New AxeFxTutorials preview :O

chris

Owner's Manual Reader
hey guys,

so i run AxeFxTutorials.com. and i haven't been posting for a while. using Wordpress, the process to add things is... pretty rough. i use Divi to get the site to look the way i want, and it requires dealing with so many "boxes" just to add simple information.

i've used Notion for a while now for other projects, more as a note-taking, info-storing platform. but had a thought to try and rebuild AFT there and... i think it's actually working!

i've spent the last 3 days manually porting the site to the Notion platform and it's not quite done yet, but far enough along that i think i can show it to people.

Notion isn't as flashy as what i can do with Wordpress, but the main benefit is that i can edit and add things so much easier. i just open my Notion client, and type. that's it. no back end, no tons of menus and properties and codes to adjust.

i'm still working on ways to improve the lists/galleries to present information better, but i think it's way easier to find things now than it was before.

the Homepage is the main way to get around. there are "breadcrumbs" on the very top left of the page which help you go to previous pages, and most importantly return to the Homepage. there, you click on the name of the gear you want to see, as well as links to other resources and areas of the site.

once in the specific gear area like Axe3, you can see latest firmware and edit, all release notes (this takes a while to load as there's a lot of text there), and other resources. near the bottom of these pages are Articles i've written. in any List or Gallery you see, look for various View options - you'll see something like "Articles - Latest (Click for Options). if you hover in that Articles area, you'll also see a Search area appear - these work best when viewing "all articles" or whatever option i have there.

if you click an article or anything and a "pop up" type view comes up, just click outside that box or press Escape to exit that. you could also make that pop up view become full page with the Full Page option on the top left of the pop up.

again this is still a work in progress. right now it's on a sub-domain, but i plan to move it to the root domain at some point.

pretty much gonna stick with the layout as is, but will be adjusting things as i go.

i also plan to feature other creators who make Fractal content, linking their videos or sites. i've always wanted this to be a dynamic resource page, but organizing and posting on Wordpress was rough for this. Notion allows multiple tags to be used, which can help me organize things much better.

anyway, as i said this is a preview and i haven't migrated everything yet, but i'm very excited about the possibilities and ease of this platform for a website. in 3 days i did the amount of work that would have taken me 2 weeks or more on Wordpress.

hope you like it, and i hope to add a ton more over time.

be sure to try Light vs Dark mode when viewed on a PC/Mac. it's a keyboard shortcut i mention at the start of the homepage.

https://www.notion.so/axefxtutorials/AxeFxTutorials-e63bfbe66a9b4122bdca9a4d0b5b54cf

Last edited:
Love the dark mode! I'd been wailing at suggestion boxes for decades saying that the amount of light getting blasted into peoples' eyes by computer screens and windows is doing real damage.

Can we get a dark theme for this forum?

Love the dark mode! I'd been wailing at suggestion boxes for decades saying that the amount of light getting blasted into peoples' eyes by computer screens and windows is doing real damage.

Can we get a dark theme for this forum?
thanks! yeah dark mode is my preference for almost everything these days.

hey guys,

so i run AxeFxTutorials.com. and i haven't been posting for a while. using Wordpress, the process to add things is... pretty rough. i use Divi to get the site to look the way i want, and it requires dealing with so many "boxes" just to add simple information.

i've used Notion for a while now for other projects, more as a note-taking, info-storing platform. but had a thought to try and rebuild AFT there and... i think it's actually working!

i've spent the last 3 days manually porting the site to the Notion platform and it's not quite done yet, but far enough along that i think i can show it to people.

Notion isn't as flashy as what i can do with Wordpress, but the main benefit is that i can edit and add things so much easier. i just open my Notion client, and type. that's it. no back end, no tons of menus and properties and codes to adjust.

i'm still working on ways to improve the lists/galleries to present information better, but i think it's way easier to find things now than it was before.

the Homepage is the main way to get around. there are "breadcrumbs" on the very top left of the page which help you go to previous pages, and most importantly return to the Homepage. there, you click on the name of the gear you want to see, as well as links to other resources and areas of the site.

once in the specific gear area like Axe3, you can see latest firmware and edit, all release notes (this takes a while to load as there's a lot of text there), and other resources. near the bottom of these pages are Articles i've written. in any List or Gallery you see, look for various View options - you'll see something like "Articles - Latest (Click for Options). if you hover in that Articles area, you'll also see a Search area appear - these work best when viewing "all articles" or whatever option i have there.

if you click an article or anything and a "pop up" type view comes up, just click outside that box or press Escape to exit that. you could also make that pop up view become full page with the Full Page option on the top left of the pop up.

again this is still a work in progress. right now it's on a sub-domain, but i plan to move it to the root domain at some point.

pretty much gonna stick with the layout as is, but will be adjusting things as i go.

i also plan to feature other creators who make Fractal content, linking their videos or sites. i've always wanted this to be a dynamic resource page, but organizing and posting on Wordpress was rough for this. Notion allows multiple tags to be used, which can help me organize things much better.

anyway, as i said this is a preview and i haven't migrated everything yet, but i'm very excited about the possibilities and ease of this platform for a website. in 3 days i did the amount of work that would have taken me 2 weeks or more on Wordpress.

hope you like it, and i hope to add a ton more over time.

be sure to try Light vs Dark mode when viewed on a PC/Mac. it's a keyboard shortcut i mention at the start of the homepage.

https://notion.axefxtutorials.com/

Chris, you were the first to help me with the Fractal ecosystem. I watched all your videos before I bought my first AXEFx a few years ago. First the KKM channel, then later the AxeFx Tutorials, and now you have made another step forward. I have seen your gradual development from an enthusiast to a professional guru. I very much appreciate your constant commitment to professional support for all users of Fractal products. And I'm sincerely looking forward to you not giving up your great job. Cheers from Slovakia. 👍

Chris, you were the first to help me with the Fractal ecosystem. I watched all your videos before I bought my first AXEFx a few years ago. First the KKM channel, then later the AxeFx Tutorials, and now you have made another step forward. I have seen your gradual development from an enthusiast to a professional guru. I very much appreciate your constant commitment to professional support for all users of Fractal products. And I'm sincerely looking forward to you not giving up your great job. Cheers from Slovakia. 👍
Hey thanks! I just like helping people and I seem to understand the Axe products. Takes a lot of time to keep current but I enjoy it when I have the time!

well, i'm glad i started migrating the site because i updated the wordpress version and... it completely broke everything! ugh that platform is getting more and more complicated every day.

SO my site isn't accessible at all right now via my AFT domain. i'm putting the Notion link in the first post for now until i can get all the DNS stuff to point correctly.

wow. so glad i started this. i'd have lost my site on wordpress for a second time!

Back
Top Bottom