New AxeFx II Video Clip..Gainier Mark Day

But what tube amps are you comparing this demo too? "valve warmth" on what valve amp? "Ice Pick"??
I have a Vox AC15 if you want to talk about "Ice Pick" from a tube amp!!

My solution, change the original valves to a set of JJ's..perfect!

I get out what i put in..what you hear from the demo's are what have been dialed in, if it's not your thing then dial out the harshness you don't like, if you cant/wont do that then it's not the product for you. :)

I'm sorry that I don't adhere to the "everything that comes out of an Axe Fx is godly" school of thought around here. If I shoved a Zoom 9030 inside an Axe 2 casing, everyone would still be raving. It would seem that individuals listen with their eyes as opposed to their ears. I reiterate - ice pick digital cold to my ear. You have your eyes.

It would seem that individuals listen with their eyes as opposed to their ears.
That is effectively stating your opinion as fact. Careful with that.

I listened without video, and although it's not the best tone i've heard coming from axe-fx - i couldn't call it digital.
YMMV.

That is effectively stating your opinion as fact. Careful with that.

I listened without video, and although it's not the best tone i've heard coming from axe-fx - i couldn't call it digital.
YMMV.

So, if I say "wow, that is great tone man", that is not "effectively stating opinion as fact"??? I just said the opposite.

I'm sorry that I don't adhere to the "everything that comes out of an Axe Fx is godly" school of thought around here. If I shoved a Zoom 9030 inside an Axe 2 casing, everyone would still be raving. It would seem that individuals listen with their eyes as opposed to their ears. I reiterate - ice pick digital cold to my ear. You have your eyes.

But your answer makes no sense..i asked you what "Valve Warmth" amp are you comparing this too??

For the record i bought the Vox because i didn't like the Ultra replica, and wont sell it even when i buy the AxII so the "everything that comes out of an Axe Fx is godly" mentality is not as common as you suggest.

And yes there is a harshness to the tone i agree, but like i said in my reply to you..if you don't like that about the tone then dial it out.

You are only stating your opinion listening through monitors, Mark recored this through his Macbook speakers and was still able to come up with a decent tone.

Last edited:
it was just a bit condescending to imply that people should "open their ears" and stop watching I thought. Maybe there's something in that, don't know.
No worries man, you didn't like the tone. Good to get some balanced opinions on here anyway.

You said it sounds brittle and harsh. and "Digital in a word." Maybe you just don't like that tone. That's fine. So you know, it IS digital, and sounds great. It stopped being analog from the moment the guitar signal hit the first ADC. And that's the point.

You say we're listening with our eyes. That may or may not be true of some. But we could say you're listening with your preconceived opinion of digital gear just the same. Especially considering you compare a piece of gear you've NEVER USED and NEVER HEARD IN PERSON to a Zoom 9030.

But your answer makes no sense..i asked you what Valve Warmth" amp are you comparing this too??

For the record i bought the Vox because i didn't like the Ultra replica, and wont sell it even when i buy the AxII so the "everything that comes out of an Axe Fx is godly"
mentality is not as common as you suggest.

And yes there is a harshness to the tone i agree, but like i said in my reply to you..if you don't like that about the tone then dial it out.

I think you misunderstand me. Everyone is saying that as is, this tone is awesome (apart from one other guy who agrees with me). I merely said that, to my ear, it sounds harsh. Of course it can be dialled out but as is, it sounds ice-pick brittle. Each to their own. They have their opinion, I have mine.

Lol. I've had an Axe ultra since it came out! It's great! Don't like this demo tone that's all! Is that a problem!?

If I shoved a Zoom 9030 inside an Axe 2 casing, everyone would still be raving. It would seem that individuals listen with their eyes as opposed to their ears. I reiterate - ice pick digital cold to my ear. You have your eyes.

implying everyone but you is delusional and tone-deaf.
nice.

:roll

Lol. I've had an Axe ultra since it came out! It's great! Don't like this demo tone that's all! Is that a problem!?

No.

The problem is you essentially tell everyone who likes the tone they're wrong for not hearing it the way you do. And you say they are "listening with their eyes" instead of accepting their opinion as you expect everyone else to accept yours.

it was just a bit condescending to imply that people should "open their ears" and stop watching I thought. Maybe there's something in that, don't know.
No worries man, you didn't like the tone. Good to get some balanced opinions on here anyway.
No worries likewise! A lot of the comments on here are pretty gushing and I think everyone's opinion is valid. The harshness can be dialed out! Don't like this demo tone that's all! I love my Axe! Peace :)

No.

The problem is you essentially tell everyone who likes the tone they're wrong for not hearing it the way you do. And you say they are "listening with their eyes" instead of accepting their opinion as you expect everyone else to accept yours.

No

You are telling me that my opinion of the tone is invalid and that I have to agree with the general consensus.

Each to their own. They have their opinion, I have mine.

Exactly..and my response to you wasn't a challenge to say you were wrong..i just wanted to know what you were comparing this too..

But to start with the "everything that comes out of an Axe Fx is godly" "If I shoved a Zoom 9030 inside an Axe 2 casing, everyone would still be raving" accusations when the majority are nothing like that will only lead to people taking issue with you..then you leave with the attitude..they believe that "everything that comes out of an Axe Fx is godly" LOL!! ;)

And i'm not having a go at you..nobody is taking issue with what you think about the clip, many people here will not like it in the slightest!

Maybe your choice of words to describe other people didn't do you any favors..but sure it happens to me daily!! :mrgreen

Last edited:
No, you've got me wrong. If Fractal have produced a "digital replica" of valves and tube amp simulation, (as they also claimed with the Ultra, I believe), I'm all ears. It's just that I don't hear valve warmth whatsoever in this demo. Ice-pick digital-cold. I would love to have said the opposite because I've ordered an Axe 2. To date, of the demos available of the Axe 2, only the tape echo clips have seriously impressed.

Why would you say "i would love to have said the opposite because i've ordered an Axe2", if you truly believed the harshness you hear can be dialed out. You must be worried that it can't be.

You are obviously not a fan of the type of tones Mark goes for. He loves lots of gain, we all know this. Reduce gain and tweak to taste. Whats the problem.

You claim now that you know all it needs is tweaking, so why did you not first just say " hey guys the clip is not tweaked to my liking but that's an easy fix"??

Instead i quote you saying you are somehow worried about the Axe2 you ordered. If you truly believed all the things you are hearing that you don't like in 99% of the clips released so far were easily fixed by tweaks then you would not have made this statement. Just admit your worried that the crap your hearing can't be tweaked out. lol

I think Marks clip sounds awesome!!

Last edited:
OK. Framus Dragon head. There's hardly anything critical on here which might assist in Fractal in R n D. I think the reverbs are grainy on the Ultra, for example. I still haven't found the lush, crystalline "TC" chorus on the Ultra either. Am I allowed to comment on this forum? Or just agree? Seriously.......

If that sounds cold, brittle, digital and harsh to you, how about you put up a clip of the incredible, warm, analog, tubey tones you think are great so we all can be enlightened?

I have an Engl E570, Egnater M4 a Lexicon Signature 284 and a Randall Rt2/50 power amp. Those are all pure tube goodness and I don't think I've ever acheived a better 80's metal sound out of my tube gear than what he just did in that clip. IMO, he nailed the tone of that era and genre.
Unless your name is Mutt Lange, you might be wise to be a little more humble in your critiques. While it's possible that my ears aren't as golden as yours, it's just as possible that your ears suck and you wouldn't know a great tone if it was staring you in the face.
Lastly, while you commented on how the rest of us are likely just listening with our eyes, it's just as possible that you did too and decided that because it was a digital modeller, the sound you saw was digital sounding and harsh. :) Had he shot the video to look like he was playing through a real Marsha amp etc, my money is on that you would have thought the tone rocked.
Is it possible that YOU listened with your eyes or are the rest of us the only ones capable of imperfection?

cheers,
Steve

OK. Framus Dragon head. There's hardly anything critical on here which might assist in Fractal in R n D. I think the reverbs are grainy on the Ultra, for example. I still haven't found the lush, crystalline "TC" chorus on the Ultra either. Am I allowed to comment on this forum? Or just agree? Seriously.......

Wish list or check out the new effects on the Ax II :D

Back
Top Bottom