible to be a successful rock vocalist.

I'm all for great young talent. I love Led Zeppelin. GvFleet is young. Zeppelin is old. I'd prefer to hear new young talent do something that we haven't already heard a million times. I wish them luck and hope their creative aspirations match those of their obvious idols. I'm sure they'll do well over the long haul if they stay clean and keep together. I'm not so sure they'll match a fraction of the impact Led Zep had on the music world, and they've already - for better or worse - pigeon-holed themselves by consciously producing music that is blatantly Led Zep. Time will tell.

Their songwriting and playing are not in Zep's league (not even close), but I'm happy that younger people have a new raw alternative to the artificial mass-produced Max Martin shit that the contemporary music industry refuses to stray from.

Their songwriting and playing are not in Zep's league (not even close), but I'm happy that younger people have a new raw alternative to the artificial mass-produced Max Martin shit that the contemporary music industry refuses to stray from.

For certain, I'll take Great van Fleet 10x out of 10 compared to that stuff. I'm at the 'get off my lawn' stage of my life now, and there's just so little I hear that inspires. It's probably just me, though. Every so often, I'll hear something new that scratches the itch, but not enough, unfortunately.

Zeppelin doesn't exist anymore though - that ship had sailed 40 years ago. You aren't ever going to hear a new Led Zeppelin song. Plant can't sing like this kid sings either. GVF is just starting out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Safari Song, Highway Tune, Edge of Darkness & Black Smoke Rising are better songs than 99% of rock I hear nowadays. I love Zeppelin.....but so what if these guys sound like them! They are rocking out & doing their thing. Who knows how they will evolve.

Everybody thought Working Man by Rush was the latest Zeppelin song when DJ Donna Halper first debuted it on Cleveland's WMMS FM/100.7 station in 1974(first time still unsigned Rush were played anywhere in America!). The station lit up with callers wanting to know where they could buy the killer new Zeppelin release.......Rush as everyone knows ended up having a legendary career sounding nothing like that first album.

Even if Greta Van Fleet after many years still ends up mostly sounding like Zeppelin, so what? As long as the tunes are good who cares? Most rock is either crap now or simply nonexistent.

Back
Top Bottom