New Axe-Fx user looking for some guidance

Hello everyone! i'm new to the world of Axe FX, and Amp Modeling in general, (the last modeler i owned was the original Line 6 Pod lol) and i was hoping i might get some answers from you guys to help get me started, some questions are a bit more in depth than others, but any info you guys can give me would be appreciated, thanks in advance everyone!

1. the Axe FX manual is a labyrinth, and not as descriptive in some places as i would like, does anyone know of any good video tutorials for the Axe FX 3? i'm particularly interested in modeling my Peavey JSX but i'm not sure i know exactly how to go about that, and general video guides would be helpful too.

2. how can i run my Axe FX 3 as a USB device, but keep my current audio interface? i work in Logic, i have an old presonus 1818VSL audiobox hooked up, and into it i have my microphones, midi devices and now my axe FX audio going straight in, this is a decent set up for now but every time i want to update my firmware or re-amp i have to re-arrange my whole setup and its a bit of a pain in the ass, and using my axe FX as my audio interface prevents me from recording vocals and midi at the same time, which is a problem for me, is there any way i can get the benefits of re-amping without having to re-arrange all my cables every time?

3. whats the deal on the foot controllers? when are they coming out/how much will they be? im looking for a controller that lets me jump through a predetermined series of presets in a specific order with one button, is that possible? will the foot controllers have controls for wah/volume etc? can i control something like distortion with a foot pedal?

4. whats the difference between "beta" firmware and normal firmware updates?

5. can i sync the axe fx delay up with my DAW?

6. where is a good place to get presets (aside from these forums) and how might i load them up?

Don't dismiss the manual. Read it, and remember how we eat elephants... one bite at a time. Use the wiki too - tons of good intel there. The forum search function will also help you find others who've been helped with something you might be running up against.

Look up "Axe Change" - "The official source for presets & cabs for your Axe-FX"

Depth of complexity and customization accompanies Fractal products. I personally like the journey that comes with learning how to use them. But, I have friends who just want to flip a switch and go, and are not interested in the deep dive. I'd suggest considering the enjoyment of the journey if you haven't already.

Good luck!

1. if you do a youtube search for Axe-Fx III you will find some basic tutorials - download others patches from axchange and look at how they were put together. Some offer preset packs that are not very expensive that can be looked at also. Post a link to an example in the preset exchange sub forum and some here can usually point you in the right direction.
2.Install the driver from the download page. You can select the interface you want to use in your DAW.
3.The FAS foot controllers should be here soon - $499 and $699 iirc? Many midi controllers already available will let you do the basic switching and use expression pedals.
4.Beta firmware is when new features are added a Cliff is kind enough to let us test them :) If there's bugs found he sorts them out before final is released.
5. Yes
6. Axechange (available in newest versions of Axedit and online) users here on the forum sell preset packs. Load them (presets) with Axe-edit III that's available from the download page

Question 1:

The manual was written more as an encyclopedic reference guide than a novel. Don't worry about reading it all at once, it's not meant for that!
I'd recommend starting out ultra simple. input -> amp -> cab -> output ...and then adding a drive pedal + delay or reverb after you get familiar.

Also... here are a few links for reference:

wiki - Amp block = http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Amp_block
wiki - Amp models = http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Amplifier_models_list
wiki - Drive block = http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Drive_block
wiki - Delay block = http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Delay_block

resources for downloads:
Fractal Bot (for firmware updates and backing up your presets)= https://www.fractalaudio.com/fractal-bot/
USB Drivers = https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/drivers/axe-fx-3/Axe-Fx_3_USB_Driver_Setup_4p47.zip
Axe Edit = https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-iii-edit/

Question 4:

Beta firmware updates are simply updates that are almost good to go, but *might* be buggy. I usually avoid them but they're put out there as an opportunity for the community to play around with an update before it's officially ready, and to provide feedback to Fractal in the event that issues are discovered.

Question 6:

In all honesty, you're better off building your own presets. Almost every preset I've ever downloaded has sounded different than what it sounded like on youtube or soundcloud, etc. for a variety of reasons, like that I have different guitars/pickups/playing technique/monitors/room/and probably firmware version than the preset creator did, as firmware is updated pretty regularly.

Of course my experience is anecdotal, but it's something you'll hear echoed a lot around here as most people experience the same kind of thing. Plus, building your own presets is actually more fun than downloading them once you get your head around the process.

Last edited:
I'll second Cooper's tutorial vid. The last one I was was good stuff.

+1. If you want one all encompassing guide, this is the way to go.

However, Chris has very many video's that cover basics. Look around and you shall find. You have some learning to do, but if you start with editing existing presets to your liking, you'll begin to discover what is 'your thing'. Last caveat: Don't think there's a 'right' way to carve tone, there is only what works for you.

btw, if you're on a mac, you can create an "aggregate device" from your current interface and the axe in audio/midi setup. logic will then see both devices as one.

the axe receives midi clock, so will sync with logic...you just have to make sure that logic is sending it out. check the synchronisation prefs in logic.

"beta" means it's still in the testing stage and may have bugs. wait for the official release if you're in the middle of something critical.

When got my first axe-II i wanted to know everything the second after it crossed my doorstep. It didn't take me long to realize that it was not gonna happen. The possibilities on the axe are just so overwhelming.
So, if you just received your axe, my advice is....Set it up, go thru the factory presets to get a feel for the possibilities, download axe-edit, try to set up a simple patch with an amp/cap, explore the simple stuff and maybe add a few effects.
When your fingers start to bleed....sit back and enjoy some of the many youtube tutorials (as mentioned by other posters). The Axe-Fx2 videos are still valid for most of the concepts.
So...basically.....start small...take it one step at a time. You will learn to master the axe eventually...it will just not happen in one day.

Regarding the tech stuff including usb connections and daw's....there are many threads to read in the forum that might answer all you questions :)

Hello everyone!
I bought the "Dream" Fractal Ax-Fx III processor.

I was watching this video before buying. This video convinced me that Fractal Ax-Fx III was for me.
I'm a man of Fender.
I'm looking for a more beautiful Fender sound.
The video contains 1.17 guitar sound
3.45- guitar sound
3.56 - guitar sound
5.05 - guitar sound
9.56 - guitar sound
11.15 - guitar sound
12.53 - guitar sound
For me these sounds are very nice.
I have fender guitars. I work on iMac Pro. Logic Pro X is DAW.
Dynaudio LYD -48 is my earphone system.
For Cooper Carter's audible sound, what's the optimal setting for me to hear such voices before my computer?
I see that Output Level Knobs 1- are in different ways.
Can anybody help me to figure out how to make these sounds come true.
In front of my computer, and when I play live, it is.
I have two tube end amplifiers with Blue Alnico loudspeakers.
Maybe I can understand my problem.
Thanks for the help.
Sorry, if it's not entirely clear what I wrote.
I do not speak English. That's why I use Google Translator.

Hi Jozef,
I may have misunderstood but it sounds like you are using a 2 x 12 cab? If so, try using studio monitors, or even headphones to setup a sound in the axefx - that way you will not be encumbered by the sound of your speakers.
Maybe start with some of the presets on axe change, or get hold of Mokes, or Austinbuddys presets - they are a great place to start.
Then, once you have some presets setup, you could disable the cab blocks and try your 2 x 12 again.
Like I said, I may have misunderstood and if so, I apologise.
Thanks
Pauly

Back
Top Bottom